walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moving targets?

Moving targets?

Postby Jaywizz » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:33 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Craig of Monievreckie

Date walked: 30/03/2015

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 6.4 km

Ascent: 400m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When I read Lightfoot2017's post about 'targets for 2015', I had already set mine - 4 x Sub 2Ks a month - and then gradually increase as my fitness improved. Certainly not worth posting publicly - and indeed, I wouldn't have posted it now but for much encouragement that the targets are well and truly moving - hence this Sub 2K walk.
In January I reached the original target, added a couple more in February, then a couple of days ago, looking at my walk stats for March, realised that I was just short of 50 km walked over hills in the month - another target!
WH map 1.jpg

So it was, despite indifferent weather forecast, I set out from Braeval carpark (in light drizzle and complete waterproofs). I followed the forest roads to the viewpoint, passing the point of what would be my return track at NN 538014. The view must be superb on a good day - but not today.
WH Ben Ledi.JPG
Looking north across Loch Venacher towards Ben Ledi

Through the small gate and on to the open hill, the ground was fairly unpleasant - some wet snow and deep heather. Not much sign of a path until I reached the slightly lower ground at NN 543019. From there it was an easy hop on a well-walked path to the summit.
WH Lake of Menteith.JPG
South east to the Lake of Menteith

Return route was much easier. After returning to the lower ground, I followed the stream south-west, first on the right bank, but then picking up a good path on the left bank, through the gate at the edge of the forest, back to the track, then retracing my footsteps to the carpark.
A satisfying walk, and yes, it took me over 50 km on the hills this month. Also extremely pleased to have improved from '4 x Sub 2Ks' a month to 1 Graham, 3 Donalds and 5 Sub 2Ks. For those compleatists who look down (in several ways!) on anything less, I promise you these smaller hills can be extremely rewarding.
(Not sure what my target will be for April?)
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:34
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:167   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland