walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bidean a Choire Sheasgaich and Lurg Mhor

Bidean a Choire Sheasgaich and Lurg Mhor

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:52 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bidein a' Choire Sheasgaich, Lurg Mhòr

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Tharsuinn

Date walked: 13/03/2015

Time taken: 13.5 hours

Distance: 35 km

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Walk Highlands description …A challenging expedition to climb two of the remotest Munros. The fine, pointed summit of Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich would be more celebrated if it were not hidden deep in the wilds of Monar, whilst neighbouring Lurg Mhor is even more inaccessible.
Hmm, he thought. I like a challenge and the description is breaking it into two days. I think I prefer the description ‘committing’. It fits better for me, a walk where once in you have little choice, but at the same time understanding your own capabilities of course.

I had already eyed these two and was just waiting for length of day provided by March earliest and some good weather, as despite being one to not shy away from any day on the hills, I love it that much (not to mention buying all that gear just to carry it all year), a walk of this duration and terrain one needs to ensure the odds are in your favour.
There was no question of route, it would be from Craig near Achnashellach, up the excellent track and into the hills.
So it all came together on Friday the 13th cripes, never realised until after as I wouldn’t have gone. Not that I’m particularly superstitious but many years ago a certain caving trip to Yorkshire on a Friday 13th, had its fair share of mishaps, but that’s for another day…if anyone has trouble sleeping, just pm me and I’ll tell you the tale.
I already had a busy week at work, more work equals more pennies, only way to get on in life as my dada would say, and not by polishing the sofa with your xxxx, but the alarm went off at 0400hrs, to get away for 5 ish.
By 0730 I was walking in and the view back to the start was clearing nicely, for once the forecast was looking correct. View back towards the hills surrounding Coulags.

WH1a.jpg

The track in is excellent and any keen bikers would make short work coming out but not for me, I would have had to push it all the way in, and in those instances see little point.
Once some height is gained the next stage of the route comes into view with Sgurr a Chaorachain and Choinnich at the back, my route to the right behind the first spur, my targets for the day not in sight.

WH2.jpg

The track continues around Sgurr nan Ceannaichen to Glenuiag Lodge but I have to turn right across the burn by a rather limp wire bridge, luckily only needing to use the last few feet to avoid the deep stuff, thank god for yeti gaiters. My route takes me up to the Bealach Bhearnais, with a view back to Sgurr nan Ceannaichen.

WH3.jpg

As height is gained the view of the Bealach, to which I would return some time later in the day.

WH4.jpg

I was now heading up the slopes of Beinn Tharsuinn, some significant snow patches up here, but wow what a great hill, glad I came this way.

WH5.jpg

Across to the summit

WH6.jpg

Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich had already poked its nose above the summit ridge of Tharsuinn but now at Tharsuinns summit both my targets for the day came into view. Still work to do though but the remoteness kicked in, I reveled in it.

WH7.jpg

My route off Tharsuinn was behind its lochan, I knew it would be steep and also that Tharsuinns crags further left needed to be avoided. On descent I admired Sheasgaich and its formidable sides. I had read a report of someone taking a direct line up the right flank and contemplated this, although I had plotted a route up one of the numerous gullies seen in this pic, on the left. I would decide once I had negotiated Tharsuinns descent !

WH8.jpg

Looking back up at Tharsuinn, I had come down the edge of the snow fields to their right. They look fairly small in the pic but they were big enough for axe to be deployed, the crags seen to the right.

WH9.jpg

Option 1 for Sheasgaich, hmm. Little did I know that a couple of weeks later I would be ascending something similar and steeper.

WH10.jpg

I decided to contour round the side to a point that would take me up the right of the col between my two targets but on route stopped to take in the view to Loch Monar.

WH11.jpg

Ascent took me up steep snow fields which I tried to avoid to save crampons on and off. The snow was hard so wherever possible I followed bare grass and cut steps across the short bits to gain access to the next grassy line. The corrie view as I gained height.

WH12.jpg

Pano from the summit was stunning.

WH13.jpg

Lurg Mhor now seemed just a stroll, but time seemed to disappear on route to its summit, maybe just because of the views.
View to Lurg Mhor on descent of Sheasgaich

WH14.jpg

And back to Sheasgaich from ascent of Lurg Mhor

WH15.jpg

Some large cornicing on the ascent with Sheasgaich behind. My route down was from this col.

WH16.jpg

Pano from the summit looking to my route home, seemed a long way off from here this remotest of spots

WH17.jpg

Pano along Lurg Mhors crest towards Strathfarrar and Affric.

WH18.jpg

So now I just had the walk out, simples, first wee obstacle, over the top. Crampons and axe for this one, it was a tad steep. My route out up the Glen in shadow to the left back to Bhearnnais.

WH19.jpg

Time for a break after dropping down, and a view of Loch Monar before I head left.

WH20.jpg

The walk up to the Bealach, this was the longest mile of the day !

WH21.jpg

Nearly there but the face says it all, I think I aged a bit coming up there.

WH22.jpg

But with all downhill left, I waited at the bealach for the sunset and wasn’t disappointed, the Cuillins framed nicely between Tharsuinn and Feartaig, beautiful.

WH23.jpg

In all the walk took 13 and a half hours, I saw not another soul all day :D . I later checked and it was about 22 miles for anyone that’s loves stats, me I just love a long day such as this and would do it again in a heartbeat. And if your winter boots hurt after such a walk you've got the wrong boots :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Re: Bidean a Choire Sheasgaich and Lurg Mhor

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:11 am

Great stuff :clap: :clap: and a fine set of hills .

That's quite a route you picked , did it from Attadale myself

Winter boots are the very devil :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Beaner001 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:31 am

Belter of a round there Dave, you have True Grit :clap: :clap:
Sheasgaich looks a real bony mountain, just a bugger to get at :shock: :shock:
Cheers
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:32 am

A very nice walk,you certainly took the route the right way round as coming off Bidean a Choire Sheasgaich to get to Beinn Tharsuinn by the normal route is very badly eroded and steep so much so that a few folk have avoided it.
Cheers for posting
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:51 am

Spider, you are a tough cookie!

Another pair of hills on our radar, but I think we will leave them for June/July when days are longer and snow is gone. Winter gear weighs too much :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby litljortindan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:11 pm

That's some going. Did some hills from Bhearnais bothy years ago, including Sheasgaich, so nice to get a vague reminder of that trip. Quite fancy a walk along the ridge east of Lurg Mhor but not this year that's for sure, given the amount of seat polishing I do!
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby malky_c » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:40 pm

A good long tramp out to those hills - decent looking weather though.

These near killed me. Over a few Friday night pints I decided they would be the perfect re-introduction to the hills after spending 2 weeks in bed with tonsillitis :sick: . We went in November and it probably got dark around Bealach Bhearnais on the way back, as it appears to have done for you.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby basscadet » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:19 pm

Aye, good going at this time of year.. That walk back to the bealach is soul destroying!
I got ill half way through doing these, but I imagine the trail of puke would of been washed away by now :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:50 pm

Cheers all, love a long day :D

I'm glad I didn't hear of the trail Basscadet :lol:

These are not to bad, key to any of these days is to get started early, so your up there by the time most folk are starting their day, then you feel you have that much needed head start.

Same this Saturday, 3 at Aultbeithe YH walking in from Cluanie or just east of, but an early start and I'll be climbing up from Aultbeithe as others get out the car, he says, hopefully :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby Mountainlove » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:32 am

Brilliant report! Have been looking at the group up there for the past week and your report comes in handy..although I am guessing I will take a tent to break it up a bit. Good effort and I am sure you will be glad that you got them out of the way :wink: :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:14 pm

As usual, great report and great pix, especially the sunset at the end. I didn't know about these lot, so it's been an education also.

But hey, I could really get to dislike people who only live 2 hours from places this this...... :(
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:46 pm

Cheers Mountainlove, I'd be happy to do them again, just say when your going :D

Alteknacker wrote:As usual, great report and great pix, especially the sunset at the end. I didn't know about these lot, so it's been an education also.

But hey, I could really get to dislike people who only live 2 hours from places this this...... :(

:lol: Funny thing, but seems too far for many, something I've never understood, maybe after spending years sitting on the M25 or M6 and so on, travelling 2 or 3 hours after getting up as early as 0330hrs, a drive up here never seems so far :D and of course in nearly every case, what a drive too :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby simon-b » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:47 am

Excellent, Dave. A tough but very worthwhile day. Thank goodness we had that one day of good weather.
Giant Stoneater wrote:A very nice walk,you certainly took the route the right way round as coming off Bidean a Choire Sheasgaich to get to Beinn Tharsuinn by the normal route is very badly eroded and steep so much so that a few folk have avoided it.

I'd been contemplating a midsummer linear route for these hills, Craig to Attadale or vice versa. Your TR and GS's reply may help in deciding which direction is better. Cheers.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:01 pm

simon-b wrote:Excellent, Dave. A tough but very worthwhile day. Thank goodness we had that one day of good weather.
Giant Stoneater wrote:A very nice walk,you certainly took the route the right way round as coming off Bidean a Choire Sheasgaich to get to Beinn Tharsuinn by the normal route is very badly eroded and steep so much so that a few folk have avoided it.

I'd been contemplating a midsummer linear route for these hills, Craig to Attadale or vice versa. Your TR and GS's reply may help in deciding which direction is better. Cheers.

I think that was summer that one day :lol: Not been up the other route but heard mixed reports, of it being a bit up and down, having done my route I think I would walk in my way and out the other, but probably not a lot in it :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby AnnieMacD » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:49 pm

Wow, great report and LOOOOONG walk for the time of year. I'll probably get as far as Beinn Tharsuinn and turn back! Love that last photo of the sunset.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland