walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochnagar and more, from Auchallater, What a day!

Lochnagar and more, from Auchallater, What a day!

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:37 pm

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar

Date walked: 21/03/2015

Time taken: 12 hours

Distance: 36.63 km

Ascent: 1542m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another Argyll Mountaineering Club's weekends landed us in the Braemar area and it was the to be a small but select party to converge to meet in 'The Bothy' a fairly new Coffee shop in Braemar as the Fife Arms Hotel had the decidedly Closed look, maybe it opens at Easter? The Big Three of us discussed, plans A, B, and C and finally a plan of action was hatched over fabulous bacon rolls and coffee. Plan A Two Munros, Plan B three Munros and Plan C Five Munros, no contest really, plan C it was as the MWIS forecast was looking good for Saturday in particular for the whole day. The time now was about 1300hrs and the decided to drive back down A93 to Auchallater also one of the starts of Jock's Road, walk in with big packs to Loch Callater where two were to find accommodation at the MBA Bothy 'The Stables' and I was to pitch my tent overlooking the loch. The walk to Loch Callater took us our heavy packs just over an hour, after pitching the tent and getting our tea at the bothy it was an early night to get us prepared for the Big day ahead (Saturday). One of the group had been struggling with blisters with his 4 season boots so the approach from this side meant that after scaling Lochnagar we could just return and leave Cairn Bannoch and Broad Cairn for another day, if we needed to.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
The Bothy in Braemar where a warm welcome awaits with a huge selection of food and drinks. This is where the weekend plans were hatched over a few spread out OS Maps
2.JPG
After leaving the carpark at Auchallater, large size will take probably more than a dozen cars £2.50 pay at machine. There is a good track all the way to Callater Lodge and Loch and Bothy, there is a bridge crossing of the Callater Burn approximately at half distance (just over 5k to Loch etc)
3.JPG
Group photograph just outside the Bothy. After a freezing night in the tent I was glad to get moving. The route starts just at a boundary fence to the North of the Bothy, the path is generally well constructed and the gradient makes for easy walking. Left Bothy at 0845hrs
4.JPG
Looking back to the Lodge, Loch and Bothy from the path above
5.JPG
Gradual climbing on the East side of Loch Callater
6.JPG
In all my hill walking years I have never seen so much wildlife, Mountain Hares with their winter coats, hundreds of Red Grouse, Ptarmagan and Deer
7.JPG
Told you it was a frosty night, Brrrrrrrrrr, nice shapes!
8.JPG
After leaving the path which goes to the South of Carn an t-Sagairt Mor we headed directly up to the summit and found a piece of a wrecked aircraft, a wheel. Summit time 1 3/4hrs from the bothy
9.JPG
There are two summit cairns we went to both as both looked nearly the same height. Next was to head over to the summit of the Munro Top Carn an t-Sagairt Beag
10.JPG
This was the one time we took it very steady and probably we should have fitted crampons but in the end the micro spikes were fine
11.JPG
Looking over to Broad Cairn and Cairn Bannoch with the Dubh Loch in between
12.JPG
Looking North West where even bigger hills were looking very inviting
13.JPG
Summit cairn on Carn an t- Saigairt Beag looking towards The Stuic, Lochnagar and Carn a' Choire Bhoidheach on the right
14.JPG
Thought it was cold in the tent last night Loch nan Eun just North of The Stuic
15.JPG
The cliffs and Snow Cornice at The Stuic
16.JPG
The cairn of Carn a' Choire Bhoidheach on the horizon with some icy parts to negotiate
17.JPG
Another climber from Aberdeen with his dog from Aberdeen who had an early start from Loch Muick took this for us, thanks again if your reading. Time from bothy to this summit 2h 20mins
18.JPG
The Summit of Lochnagar looking pretty busy as we were expecting on such a glorious day
19.JPG
Two of the gang with two others from Forfar and District Hill Walking Club, Hi again, nice to have met you all, hope you enjoyed the day as much as we did! We left the summit at 1400hrs
20.JPG
Heading off Lochnagar to the South
21.JPG
Traversing the SE slopes of Carn an t-Sagairt Mor heading for Cairn Bannoch
22.JPG
Looking towards Cairn Bannoch
23.JPG
Summit cairn of Cairn Bannoch looking towards our last Munro targer Broad Cairn the Munro I have climbed the most times always from Glen Doll
Attachments
24.JPG
Loch Muick from the summit cairn of Broad Cairn. The return journey saw us keeping to low p[oints over the flattish summit following the ATV track in places and joining up with the path up and around Carn an t-Saigairt Mor back to the bothy, Ten hours in total with a few stops for chats and food drink stops.
Allow for just over an hour to be added for both the inward and outward journeys to the bothy making Twelve hours in total.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Lochnagar and more, from Auchallater, What a day!

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:45 pm

Lovely - enjoyed reading and seeing that. Beautiful conditions too :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby davetherave » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:08 pm

Yes, Saturday was a supreme winters day. We did a few from Glenfeshie on same day.

Your day looked much busier than what ours was

Days like those will make many people jealous indeed.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:23 pm

Nice one Rod, up to your usual descriptive standards :clap: :clap:
How did you manage with your light rucksack? :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:33 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Lovely - enjoyed reading and seeing that. Beautiful conditions too :D

Glad you enjoyed it, we certainly did, wonderful conditions, days you dream of.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:36 pm

davetherave wrote:Yes, Saturday was a supreme winters day. We did a few from Glenfeshie on same day.

Your day looked much busier than what ours was

Days like those will make many people jealous indeed.

Hi Davetherave, busy only on Lochnagar as you would expect, unforgettable, glad we made the most of such a day :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:39 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Nice one Rod, up to your usual descriptive standards :clap: :clap:
How did you manage with your light rucksack? :lol:

A fabulous day Martin, hope we get a similar day next month up North :D I managed to get it down to 22.7k, far too heavy, I must try harder, but have learned some lessons, to include some satchets of coffee rather than all sugar :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:25 pm

Hi Rod, I like your report. Looks like really big day and good weather condition with a blue sky. I admire also your condition :) especially with that loaded rucksack...great trip in great area...all 5 hills = good effort...Well done ! :clap: :clap: Nice to see the place again after two weeks...feeling the air and views, still in my memories and also in my legs :lol: Just "missing" the neverending path around Loch Muick :lol: :D
Good choice of day, the saturday was really nice 1st spring day and you welcomed the spring by the right way ! :wink:
I was working all weekend, but fortunatelly I had good sunny day on my day off on wednesday 18th, enjoyed views in sunshine and blue sky on my trip Creag Meagaidh circuit :) Hope to meet you somewhere this year :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:34 pm

Petr Dakota wrote:Hi Rod, I like your report. Looks like really big day and good weather condition with a blue sky. I admire also your condition :) especially with that loaded rucksack...great trip in great area...all 5 hills = good effort...Well done ! :clap: :clap: Nice to see the place again after two weeks...feeling the air and views, still in my memories and also in my legs :lol: Just "missing" the neverending path around Loch Muick :lol: :D
Good choice of day, the saturday was really nice 1st spring day and you welcomed the spring by the right way ! :wink:
I was working all weekend, but fortunatelly I had good sunny day on my day off on wednesday 18th, enjoyed views in sunshine and blue sky on my trip Creag Meagaidh circuit :) Hope to meet you somewhere this year :wink:

Thanks Petr, still to do this starting from Glen Doll, vie Broad Cairn, Bannoch over the others to Lochnagar then down yo loch Muick and back over Capel Month back to Glen Doll, a biggie, think I'll leave it to longer days and after a dry period and travel light. Don't think its been done by a WH as yet, better check it out :lol: Fancy it? You could give me a piggy back on the latter stages :lol: :lol: Pity you were working this weekend :( :(
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Happyfeet » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:37 am

Great walk Rod :clap: lovely pics and all the wild life and frost, looks absolutely stunning. Super report too! :D
Happyfeet
Munro compleatist

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:24   

Postby jepsonscotland » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:00 am

Another great report. :clap: :clap:

And now I know what they all look like!! :shock:
I always get clag there!! :lol:

You're absolutely right about the wildlife. I've never seen so much as I have over past few months.
Especially deer and grouse.

Nice one. :wink:
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:08 am

What a cracker! I always wondered if any Walkhighlander would try to bag all 5 Muick M's from this side - glad you enjoyed it! And on a lovely, bright day :D

I have some good memories from Glen Callater, we climbed Carn an t-Sagairt Mor and Carn a' Choire Bhoidheach from this direction, sadly didn't have enough time to continue to the other 3 (did the rest from Loch Muick side). I remember we found quite a few bits of the wrecked plane - a piece of wing, parts of the engine, scattered all over the western slopes of Carn an t-Sagairt Mor. It was a Canberra bomber that crashed in November 1956, the cause of the accident is still unknown!
A piece of Canberra:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:24 pm

Some round that Rod, never seen them done from that side, well played :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:27 pm

Happyfeet wrote:Great walk Rod :clap: lovely pics and all the wild life and frost, looks absolutely stunning. Super report too! :D

Thanks Emms, it was as you say Stunning! An unforgettable day, still to get my backpacking fine tuned, WHAT A WEIGHT :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:30 pm

jepsonscotland wrote:Another great report. :clap: :clap:

And now I know what they all look like!! :shock:
I always get clag there!! :lol:

You're absolutely right about the wildlife. I've never seen so much as I have over past few months.
Especially deer and grouse.

Nice one. :wink:
Chris

Thanks Chris, just thought it would be a good idea to test the fitness before Martins journey North next month, look forward to a catch up then, fingers crossed similar weather will prevail :wink:
The Rodmiester
Walker

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland