walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Halfway on Bowscale Fell

Halfway on Bowscale Fell

Postby martin.h » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:31 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Bannerdale Crags, Bowscale Fell, Mungrisdale Common, Souther Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Bannerdale Crags, Bowscale Fell

Date walked: 04/04/2015

Time taken: 6.25

Distance: 16.7 km

Ascent: 853m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Easter weekend, for most people, is the first holiday after Christmas and we all wish for favourable weather, after all, it is spring and should be getting warmer by now. :D :clap:

We only had a couple of days so we decided to go Saturday, the Lakes was chosen and when the forecast was looking good we decided on the Northern Lakes, well away from the main centres
where it could be a bit manic to say the least.
I had looked at the map and saw there were four Wainwrights we hadn't even considered stringing together untill I'd read a few threads on Walkhighlands so Mungrisdale was to be our start point and Bowscale Fell, Mungrisdale Common, Bannerdale Crags and Souther Fell were our chosen ones.

Hoping to grab a decent parking spot in Mungrisdale village we had an early start, set off from home 7.20am and was parked up in the little carpark opposite the community centre in Mungrisdale by 9.10am, paid the £2.00 all day fee in the honesty box (bargain) and were off walking by 9.30.

The morning was fine, a bit of cloud on the higher summits but that was shifting and it as warm. Walking out of the village we took the track leading straight on from the phone box and walked towards The Tongue.
P4040097.JPG
Heading towards The Tongue

P4040098.JPG
Bannerdale Crags from the track.

As we were getting closer we decided on a direct assult of The Tongue instead of following the track around to the left of it.
P4040100.JPG
Straight up, not too bad especially compared to some of the ascents we've done in Glen Shiel.

Looking at the map, once on the ridge above its a direct line to the summit of Bowscale Fell. It was a steep climb but not a long one, about 260 mtrs of height and 1/2 km distance to the top of The Tongue.
P4040104.JPG
Views from our climb, towards the Northern Pennines.

P4040107.JPG
Down to the track from Mungrisdale.

Once up there the hard work was done for the rest of the day really, the clouds were lifting off the summits and the views were getting better.
P4040109.JPG
Bowscale Fell from The Tongue

P4040110.JPG
Across to Bannerdale Crags.

P4040117.JPG

Instead of going directly for the summit of Bowscale Fell we contoured around the head of Bullfell Beck to the small cairns on the lumps above Bowscale Tarn once there there we turned round and headed for Bowscale Fell itself.
As we were wandering over to Bowscale Fell it dawned on me that this was to be my halfway point for collecting Wainwrights, a small landmark I know but it does feel like things are moving, for me anyway, Denise still has 40 to do to catch up but we'll try and combine new ones for us both and duplicates for me to help Denise to catch up.
P4040123.JPG
Denise on Bowscale Fell.

P4040125.JPG
Me, halfway there.

P4040127.JPG
Hillside steaming, Bannerdale Crags behind.

P4040128.JPG
Skiddaw in the distance.

P4040132.JPG
Blencathra from Bowscale Fell.

From Bowscale Fell we headed for the dip between Bannerdale Crags and Blencathra and then headed out to Mungrisdale Common.
P4040134.JPG
Bowscale Fell from the dip.

This is a 25 minute soggy walk to what amounts to a small pile of stones, nothing else, completely featureless but you do get some nice views of Skiddaw and the softer side of Blencathra, I can see why A.W. likened it to a pudding that has been sat on.
P4040135.JPG
Mungrisdale Common cairn, a long soggy walk was had to get there.

P4040136.JPG
The serene side of Blencathra from Mungrisdale Common.

From the cairn we simply walked back for another 25 mins to the dip and headed on up Bannerdale Crags, it only took 15 mins to get to the summit but what a contrast to the mundane Mungrisdale Common, the views from the summit were fantastic.
P4040140.JPG
Denise on Bannerdale Crags.

P4040141.JPG
Blencathra from Bannerdale Crags, looks quite nice from this angle.

P4040143.JPG
Bannerdale Crags themselves, could be interesting in full winter conditions.

P4040144.JPG
Souther Fell to the right The tounge to the lower left.

From the summit we headed down White Horse Bent to the footbridge over the River Glendermackin and started the rather pleasant but easy walk up Souther Fell.
P4040146.JPG
Views from the climb onto Souther Fell - Sharp Edge on Blencathra.

P4040149.JPG

P4040150.JPG
Bannerdale Crags from Souther Fell.

Arrived at the summit and, not realising it, headed straight on there's not much of a cairn, if at all, so we had to break with tradition and took the photo of Denise minus cairn.
P4040153.JPG
Denise on Souther Fell Bannerdale Crags in the background.

and I took one of the end of The Tongue because from Souther Fell our direct route does look steepish.
P4040154.JPG
The Tongue from Souther Fell.

From Souther Fell back down to Mungrisdale village is an easy but steepish descent, we followed a group of people who took the direct line along the ridge and soon realised it was a mistake because when we reached the fence at the bottom the farmer had blocked all access to his fields in an attempt to stop walkers from leaving gates open allowing livestock to wander out of the fields, I had read about this and you can't blame the farmer for his actions but I was hoping the group of folk knew of a new development regarding the farmer but to no avail so we had to divert about a 1/2 mile or so untill we found access to the minor road. If you keep your eyes peeled whilst approaching the top of Souther Fell from the S.W. a path does lead off down to the right at about NY354289, although we didn't use this it looks like its the way off so a small amount of backtracing is needed from the summit.

This is a fairly quiet part of Lakeland, we did see quite a few people on our hills but we could see a load more on Blencathra, we had a good day out and we've a few more to do around this part of the Lakes so we'll save them for the summer when the rest of the Lakes comes to a near standstill.
Last edited by martin.h on Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: Halfway on Bowscale Fell

Postby ChrisW » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:07 am

Great report Martin with lovely pics along the way, I'm really surprised by the lack of folks up there (even though it is a less popular area) I would have expected more on the holidays....few folks = better hikes :wink: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mike202 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:49 pm

Nice pics, love the one of the steam coming off the fell. Been a few months since it was hot enough to do that I bet :lol:

The diversion at the bottom of Souter Fell isn't too bad is it?

Looks like you had a good day! :clap:
mike202
Munro compleatist

Munros:148   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:99
Wainwrights:214   

Postby martin.h » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:49 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great report Martin with lovely pics along the way, I'm really surprised by the lack of folks up there (even though it is a less popular area) I would have expected more on the holidays....few folks = better hikes :wink: :lol:

Hi Chris,
Its good to find a quiet part of the Lakes, not quite as quiet as the Southern Uplands, but its a change to be away from the popular bits.
Thanks for reading.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby martin.h » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:18 pm

mike202 wrote:Nice pics, love the one of the steam coming off the fell. Been a few months since it was hot enough to do that I bet :lol:

The diversion at the bottom of Souter Fell isn't too bad is it?

Looks like you had a good day! :clap:

Hi mike202,
It was warm enough but its surprising how wet the hillsides are.

The diversion isn't a long one, just turn right along the fence/wall when you reach it and you soon arrive at the gate on the minor road, go through it and not long after, the pub :D :D :D
Thank you for reading.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:39 pm

A fine report and pics. Congratulations an the half way point being passed, always good to think of more behind you than in front.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby martin.h » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:19 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:A fine report and pics. Congratulations an the half way point being passed, always good to think of more behind you than in front.

Thanks for that JK, its funny really, we were never ones for tick lists and its only since we caught the Munro collecting bug that the Wainwrights were considered as a goal when we couldn't get to Scotland, being in our mid 50's I'm not sure we'll complete either, but you never know. :D
Hope to see you on a hill some time.
Thanks for reading.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Beaner001 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:32 pm

A real photogenic landscape Marts, your pics do it justice :clap:
Like the look of Blencathra and Bannersdale crags :D
Congrats on the halfway mark :clap: :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby martin.h » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:26 am

Beaner001 wrote:A real photogenic landscape Marts, your pics do it justice :clap:
Like the look of Blencathra and Bannersdale crags :D
Congrats on the halfway mark :clap: :clap:

Thanks Matthew.
Blencathra is an interesting mountain, there's plenty of variety on it with Sharp Edge being its own little jewel.
I can see that you'll get to your halfway point on the Munros this year, and, fingers crossed, we might be with you.
Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland