walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lakes - Newlands Round +Robinson.

Lakes - Newlands Round +Robinson.

Postby colgregg » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:23 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Dale Head, High Spy, Maiden Moor, Robinson

Hewitts included on this walk: Dale Head, High Spy, Robinson

Date walked: 20/04/2010

Distance: 16 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather forecast said the weather was going to be fine so full of enthusiasm I set off up the A66 heading for the car park at Little Town in the beautiful and secluded newlands Valley South of keswick. I wanted to extend the traditional "round" so I made the summit of Robinson (2418ft) my first of the day. Following the Tarmac road past Low High Snab it was time to face the first ( and steepest) climb of the day which took me onto the ridge of High Snab Bank which leads unerringly to the summit of Robinson. On the way views unfold of Newlands, Skiddaw, Blencathra and keswick to the North while westwards the Fells of Coledale fill the foreground. The wind made it colder than it seemed but with good visibility the views I got made it insignificant. To the south were the Lakeland "giants" of the Scafells, Gable and Pillar were clearly seen with Buttermere backed by the Impressive High Stile ridge. The weather by now was beginning to cloud over and for a while I thought the day would be spoilt. fortunately it did not last long before the sun broke through again.
I continued eastwards along the ridge to the summit of Dale Head (2470ft), omitting Hindscarth, for one of the best views IMO in the lakes (another would come later). Looking North from the well built summit cairn the deep U shaped Newlands Valley, with it's stream snaking it's way through, is an unforgettable sight. A great place to rest up and take in the view. In fact the whole 360' panorama is excellent with many summits visible. Unfortunately I needed a bit of shelter out of the wind so made my way down to Dale Head Tarn and a well deserved rest. Tired bodies can descend directly to the valley from here but those doing so would miss an excellent final leg to this superb round. Having rested I then started the ascent to High Spy (2142ft) on a path which follows the line of crags overlooking Newlands. The path continues Northwards and Derwent Water comes into view as the summit of Maiden Moor (1890ft) is crossed. During the descent I was treat to views of unparalleled beauty of Derwent Water backed by Skiddaw and Blencathra. It is one of those sights which i could sit at look at for hours .
As time was against me I made my way back to Little Town from the Col between Maiden Moor and Catbells but the ridge can be followed over that summit to Skelgill before returning to the car.
While these aren't the highest fells in the Lakes the walk I did must rank amongst the best for sustained interest and incredible views (weather permitting) throughout. So next time you're heading to the lakes on a sunny day do this walk, you'll not regret one minute of it!!
I've posted a few pics but they don't do justice to one of those days you wish would never end.
newland round 008.JPG
Northwards from the ascent to Robinson

newland round 020.JPG
Nearly at the summit of Robinson

newland round 026.JPG
Westwards to Grassmoor. Crummock Water and the Sea.

newland round 033.JPG
Buttermere and the High Stile range bathed in sunshine.

newland round 042.JPG
The dramatic Newlands Valley from Dale Head.

newland round 046.JPG
The Lakeland giants. scafells and Great Gable. Tempting. but they'll be there for another day

newland round 062.JPG
Dale Head.

newland round 070.JPG
The fells of Coledale

newland round 080.JPG
If a picture paints a thousand words......
Derwent Water, Keswick with Skiddaw and Blencathra as the backdrop. Stunning.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Lakes - Newlands Round +Robinson.

Postby mountain coward » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:57 am

Love that last pic of Skiddaw! :D
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland