walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Durness: Bens, Beaches and Bobby Dazzlers

Durness: Bens, Beaches and Bobby Dazzlers

Postby old danensian » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:00 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Hope, Ben Klibreck

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Spionnaidh, Cranstackie

Date walked: 10/04/2015

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Klibreck / Ben Hope
24.5km; 2060m; 9h

On Friday an icon died.

As some of us were driving, others were walking and the rest itching to get away from work, it was announced that a sporting legend had experienced his final dismissal. A journalist and broadcaster would never again entertain and inform us with his dry laconic wit and perceptive analysis. The nasal Aussie drawl of Richie Benaud would be heard no more.

To those for whom the name means nothing, and those for whom the donning of whites, the thwack of willow on leather, and a glass of Pimms on the boundary mean absolutely nothing, this may appear an incongruous opening to observations on the latest Walkhighlands get-together in Durness. In fact, those for whom sport, and cricket in particular, is anathema, then you may already have stopped reading. If not, bear with me ... please.

Durness-01.jpg
Early morning silhouette of Ben Klibreck from Vagastie Bridge

Howling gales, driving hail, and clag rarely feature in reports of balmy bucolic afternoons spent pondering the intricacies of leg-spin and the sight of four glorious runs being stroked through the covers. In a similar vein, boulder fields, peat hags and stalkers’ paths would appear to have little in common with long leg, second slip or silly mid on. The only common ground would appear to be “gully.”

If you are wondering where on earth this is going, think: Test Match Special.

John Arlott, Jim Laker, Peter West, and Brian Johnston: masters of not only writing but also talking. From the first ball of the day, as the morning dew is drying from the outfield, to stumps as evening light fades, their conversations entertained. Henry Blofeld (no, not the James Bond one) and Freddie Trueman joined Richie Benaud to spend the day talking to one another while we simply listened. Pigeons at The Oval, red buses driving down the Radcliffe Road by Trent Bridge and trains disgorging spectators on to the station adjacent to Old Trafford: oh, and they mentioned cricket sometimes too. Observations on hotels, taxis and the lightness of chocolate cake would be sandwiched between comments on the latest maiden over or an inglorious golden duck.

And as I drove south on Sunday, listening to tributes from Ian Chappell and Michael Parkinson, the parallels began to emerge. A trip report began to take shape. Well, not exactly a report ‘cos there’ll no doubt be plenty of proper ones to follow.

Durness-02.jpg
Leaving the road at Vagastie Bridge

In many ways the weekend was like one long broadcast of Test Match Special. Mountains, like the cricket, were in the background, ever-present. Everyone there, an eloquent expert ready and willing to share their experiences, not simply about Corbetts climbed and Munros mastered, but life the world and everything.

Durness-03.jpg
Ben Hope from Cnoc Sgriodain

My Friday loosener in the nets was an early morning solitary venture up Ben Klibreck, from the Vagastie Bridge and over Cnoc Sgriodain. I traversed below Creag an Lochan as if avoiding a bouncer, saving energy for a longer innings: Ben Hope was coming on to bowl as the next change. However, on top of Meall nan Con, I looked back at the ridge curving round to Carn an Fheidh and succumbed to the tempting short ball. The cost was maybe another half an hour or more added to the walk, but the view back round the corrie of Creag an Lochan was worth it.

Durness-04.jpg
The shattered triangulation pillar on Ben Klibreck - Creag an Lochain behind

Durness-05.jpg
Creag nan Lochain from Ben Klibreck

Durness-06.jpg
It's still a long way back to the car

Limbered up, I headed for Strath More and an afternoon spell on Ben Hope. On the narrow road, with clumps of grass growing down the middle like a tarmac Mohican, I chatted to a cyclist on his way to Ben Loyal. In amiable conversation neither of us noticed a car pulling up behind. The mood must have been contagious as there was no frustratingly sounded horn or impatient revving. We politely acknowledged one another and simply drove on. Only when parking a few miles later did I realise that Sunny Speyside had formed the queue. The WH meet-up had begun; the conversationalists had started to gather.

Durness-07.jpg
Dun Domaigil Broch and Ben Hope

Durness-08.jpg
Ben Hope from Alltnacaillich

Durness-09.jpg
The "conversationalists" begin to gather

Ben Hope was accompanied by apostrophes and peanut allergies, Boxing Day Tests and circuits of Montrose beach, e-books and proper books, writers from Peter May to Harper Lee, 150mm pipes and the Glasgow underworld.

Durness-10.jpg
"Look West Young Man" - or woman - or women - across Loch Hope from the slopes of Ben Hope

Durness-11.jpg
Ben Loyal from Ben Hope

We also passed some nice waterfalls, had some stunning views and climbed the most northerly Munro.

Durness-12.jpg
Time to descend

Durness-14.jpg
A departing hazy view back to Ben Hope

As Benaud frequently exclaimed, “a beauty; a right bobby-dazzler.”

Cranstackie / Beinn Spionnaidh
16km; 980m; 6h

Saturday saw the second innings engaged. PeteR, Sunny Speyside and I took on the bowling attack of Cranstackie and Beinn Spionnaidh. Having mastered the two most northerly Munros, it was time to take on the Corbett equivalents.

Durness-15.jpg
Foinaven from Carbreck

The TMS team would have had a field day describing the advancing weather. Wintry squalls, scudding shadows racing across the hillsides and the sun illuminating distant peaks, turquoise and aquamarine seas, and remote beach-side white-painted cottages. As players on the field, the commentators would have had fun describing our predicament. We were alternately exfoliated by horizontal hail driven on by the fast bowling wind, and then we would be scorched by the sun. Sir Geoffrey would have made some disparaging comment about it being “nowt like a proper wind in Yorkshire tha knows.” Benaud would have responded with an understated one-liner then observed how easily the deer were coping with the state of the pitch.

Durness-16.jpg
Swallowed up in the corrie below Carnstackie - "it's not as steep as it looks"

Durness-17.jpg
Cranstackie from bealach

Conversation was only slightly less eclectic than the previous day, but conditions occasionally focussed attention on the somewhat more immediate like, “is this really the right way down?” or “this isn’t clearing, shall we get moving?” But of course it did, five minutes after we’d left the top of Cranstackie, so we did go down the right way.

Durness-18.jpg
Precariously positioned summit cairn of Cranstackie

Durness-19.jpg
Fighting the wind to reach the stretching summit of Beinn Spionnaidh - Cranstackie and Foinaven behind

With the shelter and proper top at the far north-eastern end, Beinn Spionnaidh draws it out. Halfway along you look back and start to wonder, “is it really higher?” But you’re so far along it seems pointless not to carry on. Then you discover that even the triangulation point, hidden below the line of sight, needs a shelter.

Durness-20.jpg
Summit triangulation pillar of Beinn Spionnaidh hunkered down for protection

More wind, more hail, and a touch of rain at the very end accompanied the game to a conclusion.

Then, the test was over. The players began their journeys homeward and reporters drafted their dispatches. A solitary soul in the commentary box was left to broadcast the final summary.

Along with Benaud’s “beauties” and his “bobby-dazzlers,” I’d echo his own final TMS summary from 2005, “it’s time to say goodbye ... it’s been a privilege ... what’s even better it’s been a great deal of fun.”

Walkhighlands meets are like that: one long conversation with some hills thrown in.
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Re: Durness: Bens, Beaches and Bobby Dazzlers

Postby PeteR » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:26 pm

Marvellous report Nigel :clap: I hope my plodding didn't slow you down too much on Saturday and thanks again for the jump start on Sunday :thumbup:

I was in sombre mood as I set off on Friday morning to the sad news of the passing of another childhood hero, remembering the good old days of black and white TV, only three channels to choose from and having to put the box on at least 5 minutes before the test match coverage started so that it had time to warm up (assuming a valve didn't blow) :lol:

But good hills and a walkhighlands meet soon had my mood improved :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:18 pm

Excellent report Nigel, wonderful stuff, I'm going to read it again now :clap: :clap: :D Nice to meet up with you again, a great weekend, not to be missed. :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby kmai1961 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:55 pm

Great report, Nigel.

I especially like this sentence, which eloquently sums up the afternoon's conversations:

old danensian wrote:Ben Hope was accompanied by apostrophes and peanut allergies, Boxing Day Tests and circuits of Montrose beach, e-books and proper books, writers from Peter May to Harper Lee, 150mm pipes and the Glasgow underworld.

Lovely to meet you,
Karen
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:91   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:51   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Postby Sunny Speyside » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:51 pm

Nice report Nigel, disappointed I missed the conversation about the 150mm pipes though...I can only wonder!
Cheers :)
Sunny Speyside
Stravaiging

Munros:253   Corbetts:62
Fionas:34   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:17   

Postby tina bonar » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:44 pm

A great read Nigel, your commentary of the weekend's events was worthy of Benaud himself :clap:
Enjoyed our walk on Friday, stunning views and super company

Sunny Speyside wrote:Nice report Nigel, disappointed I missed the conversation about the 150mm pipes though...I can only wonder!
Cheers :)

Never talked so much effluent Evie, although others might argue!
tina bonar
Mountaineer

Munros:163   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:53 pm

Fabulous report Nigel :clap: :clap:
Like you I was shocked to read in the paper (when I got home) of the passing of Richie Benaud, amazing how you can incorporate cricket terms into a Walk Report - well done you :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Aqyzx » Tue May 05, 2015 1:39 pm

Fantastic read - even if all the cricketing analogies flew completely over my head!

Sad to see confirmation that the pillar on Ben Klibreck has been toppled. I'm hoping to make a pilgrimage up over the summer months and fully assess the damage for T:UK.
Aqyzx
Mountaineer

Munros:21   Corbetts:3
Fionas:9   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:41   
Islands:9

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland