walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Three Peaks Challenge ( Scotland,England,Wales )

The Three Peaks Challenge ( Scotland,England,Wales )

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:52 am

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Path

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 24/06/2014

Time taken: 10.35 hours

Distance: 37 km

Ascent: 3701m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Challenge Movie:

Finally the day "D" for our National Three Peaks Challenge: Highest mountain of Scotland, England and Wales in 24 hours, including the driving time between Ben Nevis, Scaffel Pike and Snowdon.
I registered myself and my brother for it and we encouraged ourself by the name of our two men team: Strong Eagles, which was 1st psychical motivation step for our success :D :wink: :lol: We decided for this time of year, because of longest daylight, short darkness and we also hoped in good dry weather.
Originally I planned the start around 16:00 from Ben Nevis, drive overnight to Scaffel Pike, started there in sunrise and finish Snowdon afternoon, but finally I prepared the route for start at 9:00 from Ben Nevis carpark, hoping we will finish Scaffel Pike before darkness, move to Snowdon overnight and get Snowdon summit around sunrise time... :crazy: 8) We had not anyone else for driving between the areas, but I believed that I will be able to do it as driving is also my hobby :D despite the fact that we did not sleep in Fort William, but woke up at 4:45 am and started the drive from home - 190 km to Fort William which was another extra extension of the route and time without rest and sleep, just get us to the start point :crazy: ...But we were really looking forward for the challenging adventure, determined to do it...and enjoy it ! :D :wink: :D Below you can see the story...Take a coffee or tea, relax and enjoy...as we did the effort :lol: 8) :wink:
DSCF6217.JPG
Ben Nevis Inn carpark: Waiting ready for 9:00 - our start time
:)
DSCF6227.JPG
Watterfall - half way in 1 hour 3 mins, promising...but still alot of hard work ahead
:roll:
DSCF6242.JPG
Snow belt...still there in end of June
:o 8)
DSCF6260.JPG
Wet summit of Ben Nevis - 2h 22 mins, not my best time on the summit, but good enough for all three together
8) :) :D :lol:
DSCF6275.JPG
Visited my secret special important place behind the summit...
DSCF6286.JPG
Leaving the summit after 23 mins spending there as it was first time for my brother on Ben Nevis
:roll: :D
DSCF6294.JPG
An willing walker made this pics
DSCF6301.JPG
Back in carpark...unfortunatelly not time for a big steak and beer
:( :D :crazy:
DSCF6301b.jpg
a short stop at home ( is on the way from Ben Nevis to Scaffel Pike ), supporting hugs from my girls and thermo-bottle of coffee was good reason to spend some extra mins.
DSCF6334.JPG
Up to Scaffell Pike: We met an last "dayshift" walkers on their way down, they made us this pic
:D
DSCF6366.JPG
above the clouds
DSCF6389a.jpg
Enjoying...
DSCF6386.JPG
Summit photo together
DSCF6396.JPG
Walk from Pen Y Pass - Miners track to Snowdon. Snowdon in the background
DSCF6414.JPG
Snowdon is closer now
DSCF6430.JPG
The junction of Pyg Track & Miners Track...famous Crib Goch on the left
DSCF6444.JPG
looking back
DSCF6457.JPG
The timber post with coins
DSCF6459.JPG
a wee inversion
DSCF6461.JPG
near the ridge to Snowdon summit
DSCF6463.JPG
another beautiful view back
:) 8)
DSCF6464.JPG
On the top before turning left to the Snowdon
DSCF6481.JPG
Snowdon summit - the final one of the great challenge
:D
DSCF6488.JPG
Happiness ! Sunrise, inversion, last one done - the summit of Snowdon
:D 8) :wink: :D 8) :clap:
DSCF6495a.jpg
Completed !!! Back in carpark, The Three Peaks Challenge done in 22 hours and 1 min. despite all the time spent on summits, short home stop and driving... Great feelings
:D 8) :wink:
We really enjoyed the Challenge at all :D Not just chasing the time, but spent some extra time on the Ben Nevis summit, extra stop at home - to see and to hug my girls...fuel up coffe...etc. It makes it special if you can do it with someone...and it was always great time together with my brother. Enjoying also the driving between the mountains in Scotland, England and Wales - having fun by some stories and experiences. After the successful finish - second day without any rest and sleep, we felt tired...but somehow we also felt refreshed and excited, especially after the Snowdon sunrise...it was still very early morning when we finished, the day just started so after an hygiene necessaries and changing our clothes we decided to do a trip around North Wales ! :D
I was there one year ago with my wife and my daughter ( did Snowdon by Llanberis path - they used the railway ), so now I wanted to show to my brother some beautiful interesting places in the area... On our way after the Challenge, we visited also Conwy Castle and Caernarfon until we get accomodated at Royal Celtic Hotel ( recomended ) afternoon. The hotel offered some relaxing - refreshing activities so we enjoyed the small swiming pool, jacuzzi and steam room...Then we spent some short time in the bar - beer tasted very well after all the effort in the mountains ! :lol: :lol: :lol: Great dinner then and finally arfter 20:00 we decided that sleep will be the best what we can do :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Woke up early another day, we did another trip to Isle of Anglesey...too many stairs down from the rock to the lighthouse, then up in the lighthouse and then back up stairs !!! :shock: :o :lol: The way back home afternoon was relaxing with some good music and our experiences... :D :wink:
Last edited by Petr Dakota on Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Re: The Three Peaks Challenge ( Scotland,England,Wales )

Postby Beaner001 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:48 pm

Well done Petr, enjoyed reading your account. We made it by a mere 22 minutes when I did it after getting lost in the van going into Scafell, Ben Nevis had the typical Black Garrison weather of full pelt rain all day and I had to run off Snowdon using the pig track :( . The great thing about it is you keep bumping into others doing the same challenge at different points and are able to share energy drinks, snacks and stories on your way :clap:
Thanks for posting :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:56 pm

Well done Sir :clap: :clap: Good on you, any reason for not going up the Pyg track instead of the miners track? Just wondered. Rather you than me with all that driving. The last time I did the Ben It took me 2.5hours to the summit, that was two years ago, not bad for an old fella :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Happyfeet » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:45 pm

The Eagles were indeed Strong! Well done Petr and brother :clap: :clap:
Enjoyed the photos and all.
Happyfeet
Munro compleatist

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:24   

Postby Silverhill » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:07 pm

Well done, a great achievement! :clap:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Petr Dakota » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:47 pm

Beaner001 wrote:Well done Petr, enjoyed reading your account. We made it by a mere 22 minutes when I did it after getting lost in the van going into Scafell, Ben Nevis had the typical Black Garrison weather of full pelt rain all day and I had to run off Snowdon using the pig track :( . The great thing about it is you keep bumping into others doing the same challenge at different points and are able to share energy drinks, snacks and stories on your way :clap:
Thanks for posting :D

Thanks, glad you enjoyed :)
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:56 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Well done Sir :clap: :clap: Good on you, any reason for not going up the Pyg track instead of the miners track? Just wondered. Rather you than me with all that driving. The last time I did the Ben It took me 2.5hours to the summit, that was two years ago, not bad for an old fella :lol:

Thanks Rod, your speed is still excellent :clap: My Ben Nevis alone is 2h 10 mins up and 1h 20 mins down, but not in snow :D The reason for Miners track is that I am atacking Snowdon by different routes ( used also Llanberis path one year before ) and the difference between Pyg and Miners is not so big, even Pyg is quicker and most used. My next Snowdon will be via Crib Goch up and Llyn Lydaw down :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:58 pm

Happyfeet wrote:The Eagles were indeed Strong! Well done Petr and brother :clap: :clap:
Enjoyed the photos and all.
thank you Emmelie, glad you enjoyed :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:58 pm

Silverhill wrote:Well done, a great achievement! :clap:

thank you :)
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:29 pm

Some more pictures:
DSCF6258.JPG
DSCF6266.JPG
DSCF6292.JPG
DSCF6342.JPG
DSCF6388.JPG
DSCF6477.JPG
DSCF6490.JPG
DSCF6489.JPG
DSCF6493.JPG
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:17 pm

Well done - a great read - often wondered what that challenge would be like :lol: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:51 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Well done - a great read - often wondered what that challenge would be like :lol: :lol:

Thank you :) Glad that it was useful & that you can see what is it about :D :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:02 pm

Photo from our Three Peak Challenge selected and published in TRAIL magazine :D 8) :D
TRAIL 1.jpg
TRAIL 2.jpg
TRAIL 3.jpg
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:15 pm

Well done Petr :clap: :clap:

Any reason why you didn't take your girls with you......????

I see you want to do Snowdon starting at the Crib Goch end next. You will like this - it's the best (= more interesting) route.

If you haven't already done it, you should do the Welsh 3000ers also - 15 peaks above 3000 feet, 44 km distance (Pen-y-Pas to Aber Falls), and about 3850m of ascent - just up your street!!!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Petr Dakota » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:30 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Well done Petr :clap: :clap:

Any reason why you didn't take your girls with you......????

I see you want to do Snowdon starting at the Crib Goch end next. You will like this - it's the best (= more interesting) route.

If you haven't already done it, you should do the Welsh 3000ers also - 15 peaks above 3000 feet, 44 km distance (Pen-y-Pas to Aber Falls), and about 3850m of ascent - just up your street!!!

Thanks :) 2 years old Girl for Three peaks challenge ? :lol: My Girls were with me on Snowdon and all Nort Wales area one year before -in september 2013 and they got to the summit as well...but they used the Mountains Train :lol: I used llanberis path and we met on the summit. Yes, my plan is Snowdon again - via Crib Goch up and then Llyn Lydaw down - both nice ridges...and adding the Hewits by the way :wink:
Thanks for the advice about the Welsh 3000...I heard abot the Challenge, but have not done yet...maybe in late future...Wales is not behind corner for me and my priority and goal is the Crib Goch finally :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland