walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Alpine Starts for Alpine Days - Glencoe

Alpine Starts for Alpine Days - Glencoe

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:21 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 19/03/2015

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Alpine Coe

I had to be back by mid-late morning so the alarm was set for 03.30 ! Ouch! :shock:

The Aurora was showing itself the night before and I had hoped to catch a glimpse of it, being up in the middle of the night!! However it was not to be, as a layer of cloud spoiled this (you wouldn’t think it seeing the pictures below!!).

Anyway, eventually arrived at Glencoe in the darkness, and started out at 05.45 with just enough light to walk without the head torch. As dawn approached, the cloud disappeared east leaving blue skies 
The views were stunning and the snow was feeling good. Crampons were on relatively low down on the walk in and the snow was crunching under them – felt nice….. :D

ImageGlence sunrise-04664 by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Into the Loachain by 0730 ish and it was empty. I think this is the first time I’ve been the first here. There was no wind, the sun was rising in the east and the blue skies complemented the white peaks beautifully. I was tempted by Boomerang and NC but opted to head straight up Broad Gully and I reached the summit not long after 0800. It was amazing. The views were magnificent, there was no wind and everything felt Alpine.

ImageDISTANT BEN-04678 by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImageCoe-04707 by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

I could have stayed here all day. I wanted to go and keep walking but other commitments meant I had to come back down.

ImageSCNL-00633 by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

A quick descent back down Broad Gully and back into the (still empty) Corrie!
I met a number of teams heading up, in the Valley, and I must admit to feeling jealous that they were away to have a stonking day when I was done and headed home. However it was a fantastic wee trip.

A good couple of trips to the Coe 

A few days previously...

Crowberry Gully – March 2015

https://youtu.be/k5F7WNWATKQ?list=UUJyJKu3ysdceGqK_JaZFUNA

Blog reports, photos and magic films from The Ben had been flooding the world wide web for the week leading up to our trip away and this had initiated a trip to the Ben with a number of possible objectives.

The alarm was set earlier than usual (04.45!ZZZzzzzzz) and we met at Crianlarich for 0600hrs. We were all tired but the weather was looking superb and I was certainly looking forward to the day ahead. As we drove north, dawn approached and the stars gradually gave way to crystal clear blue skies.

Imagethe bridge-00540 by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Past Rannoch Moor and a quick stop at the Jacksonville car park was required. This is where the plans changed!:) On stepping out in to the sunshine we were greeted by an icy nip and an imposing Buachaille staring down on us. We stared back……… and noticed a fine white line weaving its way to the summit. Crowberry Gully looked in great nick. The binos were grabbed and a new plan hatched!!

Ten minutes later we were parked at Altnafeadh and getting our gear ready :)  The sun was splitting the sky and the air was sharp.

The car park wasn’t busy although we were early and only two other teams were on their way about the same time as us – seemed they had a similar plan

Round the Waterslab and the snow here was solid Neve which was in stark contrast to a week previously when we were wading through soggy wet mush!!! We were soon heading up the Crowberry basin and into Crowberry Gully. Things were looking good!! We soloed a fair distance up the Gully before waiting behind the two teams of two ahead of us. It was a tad chilly in shade of the gully and not moving – however once the teams moved on things moved fairly smoothly. We soloed Thin Crack Chimney as most of it was well banked out and a short pitch brought us to the Junction Pitch.

Imageentering crowberry gully-00551 by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Mark led this and the ice and neve was good. I even found myself enjoying this as I followed up behind Gerry. Mostly first time placements and my nice new shiny crampons were biting nicely!! The first part was steep then some easier ground before reaching the Cave.

Imagecrowberry gully-00568 by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Gerry led the Cave pitch which was similar to the Junction with good placements all the way. A fantastic couple of pitches in one of the most atmospheric places I visited 

Belayed just below the top I past Gerry and Mark to top out into glorious sunshine and still calm sharp air. The crystal clear views were astounding – smiles remained on our faces for about three days after!!!!

Lunch on the summit then a descent in to the Coire where there some impressive fissures, seracs and crevasses!!!!!!

ImageBidean leave-00613 by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

A fine day on the mountains and one to remember!!
Last edited by wilkiemurray on Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wilkiemurray

Re: Alpine Starts for Alpine Days - Glencoe

Postby litljortindan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:53 pm

I think it's great that you share these videos -they are incredible. Keep them coming.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby gman » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:49 pm

Great stuff, same conditions yesterday on SCNL.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby sross » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:47 pm

This makes me very thankful that we've included Glencoe in our SCOTLAND travels for later this year. Stunning vistas. :clap:
sross
Mountaineer

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:20 am

litljortindan wrote:I think it's great that you share these videos -they are incredible. Keep them coming.

Thanks Litljortindan- hope people enjoy them- sometime end up walking twice as far when filming - setting camera up ad then walking past and then back etc etc haha :crazy:

ATB

M
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:21 am

[quote="gman"]Great stuff, same conditions yesterday on SCNL.[/quo

It was :D loved your report, its one on my wish list soon - lookslik a grand day out.

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:22 am

sross wrote:This makes me very thankful that we've included Glencoe in our SCOTLAND travels for later this year. Stunning vistas. :clap:

Hope the sun shines when you visit :D

ATB

M
wilkiemurray

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland