walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall an Fhudair a hard won Corbett

Meall an Fhudair a hard won Corbett

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:25 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall an Fhudair

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Damhain

Date walked: 08/04/2015

Time taken: 7.25 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1273m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I tried this hill last September, but the heavy going defeated me - growth is at a maximum at the end of the summer, but Winter's snows flatten the grass so I thought it might be better in April and indeed it was - but this is a hill that requires quite an effort to reach. As I planned to include Beinn Damhain, I wanted to get as close as possible on a track, so I decided on the northern route up Gleann nan Caorann .
The day was clear and sunny, but distant views were very hazy and became more so as the day wore on. There were two other cars parked as I set off up the track, over the railway and past the cows (they always seem to congregate around the first major turn). To straighten the route I took the side track on the R up to a pylon and headed straight uphill to rejoin the track just where the standard route leaves it. The track up the side of glen provides very good going past innumerable intakes. The Graham Meall nan Gabhar with its twin peaks looked very impressive straight ahead, and the whole of the Ben Lui group gradually appeared, the view rather spoiled by the huge pylons that run up the glen - They wouldn't allow wind turbines here so why pylons which to my mind are just as intrusive? -
Fu01.jpg
First view up Gleann nan Caorann
Fu02.jpg
Meall nan Gabhar looks very impressive from this side
Fu03.JPG
Pylons rather spoil the view of the Ben Lui Group
Eventually the track turns sharp R down the hill and I carried on along a rough path that soon deteriorated
Fu05.jpg
the track deteriorates but Beinn Bhuidhe comes into view
There seemed little point in following this flat track so I headed diagonally upwards over easy angled ground into Coir'an Langart, the broad corrie NNE of the summit.
Fu06a.JPG
The whole Ben Lui group from the corrie - no pylons
A number of snow ribbons descended all the way from the summit ridge and I headed up and across to the foot of one - but the snow was soft so I climbed up beside it: nearer the top I ventured back and it was a bit firmer.
Fu07.jpg
Looking down the ribbon of snow
Fu08.jpg
Looking back down to Gleann nan Caorann
Fu09.jpg
From the summit looking E to Troisgeach - the Crianlarich hills behind
Fu10.jpg
Even in the thick haze the Arrochar Alps look impressive from here. Ben Vorlich and Ben Vane either side of loch Sloy. Beinn Damhain in front
Fu11.jpg
I thought Beinn Bhuidhe was rather dull when I climbed it - it looks less so from here
Fu12.jpg
The Cruachan peaks
Fu13.jpg
Ben Lui again
Fu14.jpg
Meall nan Gabhar - the Etive peaks in the distance on the R
I descended the soggy slopes to the col and looked up at Ben Damhain. There is no finesse about this ascent - you just go straight up and I wasn't really looking forward to it. But it was much the best terrain of the day (tracks excepted) and much drier than anywhere on the Corbett. Being a steep N face, the vegitation is stunted and after the intial boggy section I zig-zagged easily up on short grass and heather. I was going so well at the top that I zoomed towards a knoll on the S side not realising the top was behind me on my L :roll:. I got there eventually.
Fu16.jpg
Back to Meall an Fhudair
The lochan looked deceptively close, but there is a lot of dead ground inbetween, sizeable rock outcrops and steep soft snow that I steered well clear of - so it turned out to be quite tortuous and somehow I ended up at the wrong end of the lochan :roll: again.
Fu17.jpg
Lochan Beinn Damhain and Ben Vorlich
From here it was an easy if wet descent beside the burn, over the bridge and back along the track past the "stationary" cows to the car.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by past my sell by date on Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Re: Meall an Fhudair a hard won Corbett

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:16 pm

Ha. I remember the cows well. I think i done a report on this one too. I done a huge detour to avoid the cows as they scare me :( Found the summit a wee bit tricky to find in misty conditions. Nice one
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Meall an Fhudair a hard won Corbett

Postby rockhopper » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:58 pm

Nice day for it - it's a good walk with some fine views. Did the same trip last year - was interested to see your route as I came off the path earlier and headed more westwards whereas you followed the path further then went more southwards - found it steep in places so maybe your route though longer may be better - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland