walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Second time Lochay

Second time Lochay

Postby basscadet » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:40 pm

Route description: Creag Mhòr and Beinn Heasgarnich

Munros included on this walk: Creag Mhòr (Glen Lochay)

Date walked: 21/03/2015

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 23.4 km

Ascent: 1052m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This weekend had to be short trip, as we had a family birthday party to get to on Sunday. Gave a good opportunity to knock off my first new munro of the year - the first since November none the less :shock:
We had tried, and failed Creag Mohr in the past - driving snowstorms removing all fun from the day and had turned back halfway along the track :roll:
Headed off after work on Friday, and made really good time up to stay in Lawers Hotel, which was rather quiet to say the least, and hadn't even got the beer pumps going after being shut for winter - pants :?

It was a beautiful morning, and we had a leisurely breakfast, before setting out up Glen Lochay Really quiet up there, didn't meet anybody the whole way. Not much faff at the car park, saw us walking up the road beyond, past the farm.

Creag Mohr 22-MAR-15.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We turned up the old road to Glen Lyon. Its not that steep, but it was turning into a scorcher so that made it a bit of a slog. Despite a couple of visits, I have never seen the glen in good weather so it was nice to stop to enjoy the views :D

Onto the traversing track, not much to say about the next 5 miles, except it felt more like 10 :lol:
Eventually we got to the right ridge.. Looked decidedly more craggy and steep than the map would suggest :?

A new deer fence up the hill had us looking for a gate, which turned out to be further down the track a couple of hundred yards. The track was making Dougie lose his sense of humour, as he had just brought winter boots :o
We stopped once we were through the gate, and spent a good hour snoozing and enjoying the sunshine.

headed up a steep wee gully, with snow too soft to be useful, before heading left up the side of the upper crag, which was sheltered from the breeze so forced to take it really slow to avoid overheating. Just a snow patch and a final pull and we were up on the ridge.

The path skirts to the left to avoid extra ascent, and then we had another stop before the pull to the summit :)
We passed a weird thingy on the hill on our way up.

We stayed at the top for ages hillspotting, before heading back at about 3.30 - we knew there was a long walk yet. :?
Managed to find some snow fields for the descent, which was thankfully in the shade. Some icy bits at the top gave way to fine snow for walking, the snow only getting too soft when we were right down by the burn. :D

Made it back to the track, where we decided to take the lower one back and headed down the hill. The return journey seemed to pass quickly, with a nice sunset behind and being eyed by muddy cows

We were weary by the time the car was reached - too much track, but felt good to get a new munro under my belt, and couldnie of got a better day for it :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: Second time Lochay

Postby PeteR » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:25 pm

I had good views of these hills from Glen Lyon yesterday. I still recall Creag Mhor and its pal as being amongst the toughest hills I've climbed.......although it was some years back now. Maybe I should return and see if it was just a bad experience.

Looks like you both had a good day for this one though :D Which always helps of course
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:53 pm

Aye grand hills these and I liked the sunset pic :clap:

What's your last three Munros ?
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby basscadet » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:45 am

PeteR wrote:I had good views of these hills from Glen Lyon yesterday. I still recall Creag Mhor and its pal as being amongst the toughest hills I've climbed.......although it was some years back now. Maybe I should return and see if it was just a bad experience.

Looks like you both had a good day for this one though :D Which always helps of course

Och aye, the drop to Heasgarnich looked brutal, then a slog over the bog? Not for me... :lol:
If I was going to do the two, I'd go from Loch Lyon :)

Collaciotach wrote:Aye grand hills these and I liked the sunset pic :clap:

What's your last three Munros ?

Gulvain, Gillean and Sgritheal. Still some goodies to come 8)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby Graeme D » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:47 am

Sounds like the Lawers Hotel need to get their priorities right!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby basscadet » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:01 pm

Graeme D wrote:Sounds like the Lawers Hotel need to get their priorities right!

Aye its a quite nice place, room was nice and breakfast was nice, but no-one goes to the pub to drink bottled ales :crazy:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:23 pm

I remember that loooong walk. It did not feel too bad in the morning, but I got utterly confused with it during the evening....still sure someone must have added a few extra miles :lol:
Great set of photos!!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland