walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dorain, Beinn an Dothaidh, Beinn Mhanach

Beinn Dorain, Beinn an Dothaidh, Beinn Mhanach

Postby dougandjutta » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:42 pm

Route description: Beinn Mhanach

Munros included on this walk: Beinn an Dòthaidh, Beinn Dòrain, Beinn Mhanach

Date walked: 21/03/2015

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1740m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A great day out with fabulous weather. I wanted to do a circular route of the 3 remaining Orchy Munros not yet climbed, and didn't fancy the normal route up from Orchy train station. I started therefore from Auch Estate and made a beeline for the south-east flank of Beiin Dorain, crossing the field on the lower slopes then crossing the railway at the underpass just west of the railway bridge. It was then straight up aiming for the boulder field just to the east of some crags whereafter the slope eased a little and views opened up to give first sight of summit crags. Follow the natural line of the ridge due north, but staying on the westward side to enjoy the views. Going was good and grass short. A mountain hare still in its white winter coat provided interest. On nearing the top a traverse west up and around the crags protecting the summit was necessary and shortly after the top was reached. The reminder of the walk was fairly straightforward although care was necessary coming down through snow fields of Dorain and an Dothaidh. To navigate over to Mhanach come off an Dothaidh descending east to the Bealach and the reascend following the path towards Achaladair. I broke off around the 900m contour to descend to the coll almost due east of the first Achaladair summit. The easterly bearing was continued up the slopes of Mhanach whose summit I thought would never appear! Walking off was straight forward descending the steep grassy slopes of Mhanach on a true bearing roughly south by southwest to pick up the track and the most enjoyable and pretty - if long - walk out of Auch Glen. What a day!
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

dougandjutta
Munro compleatist

Munros:150   Corbetts:20
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Beinn Dorain, Beinn an Dothaidh, Beinn Mhanach

Postby kaye.cantlay » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:04 am

Looks like a better route than mine.....I did these three from bridge of orchy 2 weeks ago, about 27k in total
kaye.cantlay
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:158   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:205
Wainwrights:214   Islands:60

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland