walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

High Street

High Street

Postby risin888 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:43 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: High Raise (Far Eastern Fells), High Street

Hewitts included on this walk: High Raise (Far Eastern Fells), High Street, Rough Crag

Date walked: 22/04/2010

Time taken: 5

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 576m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm relatively new to walking and hugely unfit so walking up wheelchair ramps has been an effort for me recently. I decided to drag the wife and dog up onto High Street via Riggindale Crag. The weather was excellent, not a cloud in the sky but cool and fresh, just how I like it. We parked at the car park at the end of Haweswater and took the footpath around the shore of the water to join the footpath close to "The Rigg". I have to say the climb looked daunting from the beginning, not scary daunting but "bugger me that looks hard" daunting.

Personally I thought the climb was relatively steep at the beginning, although as I say I am a novice to this, but it did have me out of breath pretty soon. The path is clearly marked and even though I did have an OS map with me I probably didnt need it. Grassy at the bottom with the occassional rocks and crags it makes a very pleasant landscape, stunningly beautiful in fact. Very soon you have to scramble and scurry over large protruding crags but again the path over can be clearly seen so these pose not too much of a challenge. To the north (right) of the trail is Riggindale with Kidsty Pike the imposing backdrop and to the south(left) is Blea Water glistening temptingly in the sun (absolutely freezing though no doubt) with Mardale Ill Fell overlooking menacingly. The path dips and raises in many places and there are rocks and crags to climb over on the way but nothing a fat loafer from Leigh couldn't manage so I'm sure you'll be fine.

The final climb up to the summit could appear frightening and challenging if you've never faced anything like this before (like me) but all I can say is give it a go, you will be fine. If you have any level of fitness you will be ok, I don't and I made it and felt I had really achieved something once perched on top. There was a couple of crags that I had to lift the dog up but nothing that should worry you. The missus was dissappointed that she couldn't find Primark or Next on this High Street but we rambled anyway and finally made the decision to make our way down the same way we had come up. With hindsight this was a mistake, the descent is steep and tricky and to be honest my legs had had enough. Given the choice now I would make my way round to either Mardale Ill Bell or Kidsty Pike and come down either of those.

This was our first serious hike and by the end of the day two things were apparent, firstly the fact my legs felt as if they were filled with lead and secondly a sense of achievement that neither of us had anticipated when we pulled up at the carpark and gazed upwards to the summit (i confess i did swear).

If you're thinking of attempting this walk, go for it, after seven knee ops and with the energy levels of a sloth I did it, so can you!
risin888

Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: High Street

Postby colgregg » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:56 pm

Hindsight is wonderful and yes heading down to Nan Bield pass would have made it a good round especially as you would have seen Small water close up. It's water's edge is one of my favourite resting places before heading back to the real world.The important thing is you did the walk, you enjoyed it and you found it within your capabilities. It's going to be there for another time and if you are going to hit the lakes regularly you will find many summits only require similar effort and some a lot less. Enjoy!
P4060077.JPG
Small Water
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mountain coward » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:59 am

Another area I love but haven't been to for ages... I commented as such when I passed it yet again coming back down the M6 from Scotland this aft. I just love that Long Stile ridge up onto High Street... I also like the connecting ridge between Nan Bield Pass and Harter Fell! :D
mountain coward

Postby Glenrothes » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:43 am

Yes, theres a big path cut across the fell now (to aid tourists with no sense of direction or navigational skills :twisted:) from Mardale Ill Bell to the wall that runs roughly north/south by High Street and the Roman Road. Had to smile during its construction though as a sign stated that they were building it in the old fashioned way as they did centuries ago...................a couple of hundred metres over the the crest of the fell was a bright yellow JCB!!!!

Yeah right :?
Glenrothes

Postby mountain coward » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:48 am

Are you sure they weren't just stone-pitching it or something to prevent erosion? (I haven't seen it so can't comment...)
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland