walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Greenburn Round

Greenburn Round

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:29 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Calf Crag, Gibson Knott, Helm Crag, Steel Fell

Date walked: 15/02/2015

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 725m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day two of our week in the Lakes saw Nicola still suffering with a bad cold, but trooper that she is, she insisted we make hay while the sun shone and went walking again. With some high winds and rain due later we had an early start from the A591 tick off the fells on the Greenburn round. It was a wonderful winter morning and it's hard to imagine a more picturesque setting than Grasmere and it's surrounding fells on such a day.
It was fairly busy heading up Helm Crag but you'd expect this for one of Lakeland's most climbed on such a beautiful morning. Big question was would any of us manage the Howitzer, Helm Crags true summit?

ImageGlorious Morning by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageHeading up Helm Crag by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageTarn Crag by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageHughie by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

We reached the remarkable craggy ridge and sat on the Lion's head for a bit, possibly ignoring the jutting rock further along. As we approached, Nicola's mind was quickly made up that she was having none of it but I thought I'd give it a crack as the rock was dry. As you can see from the photo below I managed to drag myself to the top and over come the negative thoughts of "so how do I now get down?" to descend safely. Grace had a brief go but quickly decided she just wasn't comfortable with it. I've always had the opinion that as AW himself didn't climb the Howitzer the the Top can be bagged without it in all good conscience. So still ticks allround, even for Hughie.

ImageThe Lion without the Lamb by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageGrace on the Lion by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageMe on the Howitzer by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageAhead to Gibson Knott by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Allthough Helm Crag is without doubt the highlight, the ridge continues in fine fashion with many attractive crags and fine views as you pass over Gibson Knott. By the time we were closing in on Calf Crag the weather was changing somewhat and getting quite a bit colder. Still now we'd come this far it seemed foolish not to complete the walk.

ImageLooking Back to Helm Crag by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageLooking Down Easedale by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageGrace on Gibson Knott by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Image...alone she slumped to her knees... by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageGrace with a ball of white fluff by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The route to the high point of the day from here is blighted by bog, and even though the tarns were still frozen the ground most certainly wasn't. So it was a chilly splodge to a bitterly cold Steel Fell summit, to our relief the rain held off, which was nice. For as long as we could stand the bitter wind the views were good the the Helvellyn ridge looking at times like a painting by Turner as the clouds and sunlight mingled together.

ImageFrozen Tarn by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageCrepuscular Rays by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageDead Pike by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageThe Helvellyn range wreathed in mist by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

I've always thought the South East Ridge of Steel Fell looked nice and so to proved to be with some lovely easy walking on Green turf interspersed with the occasional crag. A fine day all round with the good/bad news that poor weather was due so we could have a rest.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The weather did eventually clear up on the Monday so I headed around to Wastwater for the sunset. Unfortunately I left it too late so missed the best of the light.

ImageLast Kiss by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr
Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Greenburn Round

Postby trailmasher » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:48 pm

As usual brilliant pics and report of a great circular walk with dry boots on the Gibson Knott ridge and wet ones on the Steel Fell walk in. And well done Hughie.
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mike202 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:54 pm

Nice walk, looks cold brrr..

Yet another one you've done that I need to do!

I've done Helm Crag but not the others yet.

Hughie is a veteran of the hills now :D
mike202
Munro compleatist

Munros:148   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:99

Postby L-Hiking » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:04 pm

Nice round that one Anthony, like the pic of Wast Water too. Carol and I have just enjoyed 4 days in the lake district and were on the Fairfield Horseshoe ( Not all) trying to find a pair of binochulars I lost 3 weeks ago at the same time you were up Helm Crag.

Stayed at the lovely Daffodil Hotel in Grasmere Mon to Thurs. A great few days walking in the hills was had to
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:59 am

The usual stunning shots from a fine round JK, it images like these that remind me just how beautiful home is...and how far away it is too. That first shot of morning is just beautiful I can almost feel it :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby nigheandonn » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:26 am

Ooh, nice - especially the first picture. That round's on my list for the spring - I'll heed your warning and try not to get too bogged down in bog :)
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:13 pm

trailmasher wrote:As usual brilliant pics and report of a great circular walk with dry boots on the Gibson Knott ridge and wet ones on the Steel Fell walk in. And well done Hughie.

Thank you, the dry/wet boot thing just about sums this route up.

mike202 wrote:Nice walk, looks cold brrr..

Yet another one you've done that I need to do!

I've done Helm Crag but not the others yet.

Hughie is a veteran of the hills now :D

It was quite spring like until we got towards Calf Crag, blinking freezing on Steel Fell however! Hughie's Wainwright count is the same as mine so he's certainly a veteran.

L-Hiking wrote:Nice round that one Anthony, like the pic of Wast Water too. Carol and I have just enjoyed 4 days in the lake district and were on the Fairfield Horseshoe ( Not all) trying to find a pair of binochulars I lost 3 weeks ago at the same time you were up Helm Crag.

Stayed at the lovely Daffodil Hotel in Grasmere Mon to Thurs. A great few days walking in the hills was had to

Hi Geoff, good to here your out and about in the hills, I see you're really close with only 10 left now, me thinks you need a trip out west.

ChrisW wrote:The usual stunning shots from a fine round JK, it images like these that remind me just how beautiful home is...and how far away it is too. That first shot of morning is just beautiful I can almost feel it :clap:

Cheers Chris.

nigheandonn wrote:Ooh, nice - especially the first picture. That round's on my list for the spring - I'll heed your warning and try not to get too bogged down in bog :)

It's a fine walk with the worst of the bogs avoidable with care. I'd think twice if it's been really wet however.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby L-Hiking » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:19 pm

Yes I am getting there slowly, I did start in 2002!!!

Just knocked off Green Crag and Harter Fell and two planned trips in June to climb those Western Fells.

You aint so far off yourself and have rattled them off very quickly.

Congrats on completing the Northern Fells pal
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

Postby simon-b » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:31 am

Getting down from the Howitzer is always fun.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:39 pm

[*]i
L-Hiking wrote:Yes I am getting there slowly, I did start in 2002!!!

Just knocked off Green Crag and Harter Fell and two planned trips in June to climb those Western Fells.

You aint so far off yourself and have rattled them off very quickly.

Congrats on completing the Northern Fells pal

Cheers Geoff

simon-b wrote:Getting down from the Howitzer is always fun.

That's one way of putting it :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:07 am

Lovely pictures as usual, don't think I would be brave enough to climb the howitzer! We attempted Helm Crag in October, got half way up and couldn't get Penny over a very narrow stile on the wall - very disappointing! Not sure if there was an alternative route or not. Heading down on Saturday and I keep changing my mind on what fells to attempt!
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:26 am

Sarah86 wrote:Lovely pictures as usual, don't think I would be brave enough to climb the howitzer! We attempted Helm Crag in October, got half way up and couldn't get Penny over a very narrow stile on the wall - very disappointing! Not sure if there was an alternative route or not. Heading down on Saturday and I keep changing my mind on what fells to attempt!

Shame about Penny and the stile because it's a lovely little top, I remember my last dog who was a collie cross was always difficult to get over stiles, I just about throw Hughie over! There is an alternative route detailed in the link below

http://www.davidhalllakedistrictwalks.co.uk/PAGES/FELLS/HELM_CRAG.html

Good luck with the weather for Saturday, it's a nice problem to have wondering just where to walk, now we're down to 30 left it's a bit more straightforward.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:58 am

Wow only 30 to go, I am sure you will get through them fairly quickly. I think what confuses me is the Lake District has such variety and so many lovely walks. I think this will be our only visit this year so I am trying to squeeze a lot in but also trying to keep it simple as Penny is almost 12 now and wouldn't be up for 4 tough going days. Have got it narrowed down to Holme Fell, Darling Fell, Hallin Fell, either Middle Fell or Stickle Pike when we head in that direction, Great Crag from Watendlath, Brock Crags and Side Pike, we have already done Lingmoor Fell but I love the Langdale area. It also looks a nice walk to Grizedale Tarn and also want to fit in Cathedral Quarry as we took a wrong turn and missed it last time. Oh decisions!
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland