walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

EC Technology 22400mah Power Pack

EC Technology 22400mah Power Pack

Postby Foxy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:15 pm

Now that the tent and stove have been taken care off, I'm now looking for a decent external power pack for charging my mobile phone over a period of a few days to a week.
Have been looking at the EC Technology 22400mah but would value everyone's comments and suggestions before I part with my hard-earned.

Regards, Foxy
Foxy
Mountain Walker

Re: EC Technology 22400mah Power Pack

Postby bydand_loon » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:41 pm

looks ok, quite heavy?

i use this one,a lot less mAh and one less port, but smaller and half the weight (i think) i think, it keeps my working phone and viewranger only phone going for about 5 days each, then it needs a few hours charging, theres so many varients around these days, theyre probably all pretty much alike.

I did a 12 day walk with it last year and charged it once on route, the bigger one might be better if you know your not going to get the chance to recharge it while out and about.

I dont think mine is quite so good now as it was though, its two years old and has had a lot of use so i canna whinge too much
i blew my first one up by putting it on charge and trying to charge a phone off it at the same time, lesson learnt :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyAcc-10000mAh-Brilliant-Smartphone-Bluetooth/dp/B00H9BEC8E

late edit bit :shock:
i was swithcing all phones off at night and it was fully charged at the start of the walk and nearly dead at the end
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby tenohfive » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:17 pm

Looks like massive overkill to me.

What sort of phone is it? If it's an Android phone, even with an older batteries (phone batteries degrade with repeated charging cycles/time) you should be able to get a few days use just by turning off mobile data in the quick settings bar. Mentioned on other threads but my Xperia Z1 did 2 nights and 2 days wild camping (occasional GPS use, about 30 photo's) and I came back with 50% battery - just from turning mobile data off. And there are other tweaks that you can make to reduce power consumption further.

I took Anker and Tecknet battery packs but used neither. I'd say that 10,000mah one linked above should do you a week - but I'd still have a look for a lighter one for 1-2 day trips. This one is 130g:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F4TCYKG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby Michael Thomson » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:20 pm

Monster overkill. 10k should be plenty for a week, unless you plan to be playing angry birds all day while walking.
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging

Postby Foxy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:51 pm

I have a Samsung S4 and will be using it for Social media, taking photos and texting. Also need it for a vacation in Mexico where it will be used to boost 4 phones on a daily basis.
Foxy
Mountain Walker

Postby tenohfive » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:21 pm

Foxy wrote:I have a Samsung S4 and will be using it for Social media, taking photos and texting. Also need it for a vacation in Mexico where it will be used to boost 4 phones on a daily basis.

I took a 12,000mah battery pack car camping, and it recharged an iPad being used daily for films (it **** it down all week) and intermittent mobile phone use for a week. It had 1/3 left, I stand by the 10,000mah suggestion.

Android is great for rinsing extra life out of the phone. I don't know what the power saving mode does, but if it doesn't have some sort of mode that switches mobile data off whenever the screen is off then it's easy enough to set up something that'll do the same job in Tasker. Hunting for data signal rinses the battery so that's an easy answer. But if you're in the hills I wouldn't hold your breath too much for social media use anyway.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk