walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Afternoon delight: West & East Lomond

Afternoon delight: West & East Lomond

Postby BoyVertiginous » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:45 am

Route description: West Lomond from Craigmead

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: East Lomond, West Lomond

Date walked: 21/03/2015

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 450m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Couldn't get two seats together for my daughter and I at the football that Saturday afternoon so, opted to take advantage of the fine weather for a run up to the East Neuk. I omitted to tell her we'd be tackling the Lomonds after our short visit to Anstruther (Save the Dreel Tavern) then Falkland.

We brought the pooch along to stretch his short legs and tackled West Lomond (WL) first as a walk then, on return to the car, swapped the trousers for shorts and the dog and I ran up East Lomond (EL) and back.

Blue skies contributed to fine views but there was still a wee chill in the air and a stiff breeze on the summits, Spring-like! Good tracks, dry underfoot and easy walking. Dog on the lead at times on route to WL, where there were sheep nearby.

We had tea and flapjack, out of the wind at WL's summit (cheesy treats for the dog).

WL pics:
Bridge works coming along (courtesy of my co-pilot)...

EL from the track above Craigmead, setting out for WL... Image

The pooch and the kid (with Bishop Hill & Loch Leven behind) at WL trig

WL cairn and trig, with EL sandwiched in between (& Ballo Reservoir on the right - an old fishing haunt)... Image

Bosom buddies heading back to the car (EL ahead)...

EL pics:
On track for EL...quick photo (aka oxygen replenishment) stop...

Sundown on Bishop Hill (l) and WL (r)...Image

Almost there...

Falkland zoomed...

Towards the Fife coast's haze...

Pano with Ballo & Harperleas reflecting the setting sun in front of Bishop Hill and WL...

A brilliant alternative Saturday afternoon!
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Re: Afternoon delight: West & East Lomond

Postby Sgurr » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:22 pm

Nice TR. I am biased as these are (nearly) my closest hills and there are just so many permutations and combinations of one, two , or three (including Bishop's Hill) that you wouldn't run out of different routes if you did them every day for a fortnight. My favourite currently is the Bunnetstane route up West Lomond. But it changes. Maspie Den is good too with the waterfall over the path.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby BoyVertiginous » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:23 am

Sgurr wrote:Nice TR. I am biased as these are (nearly) my closest hills and there are just so many permutations and combinations of one, two , or three (including Bishop's Hill) that you wouldn't run out of different routes if you did them every day for a fortnight. My favourite currently is the Bunnetstane route up West Lomond. But it changes. Maspie Den is good too with the waterfall over the path.

You're right, Sgurr, a bamboozling array of paths and options around these. Once tried to take the kids up direct from the Palace grounds, when camping there for the big tent festival, they were much younger then and we turned back before reaching the top. I had a look for the Bunnetstane but don't think we could see it from the route we chose. May be able to rectify that next week as hope to be up there again for bishop Hill.
Cheers.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:45 pm

Great report and photos.

Always enjoy walking these two - not too much effort and far better views from the tops than I had expected.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland