walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Mountain Boots

Re: Mountain Boots

Postby mountain coward » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:15 am

LMAO - that story is hilarious! Reminds me of when I parked on my Dad's foot when driving my mother's car. He very calmly asked if I would move the car forward a bit please. I asked him why and he informed me I was parked on his foot! LOL He had good old-fashioned shoes on which he'd had for years - they saved his foot but I'm afraid he doesn't have his good ol' shoes any more!
mountain coward

Postby Highlander » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:41 pm

Cheers for the tale Maddjock, a close call, hope your feet have fully recovered now. Sounds like the incident would have been much more painful without the trusted Meindl's on your feet. Didn't realise that I had a pair of safety boots (without toe caps!) in the deal. Can't wait to get out into the hills to put them through their paces now.
Highlander
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:23
Fionas:11   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:2   Islands:17

Postby thenobz » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:57 pm

HIGH HEELS MATE. BUT THEY ARE NAE USE ON THE SOFT GROUND! :lol:
thenobz

Munros:56   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   

Postby Myth » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:53 pm

I'm cursing and swearing. Picture me truely hacked off...

I got one of the last "real" Karrimor boots, which has done me proud for years (NOT the same now - not advised).
I've said before they were getting tired - well they've pretty much all but died now, which is a real shame.

In Aviemore two weekends ago (in the 'van - man was it difficult to get around between the snow/ice, the size of my 'van and the idiot tourists). and went boot shopping.

Tried all the central stores, and the ONLY one where I found a pair that almost made me reach for my wallet was in Nevissport... But I got confused in trying on so many boots, and have TOTALLY forgotten what make (I do remember they were on the back wall, top shelf, towards the left...). Went away to look elsewhere and didn't write down the make/model. 'Twas something GT I think, but there's a lot of boots out there.

Now I'm in Inverness, I cannot seen to find the same boot. DAMN.

I've a wide foot, and I too have trouble finding a boot with space at the front (unlike Berghaus) that I dont slip out of at the back (Manta for instance).

SIGH.
Myth

Postby sproot » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:32 am

could it be these boots ?Meindl Men's Burma pro gtx, where gtx stands for gore tex, a great boot, :D
i just ordered a pair from blacks for £120 down from £140 online using discount code 15off,

hope this may help

john
sproot

Munros:2   Corbetts:3

Postby Myth » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:22 pm

Nope, wasn't them, but a quick browse on the Nevisport website at least got me the make - Raichle. Mountain Trail I think, but the model definitely ended GT, not GTX... odd.

Now I need to find some reviews and a seller in Inverness!
Myth

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:22 pm

I've had a pair of the Raichle Mt. Trail GTX for about 18months now. On the whole they are very good.

Waterproofing - I've used in knee deep snow and an 8 hour walk in rain and my feet have stayed completely dry (when the rest of me was soaking).

Soles - the Vibran soles give good grip in the dry and wet but, as is pretty well known, are not great on some types of snow.

Comfort - I use simple insoles and wear 2 pairs of socks with them (personal taste more than a real necessity) and find them very comfy and warm.

Weight - they are pretty heavy and I don't use them for shorter and/or low level walks. I have size 9s and they weigh 850g each.

Usage - I've done about 20 "proper" walks in them and, aside from scuff marks, they have held up very well. I have had no blisters (although this is probably due to good fit and good socks) and no twisted ankles so they tick those boxes too. All I have done to maintain them is a good clean and application of a nubuck stick thing (sorry, dunno what it is called) after each walk and the ubiquitous waterproof spray a couple of times.

Conclusion would be that for higher and/or rougher ground, these are excellent 3 season boots. I think some places have them on sale as they are a couple of years old now.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Myth » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:44 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:I've had a pair of the Raichle Mt. Trail GTX for about 18months now....Conclusion would be that for higher and/or rougher ground, these are excellent 3 season boots. I think some places have them on sale as they are a couple of years old now.

Thank you!
There are 3 versions of this boot around now - but I cannot find a sale size nine!
Myth

Postby munrojo » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:27 pm

scarpas are the one for me never be without them versatile and long lasting..
munrojo

Munros:188   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:1

Postby munrojo » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:34 pm

i remember heading out to schehallion, with my mate lindsay and we got all the way to the car park and i got mine on and lindsay was frantically searching for something in the car :oops: you guessed it he forgot his "BOOTS" sorry lindsay :lol:
but we still did the hill, me in my boots and lindsay with his :oops: trainers..
munrojo

Munros:188   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:1

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk