walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Arkle, not worth racing up

Arkle, not worth racing up

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:15 pm

Route description: Arkle

Corbetts included on this walk: Arkle

Date walked: 10/04/2015

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 880m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

49055.jpg
This famous old horse was named after the hill

What a dilemma we faced, looking back I realise now that we were spoilt for choice.
After chatting for a few weeks on FB trying to decide what the plan of action would be for the Durness invasion, we had opted to tackle Cranstackie and partner on the Friday because the forecast was promising and Saturday was all doom and gloom.
One of the big problems was the 5 hour drive before we even reached the start.
The plan was to pick up Martin (mg1976) from Inverkeithing Railway Station at 0550hrs and head up to Inverness (Dobbies) where we were meeting up with Gary, Leia and Ruth for breakfast. A slight flaw in the plan was Dobbies didn’t open until 9am, that meant I could dawdle up the A9 and we still arrived 20mins before the shutters of Dobbies were raised :(
I opted for the 10 piece breakfast and as it turned out it kept me going all day until the evening meal at 7.30pm, great value for a fiver :clap:
It was whilst devouring the breakfast that we decided to amend the plan and go for Arkle as the WH timings were a bit more favourable, in theory would take less time :lol:
As the organiser of the “Meet” I had been planning to be first to arrive, but I decided to make the most of the weather window and arrive at the bunkhouse once we had finished, I was confident everyone would be able to cope in my absence 8), as it turned out we (the Martin's) arrived not long after 7pm. It was a quick hello to everyone who was there, dump the bags in the room, beer in the fridge and then down to the pub for dinner :lol:
Now onto the walk itself, after the long drive north in a mini convoy with Gary we reached the parking area near Achfary which also doubles up as the start point for Ben Stack, at the south end of Loch Stack.

ImageDSCF0580 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - parking area

The walk starts off along a tarmac road which then turns into a good track which is fairly flat for just over 3km, the next 1.5km continues along the track albeit rising a wee bit. The clue to tell you when to start ascending up Arkle for real is a cairn on the left hand side 8) As usual for reasons that we couldn't come up with answer for, we never noticed the cairn until the descent :lol: We much rather see parts of the hill that other walkers miss :wink:

ImageDSCF0738 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - how did we not notice that?

The path/track gives great views of the target and Arkle looks absolutely amazing, also Loch Stack and Ben Stack which looked rather pointy when we first saw it from the north, but as we made progress much less pointy :D

ImageDSCF0582 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - Arkle in the distance with Loch Stack on the left

ImageDSCF0584 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - Loch Stack with Ben Stack in the background

ImageDSCF0589 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - Abhainn an Loin which goes into Loch Stack, fortunately a sturdy bridge is on hand.

The ascent up the side of Arkle was very straightforward, over boulders and heather, I had noticed a snow covered gully so opted to ascend up that way whilst the rest of the gang took the easy route :lol:

ImageDSCF0600 by martin_beswick, on Flickr

ImageDSCF0608 by martin_beswick, on Flickr

ImageDSCF0612 by martin_beswick, on Flickr

ImageDSCF0618 by martin_beswick, on Flickr

ImageDSCF0619 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - my route of ascent to the large plateau top

ImageDSCF0628 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - large plateau top

We soon reached the plateau top which is certainly unique and unlike any summit I have ever seen. It was as if loose stones had been steam rollered and flattened into the soil :o There are a couple of cairns on the plateau and the views of Fionaven were awesome, it looks like an amazing hill and am still puzzled why the huge mass with ridges joining all the pointy bits is only one Corbett :o

ImageDSCF0630 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - Fionaven, the photo says it all

ImageDSCF0631 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - Arkle

ImageDSCF0635 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - indicates how large the plateau is

ImageDSCF0637 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - Fionaven

ImageDSCF0639 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - Loch an Easain Uaine

ImageDSCF0643 by martin_beswick, on Flickr

ImageDSCF0646 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - the way down to the bealach and then up to the ridge

ImageDSCF0648 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - looking down Am Bathaich (a huge gully)

ImageDSCF0650 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - Martin on the ridge that leads to the summit

ImageDSCF0651 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - Gary and Leia with a superb backdrop

The descent off the plateau was probably the worst part of the walk. There is a well worn path down that consisted of dusty loose stones and boulders then the bealach was reached. We had a quick look to the south to see if it would be possible to descend and traverse round the loose scree back to the path, however there was no obvious route, so we would be ascending up to the plateau again :(
The route from the bealach to the summit involved a bit of minor scrambling across large boulders and walking across large flat slabs of rock, with fantastic views on both sides 8)

ImageDSCF0654 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - Leia posing

ImageDSCF0656 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - Martin posing on the slabs

ImageDSCF0660 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - looking out to the Atlantic, shame it was a bit hazy

ImageDSCF0663 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - a typical high level Sutherland photo

After spending time on the summit taking in the amazing views it was time to head back down to the bealach and then up to the plateau. I had mentioned the snow filled gully as a descent option and we all agreed to head that way and have a bit of fun :lol:

ImageDSCF0672 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - Martin waiting patiently

ImageDSCF0673 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - Gary walking gingerly

ImageDSCF0674 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - great to get snow on your boots

ImageDSCF0675 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - Martin pretending to do an arrest with his poles :lol:

ImageDSCF0676 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - Crossing an interesting burn with hardly any wet stuff in it :shock:

Descending down the snow field was easy until we reached the lower part, Leia kindly showed us where the stream underneath was, we could hear running water and Leia managed to find it :lol: :lol:
After the snow field it was just a matter of picking our way down the through the heather and boulders, we opted to follow the burn downhill. We were fortunate in that we could see the path at the bottom that we were aiming for 8)

ImageDSCF0686 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - the burn was fascinating in that it was running over slabby rock that looked almost marble like 8)

ImageDSCF0690 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - water featurel

ImageDSCF0694 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - same water feature, looking like one of those champagne glasses creations where the champers trickles out of the glasses, am sure someone understands what I mean :lol:

ImageDSCF0696 by martin_beswick, on Flickr

ImageDSCF0704 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - Ben Stack looking amazing in the late afternoon light

ImageDSCF0705 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - view back to the car

ImageDSCF0706 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - Narnain boulders :lol:

ImageDSCF0710 by martin_beswick, on Flickr - a couple of locals checking to see if we were carrying guns :lol:

The walk back along the track as usual seemed much longer than the walk in :lol:
A fantastic day out, in great company on a superb unique hill. Gary and Leia summed it up as the best hill so far this year :lol:
The forecast for Saturday was doom and gloom, but I had volunteered to accompany Theresa, Charlie and the "leg-end" we all know as Rod to tackle Meall Horn - over to you Rod :wink:

PS: A big THANK YOU to all who made the long trek to the far north, hopefully the wee drive was worth the effort :wink: Maybe someone else will opt to have another meet in Durness in the future, I for one would definitely attend as Fionaven is calling me back, along with so many other fantastic hills 8)
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Arkle, not worth racing up

Postby tina bonar » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:23 pm

Bravo Martin :clap:
You're right about being spoilt for choice,we will be back to Durness again for sure!
If only i had more time on my hands :wink:
tina bonar
Mountaineer

Munros:163   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby simon-b » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:45 pm

Nice to see you in the far north Martin, a great place.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby gaffr » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:51 pm

Don't forget that the nearby donkey....Foinavon actually won the Grand National horse-race. :lol: Late nineteen sixties/ early seventies? I had a small amount of money on the horse that day. :)
I think that the very fine Arkle was too valuable a horse to risk in amongst the mayhem that in those times prevailed during the event.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:00 pm

Aye good stuff ,spoiled for choice right enough eh ? :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby PeteR » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:02 pm

Nice one Martin :clap:

When I get my Arkle report up you'll get to see what that alternative descent looks like :wink:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:06 pm

Nice one Martin. Id definitely be up for another meet in Durness. Ive still lots to do there. BTW that snow looks dodgy. Should you not have had on your crampons on that bit :lol:
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:20 pm

tina bonar wrote:If only i had more time on my hands :wink:

After June you will be able to relax :wink: :lol:

simon-b wrote:Nice to see you in the far north Martin, a great place.

Thanks Simon, see you next month, fingers crossed re you know what :lol:

gaffr wrote:Don't forget that the nearby donkey....Foinavon actually won the Grand National horse-race. :lol:

Unfortunately I remember watching the National that year :lol:

Collaciotach wrote:Aye good stuff ,spoiled for choice right enough eh ? :clap:

Thanks Colla :wink:

PeteR wrote:When I get my Arkle report up you'll get to see what that alternative descent looks like :wink:

Holding my breath Pete :lol:

mountain thyme wrote: Should you not have had on your crampons on that bit :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby trekker53 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:44 pm

Good report Martin,
Think I'll have to do Arkle again when we're back in Durness. A great looking mountain especially what I'd seen from Meall Horn.
Good choice in getting most of us to the far north, an often neglected area.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby rockhopper » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:51 pm

yup - that looked most enjoyable - some fine scenery up there - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:56 pm

Enjoyed that Martin, looks a fine mountain and looks like you had a great time at your meet :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:47 am

Nice one Martin, looks like Charlie and I might just do that one next time we are in the area. Fabulous hill, with so many interesting features, glad you made use of the soft snow coming down, save your old knees a bit :lol: Glad we all had fine views this day as there was so much to see all around us, Foinaven looks a massive ridge, I also note that Meall Horn doesn't get a mention with so many other outstanding hills around :wink: Like the waterfalls another good reason to go up and come down by the burn. Guess it's Foinaven for you next time! :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Backpacker » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:09 am

Good report and a cracking get together Martin,

Was definitely worth doing, I'll head back up that way in the not so distant future to tackle a few of the others.

Not much else I can add that everyone else hasn't said
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:117
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:37 am

Great day on a great hill - you're right, this one definitely worth a slow walk :lol: I'm also interested in your alternative descent route... We simply retraced our steps down to the track when we did Arkle.

Did anybody tackle Foinaven by the way? It's the next big Far North target for us, but we're waiting for long summer days.

The next meet is coming to our area so maybe we will show up... I'm working on Kevin, he doesn't like crowd but I have my ways of convincing :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:46 am

great hill :D looks a grand day!
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland