walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glorious day at Loch Arkaig

Glorious day at Loch Arkaig

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:12 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Geal Charn (Arkaig), Meall na h-Eilde

Date walked: 25/03/2015

Time taken: 5.3 hours

Distance: 15.3 km

Ascent: 1130m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had a weeks annual leave to use up before the end of March and hoped to head away for the week. Unfortunately a sprained ankle on the Friday, then a bug on the Sunday and Monday didn’t see me getting away straight away :(
The weather was looking cack for the majority of the week, with Wednesday looking like the only good day :)
I couldn’t sleep on the Tuesday night as I had a serious runny nose and developed the cold ! :(
Anyhow I made a decision that no matter what, I was getting up and out on at least one walk during on my week off. I checked the weather on the Tuesday night and it looked not too bad up the west coast so decided on tackling the two corbetts at Loch Arkaig.

Left the house in Dumbarton just before 7am. The views from Bridge of Orchy through Glencoe and really for the majority of the day were stunning :shock:
LA1.jpg
Buachaille etive mor

I stopped off on route in McDonalds Fortwilliam for brekkie and then headed towards Gairlochy.
I crossed over the Caledonian canal and followed the signs for Loch Arkaig.
LA2.jpg
Loch Arkaig

LA3.jpg

Parked at Achnasaul where it was signposted marine harvest Loch Arkaig Salmon Farm.
LA4.jpg
Starting point

From here I headed over the bridge over the Allt Dubh and turned left to pick up the path on the east side of the stream. WH mentions a faint path but at present a building site awaited me signposted workmen only. The Site manager waved me in and I followed a huge broad bulldozed track up past the mast. The foreman just advised me to be aware of the diggers further up on the track.
LA5.jpg
Through the building site

I passed the mast and headed up the track. The track drops down and concrete blocks run alongside the bridge. The track heads over the bridge and then turns right and up the hill. There was a man made track for about 1km. This made the walk fairly straight forward albeit a little steep on occasions. As i passed the digger they stopped digging politely to let me pass by. It looked as though they were laying pipes all the way from the road up towards the foot of Glas Bheinn.
LA6.jpg

LA7.jpg

I caught up with a lovely couple from Forfar who were climbing the graham Glas Bhein and walked with them for a good 20 minutes. They have nearly compleated the Corbetts with the one at Lochnagar still to do and had compleated their munros. Well done. I considered joining them on the graham but didn’t want to intrude. At the foot of Glas Bheinn the track becomes a bit of a stony path. We continued together for approximately 1km until they left the path and headed east up towards Glas Bheinn.

I continued on the easy going stony path following the Allt Dubh as it wrapped around Glas Bheinn. As the path peters out I headed across some very slightly boggy ground and up towards the wee 681 marking on the 1:50 000 map.
LA8.jpg
Over to Glas Bheinn as heading up Meall na h-Elide

Here I stopped to refuel and then headed northeast and eventually picked up a fence post towards the summit of the Corbett Meall na h-Elide. I reached the summit in 2hours 45 mins.
LA9.jpg
Summit of Meall na h -Elide

I took a couple of summit pictures and sat for 15minutes to admire the cracking views – over to Ben Nevis which was clear all day and over to the Loch Lochy munros. The wind began to pick up and it soon became pretty cold.
LA10.jpg

LA11.jpg

Another guy appeared as I was sitting at the summit but he decided to head for some lunch out of the wind.
LA12.jpg

After a few photos I headed west down towards the Bealach an Easian and then north west up towards Meall Coire nan Saobhaidh following the line of the fence posts. The going was pretty good underfoot and I gained height quickly.
LA13.jpg
Meall Coire nan Saobhaidh

From Meall Coire nan Saobhaidh I headed south west up steep snowy slopes towards Geal Charn.

The pull up had quite a bit of snow which Involved kicking a few steps in between walking over some grassy parts to reach the summit.
LA14.jpg
Heading up Geal Charn

I reached the summit of Geal Charn 45 minutes after leaving Meall na h –Elide.
LA15.jpg
Summit of Geal Charn

LA16.jpg
Over to the Ben and Anochs. Zoomed

I took a quick summit picture and didnt hang about as the winds continued. I headed south east in the direction towards Glas Bheinn. I crossed over the Allt Dubh and picked up the same path and headed back along the path, and onto the track and back the way I came. A great day out with the flu/cold symptoms disappearing until back in the car . Funny that !Total time 5hours 30minutes
LA17.jpg
Caledonian Canal and Ben Nevis
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Glorious day at Loch Arkaig

Postby rockhopper » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:47 pm

Not a great start to your week off, MT, but looks like this made up for it ! Have been doing some forward thinking but haven't got round to these two yet - must add them to the list as they do look good - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby BoyVertiginous » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:40 am

Yes, mental note made of these two and their near neighbours. An area I've yet to trouble.
Thanks for the alert.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby PeteR » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:01 pm

Looks good MT :D

I've had the WH route for these two in my GPS for months now, but haven't yet made it to them. Been waiting for a good to day for them and the Graham. Looks like I missed it :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:54 pm

Nice oneor should I say two :lol: Looks pretty much perfect apart from the wind. Not done these but now a good chance of picking them off this year :) Hope your cold improves for the Durness Meet, but it doesn't seem to have held you back any on this walk :wink:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:49 pm

A good day for these two , I walked these in similar conditions , grand wee hills :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:36 pm

Cracking wee TR MT
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:22 pm

Aye nice one Theresa, belting photaes :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby dooterbang » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:54 pm

It appears those photography lessons I gave you are working wonders :wink:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:03 pm

Cheers folks :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

Postby Graeme D » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:19 am

Looks like heaven under clear blue skies! Sounds like it was a tad busy for a midweek on some less well known hills.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland