walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cateran Trail Walk

Cateran Trail Walk

Postby zhickman » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:40 pm

Route description: Cateran Trail

Date walked: 24/08/2012

Time taken: 4 days

Distance: 104 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I really liked this walk. A great mix of landscapes and walking terrain. Some fantastic scenery. Wild camped for 3 nights, plenty of locations to do this, and plenty of burns and rivers for a chilly wash and repleneshing water bottles. Only rained on 1 day, and did it rain! Luckily this was on my last day of walking. I found the sign posting very useful and never got lost, which is unusual for me. If you wanted to B&B, there are locations where you can do this at adequate distances, and to replenish supplies.
zhickman
Hill Bagger

Re: Cateran Trail Walk

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:38 pm

Hi

Did the Cateran last year (in June) also over 4 days.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and as it's local, I'll probably do it again in the future but what surprised me was how quiet it was. Over the 4 days I saw 2 dog walkers near Blairgowrie and 1 near Kirkmichael and that was it - nobody else doing the complete way (I think I'm going to get a surprise when I do the West Highland Way/Great Glen Way next May!!).

Gordon
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:04 pm

Hi znickman, I'm hoping to do this some time next year :) , can you tell me where you wild camped and if they were as good as you had hoped, or were there any places you saw which would be ideal for a wild camp? :D Rod
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby jules999 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:05 pm

I started doing The Cateran Trail yesterday, I love quite near so yesterday my friends and I did blairgowrie to Bridge of Cally then back to blairgowrie,, that was about 15 miles,, wee stop off at Bridge of Cally pub for bite to eat and pint before heading back,, I am going out to do another part tomoro,,, Bridge of Cally to Kirkmichael then back again, that's about 18 mile,, good training for us as we are doing the West Highland Way in May :)
jules999
Mountain Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:67
Fionas:19   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:33   
Islands:4

Postby andrewl7642 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:48 pm

Got the footprint map for Cateran Trail end of last summer, will probably get round to walking it in June over 4 or 5 days, camping throughout but haven't got anybody to walk with, does anyone else fancy it?
andrewl7642
Scrambler

Munros:16   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes