walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two Quickies before the WH Durness Meet

Two Quickies before the WH Durness Meet

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:15 pm

Route description: Beinn Enaiglair, Braemore Junction

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Enaiglair

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Doire Faid

Date walked: 09/04/2015

Time taken: 3.25 hours

Distance: 8.36 km

Ascent: 885m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Decisions, decisions, will I travel via Larig or Ullapool en route to Durness? decision had to be made which hills to pick up when travelling North to the WH meet at Durness. Decision made! Ullapool road faster and you get a good fish supper for tea, not only that I had read Johnny Corbetts TR on these hills at the very last minute, he had done these travelling to last years WH meet at Assynt suggesting they were a perfect warm up for the weekend, so the Corbett of Beinn Enaigair and the nearby Graham, Meall Doire Faid was to be the targets.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
After parking up at the Public Car park opposite the A832 junction (Corrie Hallie) with the main Ullapool Road A835, (1235hrs) go East from the parking area where there is a 'To the Hills' sign, the path that follows takes you to a gate at the East edge of the woods
2.JPG
After crossing a couple of metal bridges over streams and going through another gate there is a pole marked track through the heather towards the North of Home Loch, when North of the Loch you can make out a track in the distance
3.JPG
This track does not last long but there is a feint path which runs on the West side of the stream that runs out of a lochan catchment area between the Corbett and the Graham, follow this for as far as you wish and then head off towards through more heather and rocks towards the summit dome
4.JPG
Path adjacent to burn, heads in an Easterly direction
5.JPG
Passing a nice waterfall
6.JPG
Looking back towards the Road junction ( Corrie Hallie) taking you to An Teallach and the Westerly Fannichs
7.JPG
Summit cairn looking towards Beinn Dearg (arrived at 1415hrs)
8.JPG
Looking down over the West shoulder of the Corbett
9.JPG
To the South the next climb up to the Graham of Meall Doire Faid, which looks quite rocky but hardly any snow left so the decision to pack crampons and ice axe just in case was a wrong one, but at least its given me an idea how much snow will be left on the hills I will be doing over the weekend
10.JPG
On the way down off the Corbett
11.JPG
Bealach between the two hills, with that huge rock highly visible
12.JPG
Looking West down the way I had followed the burn earlier
13.JPG
After climbing a short distance over some loose boulders you can readily see a grassy rake to take to the summit, not as steep as it looked earlier
14.JPG
After a short climb you reach the summit at the top of the grassy rake.View looking North over towards the Corbett you have just climbed (summit time 1500hrs)
15.JPG
Coming off the South directly to head for the pole marked path at the start of the walk. Fannichs in the distance. Arrived at Car at 1550hrs
Attachments
16.JPG
After tasting one of the best fish suppers i've had in a while at Ullapool, I drive up to Durness and Sango Sands Campsite passing Ben Stack on the way
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Two Quickies before the WH Durness Meet

Postby trekker53 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:26 pm

Good report Rod, a fine sunny day to stretch your legs prior to meet.
Look forward to reading your following reports.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:13 pm

Nice wee report Rod and a cracking day. Think those hills took JC and me 3 hours 22minutes :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:32 pm

Lucky you being able to get an extra day, especially with blue skies on the menu :lol:
Up to your usual standard Rod :clap: :clap: Could have done with a fish supper on Saturday night as the chicken curry would have made a nice starter :wink:

mountain thyme wrote:Nice wee report Rod and a cracking day. Think those hills took JC and me 3 hours 22minutes :D

Nice one Theresa, love it :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: Rod will be back there very soon :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:54 pm

Nice one Rod, passed Braemore Junction a couple of times of late and wondered what was up there to my right when on the road.......now I know, it looked quite a climb from the road :lol: :clap:
Great views of the Deargs :D
Cheers
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:52 am

trekker53 wrote:Good report Rod, a fine sunny day to stretch your legs prior to meet.
Look forward to reading your following reports.

Thanks Charlie, I pushed on a bit on this one, and built up quite a sweat, drank loads as well, pity about the haze but you cannot have everything, another two blue balloons added though :wink:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:55 am

mountain thyme wrote:Nice wee report Rod and a cracking day. Think those hills took JC and me 3 hours 22minutes :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'd expect that reply from you. Better get on with my other reports so you can slag me off :lol: As you can see I still cannot get this Quote thing right, who cares :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:01 am

Fife Flyer wrote:Lucky you being able to get an extra day, especially with blue skies on the menu :lol:
Up to your usual standard Rod :clap: :clap: Could have done with a fish supper on Saturday night as the chicken curry would have made a nice starter :wink:

Nice one Theresa, love it :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: Rod will be back there very soon :wink:

The fish supper tasted out of this world, cooked to order, fresh fish with a light fried batter that melted in your mouth, chips were no bad either all eaten whilst sitting on a rock looking up at the hills I had just done at the end of Loch Broom.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:06 am

Beaner001 wrote:Nice one Rod, passed Braemore Junction a couple of times of late and wondered what was up there to my right when on the road.......now I know, it looked quite a climb from the road :lol: :clap:
Great views of the Deargs :D
Cheers

Thanks Beaner, make sure you add the Graham when you do it, no problems if you do the Corbett first, the grassy rake I climbed up if wet my just get a bit slippy for coming down, so I would approach from the North of the Graham and just come off directly of the South, never mind heading back to the path around the West side :wink: Not forgetting those Aberdeenshire Corbetts, but there are now a few others eyeing them up as well so the more the merrier :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:47 am

Hi Rod, nice pics from a couple of my "local" lower hills. They are good viewpoints to Fannichs and Fisherfields, even when haze spoils it a bit... I hope you didn't suffer too much bog on the approach... The path to Home Loch needs some drainage I think :lol:

We climbed this duo on two separate walks and I'd love to return to Beinn Enaiglair in winter conditions.

PS. Now you know the meaning of my famous phrase "a Quickie in the neighbourhood" :lol: :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby old danensian » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:51 pm

Nice to see how you warm up before the big events

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:44 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Hi Rod, nice pics from a couple of my "local" lower hills. They are good viewpoints to Fannichs and Fisherfields, even when haze spoils it a bit... I hope you didn't suffer too much bog on the approach... The path to Home Loch needs some drainage I think :lol:

We climbed this duo on two separate walks and I'd love to return to Beinn Enaiglair in winter conditions.

PS. Now you know the meaning of my famous phrase "a Quickie in the neighbourhood" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi BP, I'm copying your saying, sorry :lol: :lol: The Corbett stands out well when your eating your fish supper looking up Loch Broom from Ullapool :) It makes the Fish supper taste even better knowing you deserved it after the effort beforehand :lol: Buy the way passed by BP country on the way back to my Daughter's House South of the Beauly Firth.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:46 pm

old danensian wrote:Nice to see how you warm up before the big events

OD

:lol: :lol: It at least gave me an insight to how much snow was around for the bigger hills later on, out went the crampons and ice axe in went the Suncream :wink: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:32 pm

Nice quickies Rod - well spended time :wink: 8) :clap:
Love the pic no.2 & 10 :clap: :clap: :clap: ( not counting the map ) :)
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:59 pm

Petr Dakota wrote:Nice quickies Rod - well spended time :wink: 8) :clap:
Love the pic no.2 & 10 :clap: :clap: :clap: ( not counting the map ) :)

Fine hills and a lovely fish supper, nice start to the long weekend. You probably would knock another 20mins off my time :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland