walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Brutal Beinn Chabhair

Brutal Beinn Chabhair

Postby jupe1407 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:35 pm

Route description: Beinn Chabhair, from Inverarnan

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Chabhair

Date walked: 21/03/2015

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1003m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've been wanting to get Beinn Chabhair done for quite a while, as it's a quite annoying wee single at the west end of the Crianlarich hills. I hadn't given the route or potential difficulty much thought. Of course i'd failed to factor in just how horrible climbing, and more particularly descending even a relatively straightforward munro would be with a niggling knee injury.

The injury in question goes back to late last summer when I jarred my knee coming down from Monadh Mor. Being male, and stupid, I of course did absolutely nothing about it, and continued to play football, and climb hills when the opportunities presented themselves. This lack of common sense would finally catch me up on Saturday, the start of a what would otherwise be a great couple of days in an around Glen Coe, staying at the SYHA just along from the Clachaig.

Anyway, the morning began with a mildly hilarious drive to Glen Coe, via Scoob's house to pick up a set of crampons, which was then followed by a breakneck drive to find an open public convenience, which proved mildly less difficult than finding El Dorado.

I eventually arrived at the wonderfully bizarre Drovers' Inn to meet Graham and Robert. The walk in is rather short, a couple of hundred yards to the Ben Glas Farm bridge, across and up the track, somehow missing the totally obvious sign diverting us right, and then failing to then head left to the gate. We did realise our error eventually (on the way down). We started following a feint track up the steep hillside, soon encountering the fabulous Ben Glas Waterfall.

Beinn Chabhair.jpg
Ben Glas Waterfall

After ascending further, we soon realised we were on the wrong side as a) We saw another group crossing the stile further down, and b) there was a thundering great waterfall in the way. After jumping across the narrowest part of the fast flowing water, we made the path over some rough ground, and a brief stop further on to shed some layers. It was an absolutely glorious morning and we were all sweating more than a Scotland Rugby Coach before a press conference. The views were also wonderful.

Beinn Chabhair-2.jpg
The views East

Beinn Chabhair-3.jpg
Towards Arrochar

Having expected to meet some cold air at the top of the initial ascent, it was something of a surprise to continue to be fried by the sun for the next section, a very tedious mile and a half of boggy trudge. My knee had started playing up already, which allied to my laughably poor fitness levels and the hot weather was less than ideal. We eventually reached the imaginatively named Lochan Beinn Chabhair. It was quite lovely here. :D

Beinn Chabhair-4.jpg
Lochan Beinn Chabhair

The attractiveness of this lochan was soon forgotten however as a warm, steep and particularly (for me anyway) painful ascent began towards Meall nan Tarmachan. Once this was reached, there was the mere issue of what felt like around 100 false summits to contend with, before finally reaching the genuine article. The views in all directions were simply magnificent.

Beinn Chabhair-5.jpg
Towards Ben Lomond

Beinn Chabhair-6.jpg
Loch Long in the Distance

Beinn Chabhair-8.jpg
Back towards the ascent route and Lochan Beinn Chabhair

I was starving and absolutely demolished my lunch and sat at the cairn silently dreading the descent. My knee was quite swollen by this point and even stepping down from stone to stone was unpleasant, in fact any sort of descent at all was extremely painful and I really wasn't enjoying it. After getting past the reserve falsies, there was the descent to the lochan which took an age, on the plus side we did find the path we were supposed to take up :lol:

Beinn Chabhair-11.jpg
Graham posing

The next stretch along the flattish boggy moor was less than fun, and the sharp descent down to the campsite was utterly god-awful. After an eternity I got down, and reached the car with some relief, so ending a glorious, but crap day.

The rest of the weekend was spent faffing around taking photos while Graham and Robert got to do some walking, the highlight though was an excellent Cajun Chicken with Rice at the Clachaig on Saturday night.

Morals of the story are never to walk with an iffy knee, and ensure that you don't need to find an open public convenience between basically Blairgowrie and Kenmore before 9am.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Re: Brutal Beinn Chabhair

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:08 am

Aye got to look after the knees :shock:

I did this wee beaut last year and it ranks as possibly my least enjoyed Munro :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:25 am

Collaciotach wrote:Aye got to look after the knees :shock:

I did this wee beaut last year and it ranks as possibly my least enjoyed Munro :wink:

It's a nice view from the top, but other than that, not great :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby JimboJim » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:28 am

I could feel your pain, just by the report. I didn't enjoy this hike either, but was more due to my general unfitness, overcast day, the miles of splashing bog and false summits.
Looks like you're gonna need some serious therapy on that knee. Good luck!
Jimmy
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:49 am

Bad news JP :(
At least you had decent weather, imagine how you would feel if it had been raining, claggy etc, etc :lol: :lol:

Some cracking photo's as always, shame you can't make Durness :(
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Graeme D » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:42 am

What's wrong with **** behind a tree?
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:17 pm

Wonderful photos! I do have fond memories of this mountain. Missing the path...sounds familiar 8)
Now take care of the knee!! :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby basscadet » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:31 pm

I don't remember it being too bad, and I had a big pack on for camping out.. It's all in the frame of mind :D

I've got an increasingly jippy knee, and Dougie has an ankle injury that wilnie heal either.. We talked about some time off recently, but just not sure if it is possible for us - What would we do? No doubt end up the same way as you before long.. Sounds pants :(
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:11 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Bad news JP :(
At least you had decent weather, imagine how you would feel if it had been raining, claggy etc, etc :lol: :lol:

Some cracking photo's as always, shame you can't make Durness :(

Cheers Martin. It's a gutter but i'll hopefully be fit for the summer meet, age/injury proneness notwithstanding.

JimboJim wrote:I could feel your pain, just by the report. I didn't enjoy this hike either, but was more due to my general unfitness, overcast day, the miles of splashing bog and false summits.
Looks like you're gonna need some serious therapy on that knee. Good luck!
Jimmy

It's got a fine summit view, and the Lochan is a nice spot. Other than that, I hated it :lol:

Graeme D wrote:What's wrong with **** behind a tree?

:lol:

Not the morning after a meal involving spicy chilli :shock:

Mountainlove wrote:Wonderful photos! I do have fond memories of this mountain. Missing the path...sounds familiar 8)
Now take care of the knee!! :D

Thanks Maja

I have no choice now :lol:

basscadet wrote:I don't remember it being too bad, and I had a big pack on for camping out.. It's all in the frame of mind :D

I've got an increasingly jippy knee, and Dougie has an ankle injury that wilnie heal either.. We talked about some time off recently, but just not sure if it is possible for us - What would we do? No doubt end up the same way as you before long.. Sounds pants :(

True. Had i been fit and uninjured, it wouldn't have caused any problems. Injuries and time off are a pain in the a***. I've been offered two suggestions as to what the injury is, no2 requires surgery and a year off the hills minimum. that genuinely worries me :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby Beaner001 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:20 pm

All the best with the knee mate, hope it's not too serious
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:54 pm

Beaner001 wrote:All the best with the knee mate, hope it's not too serious

Thanks mate. Should find out the extent of things on Monday/Tuesday :?
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland