walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Unplanned Munro

An Unplanned Munro

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:34 pm

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn

Date walked: 05/04/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 20.3 km

Ascent: 786m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having had two consecutive 20 mile walks on Friday and Saturday my plan for this morning was to cut back on the mileage and just have an easy morning. After doing the same walks last weekend I went up to Corrie Fee on the Sunday morning and did an easy 6 miles so something similar would do today.

At Glen Doll car park for 7am, -1, the sun still hidden behind the hills so neck fleece and gloves on for the first part of the walk. Only two cars in the car park and both seem to have spent the night there so I will have the track to myself.

I took the track north towards Broad Cairn and my target for the day was the bridge up at Bachnagairn where I could stop for a sandwich and watch the waterfall for a few minutes.

Arriving at the board walk the sun still wasn't getting in to the glen so the wood was frozen and slippy - still surprises me they didn't put some wire meshing down when this was built.

1.jpg

It didn't take long to reach the bridge which crosses the river running through the glen (Burn of Gowal?) taking me from the east to the west bank.

The suns rays are now getting in to the glen and suddenly it feels quite warm as the gradual climb continues.

2.jpg
Approaching Bachnagairn

Once I was in to the trees and getting close to the bridge I could see that someone was camping on the far bank close to the waterfall - looked like a great spot. Their dog had spotted me and was barking his head off.

I stopped at the bridge and had a chat with Mrs Camper - she was asking if I had any sun cream but I hadn't even thought about sticking any in the rucksack at this time of year - maybe next week though if this weather continues.

Now that I had reached my target there was no way I could just turn back as the morning was just stunning so I decided to do the climb and head over towards Broad Cairn and Loch Muick. As usual at this time of year there was a great big bank of snow covering the track so I took to the heather for a bit.

I suppose it was always going to happen but once I saw the top of Broad Cairn I was going to have to climb it so made a start on the lower slopes. There were a few patches of snow and in the main it was pretty soft and occasionally unpredictable as my feet would disappear a foot further down than expected. Tended to rock hop as much as possible as I could trust my footing far better than in the snow.

3.jpg
Looking down on Loch Muick

4.jpg
The last climb to the summit

5.jpg
Loch Muick again

It's been about three years since I have been at the top of Broad Cairn, the last time I was more or less crawling the last few yards in a gale force wind and zero visibility - it was a bit different today.

6.jpg
Broad Cairn summit

7.jpg

The views from the top were just brilliant, no haze and hardly a cloud in the sky.

A few minutes spent at the top taking everything in and it was time to head for home.

8.jpg
Looking back

9.jpg
Last look at Loch Muick

10.jpg
Looking back again

I met the campers on the way down Broad Cairn, they were going to take in 3/4 Munros on their way to their car which was parked at Auchallater - their dog seemed happier with me now.

11.jpg
Impressive lump of snow

There had been a gentle breeze on the top of Broad Cairn but now I was down a few hundred feet and sheltered it was time to get the long sleeves off and walk back to the car with just a short sleeved top - it's a great feeling after a long winter to feel some heat in the sun (I'll be moaning about the heat next week).

12.jpg
The route home

13.jpg
Looking back up the glen

In the cold of the morning heading up the glen I saw a couple of deer, on the way down there seemed to be frogs everywhere and I had to be careful where I was placing my feet anytime there was standing water on the track.

14.jpg

15.jpg

There were now a lot more people about and the track was quite busy all the way back to the car park.

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Must admit, got a bit of a surprise when I got back to the car park, the main car park was full and the overflow was filling up fast. As some people have mentioned, the parking machines aren't working at the moment but they had a guy issuing tickets as there must be a lot of money to be made over the Easter break - he wasn't around at 7am though :lol: :lol: ).

All that was left was to go against the flow of traffic and get to the Clova Hotel before the road improved. Had to pull in to the verge numerous times so that all the pristine white 4x4's could keep to the tarmac and not get a speck of dirt on them :crazy: :crazy:

Still, nothing could spoil a brilliant morning and although unplanned it was good to do my 1st Munro of the year (albeit one that I've done six times before).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: An Unplanned Munro

Postby Backpacker » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:00 pm

We were across the way from you today on Conachcraig and there wasn't a bit of snow :lol: :lol:

Was a cracking day today
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:51 pm

That's a fine walk Gordie, my most climbed munro, funny like you until a couple of weeks ago I had not been up Broad Cairn for a couple of years. Surprised that nearly all the new snow has now gone, there were patches when we did it from Loch Callater, a first time from that direction. What a day though, a day to warrant many an hour on a hill. I'm keeping my Brownie points for the WH April meet next weekend hopefully, similar weather to what you had :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:50 pm

Backpacker wrote:We were across the way from you today on Conachcraig and there wasn't a bit of snow :lol: :lol:

Was a cracking day today

Hi Backpacker - nice hill you did but I seem to remember when I did it last year I spent most of the climb turning round to look at and photograph Lochnagar - great viewpoint
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:55 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:That's a fine walk Gordie, my most climbed munro, funny like you until a couple of weeks ago I had not been up Broad Cairn for a couple of years. Surprised that nearly all the new snow has now gone, there were patches when we did it from Loch Callater, a first time from that direction. What a day though, a day to warrant many an hour on a hill. I'm keeping my Brownie points for the WH April meet next weekend hopefully, similar weather to what you had :D

Hi Rod

My most climbed Munro was one of the ones you did a few weeks ago - Carn ant Sagairt Mor.

Hope you get good weather at the weekend.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:12 pm

Gordie12 wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:That's a fine walk Gordie, my most climbed munro, funny like you until a couple of weeks ago I had not been up Broad Cairn for a couple of years. Surprised that nearly all the new snow has now gone, there were patches when we did it from Loch Callater, a first time from that direction. What a day though, a day to warrant many an hour on a hill. I'm keeping my Brownie points for the WH April meet next weekend hopefully, similar weather to what you had :D

Hi Rod

My most climbed Munro was one of the ones you did a few weeks ago - Carn ant Sagairt Mor.

Hope you get good weather at the weekend.

Hi Gordie, well I guess you know the path from loch Callater well if your familier to Carn ant Sagairt Mor. It's a fine climb nice and gradual with good views of the Loch below, no doubt you have seen all the parts of the plane wreckage by now. Thanks for the good wishes next weekend, it direly cannot beat the last one, stunning!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:34 pm

It's actually a really fine looking hill from almost every direction, 20km after 2 x twenty miler days, well done :clap: :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:11 pm

Beaner001 wrote:It's actually a really fine looking hill from almost every direction, 20km after 2 x twenty miler days, well done :clap: :clap:

Hi Beaner001 - not everyone's cup of tea (the Gorms) but I always enjoy them. Any hill would have been good in Sunday's weather.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Graeme D » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:51 am

A nice opportunist strike Gordie! :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby rockhopper » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:01 pm

a great result for something that wasn't planned - seem to be frogs everywhere at the moment - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland