walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich (didnt make Stuc a'Chroin)

Ben Vorlich (didnt make Stuc a'Chroin)

Postby donnycoll » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:07 am

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 13/04/2015

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 985m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Decided to go a walk pretty late on the monday morning, didnt leave glasgow until 10 am,
Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chorin were a set of hills i have been wanting to try.
Arrived at Loch Earn around 1145 and headed up over the little bridge, first right, past the farm buildings, and up over the first sets of hills through a couple of gates.
The walk is fairly easy going at the first part, although i can imagine it will get boggy at certain points of the year.
The walk has a good false summit, just when you think your nearly there another summit with the trig point appears in the background. This next p0art was probably the hardest part. Probably only like 200m ascent but with tired legs and a hangover it was tough :shock:
Approx 3/4 of the way up i bumped into a nice couple who were actually out hill walking to celebrate the ladies 70th BIRTHDAY!! Unfortunately her husband was feeling the brunt of the steeper sections so just wanted to rest for a while. So she accompanied me to the top as she did not feel too comfortable completing the walk to the top0 by herself. This made my walk worth while even just to accompany this lady to the top.
Our timing wasnt far off. as soon as we reached the trig point the weather started closing in, Strong gales and snow! this wasnt pleasant, so jumped from the trig point to the cairn and back down to meet back up with the ladies husband and there were smiles all round :D :D :D

No decent photos unfortunately but shows the snow conditions in the area,
There is one i have taken from the cairn and shows the lady making the trig point on her 70th which was a wake up call!!
One of Stuc a'Chroin which i was going to attempt but the weather closed in and looked a little intimidating with the conditions today!

IMG_3029.JPG

IMG_3031.JPG

IMG_3036.JPG

IMG_3045.JPG

IMG_3047.JPG

IMG_3054.JPG

IMG_3055.jpg

IMG_3056.jpg
donnycoll
Hill Bagger

Munros:81   Corbetts:2
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Ben Vorlich (didnt make Stuc a'Chroin)

Postby litljortindan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:24 am

Inspiring to meet someone summiting at that age in those conditions. I guess we're all supposed to be staying fitter longer, well fingers crossed...
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland