walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Evening Double - Tullich & Bhreac from Glen Douglas!!

An Evening Double - Tullich & Bhreac from Glen Douglas!!

Postby dooterbang » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:40 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Bhreac (Loch Lomond), Tullich Hill

Date walked: 16/04/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1000m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last Thursday I walked five of the Luss Grahams from Glen Fruin, a walk that was pretty tough but hugely enjoybale. Having previously walked the Glen Striddle Horseshoe from Luss it left the two Northern Grahams of Tullich Hill & Beinn Bhreac to complete the Luss eight.

The joys of lighter evenings meant I took advantage of a lie in and had an easy morning. I kept an eye on the forecast and with traffic in mind too I left Glasgow 2.30pm. The drive up Glen Douglas is wonderful, although eyes must be kept firmly on the very narrow single track road...I was thinking my next visit up here would be on my bicycle :)

There's a parking area you really can't miss, its 600m before the farm and a house. Depending on your route of choice you either head along the track and by the house aiming for Tullich Hill or from the car park head up left of the tree line if doing Beinn Bhreac first, or on its own...I headed for Tullich Hill.

Tullich Hill & the Cottage. An older couple were siting in the garden taking in the views & sunshine, exchanged a few words before setting on my way.

Pick a line and go for it - pathless ascent to Tullich

Looking back down the Glen, the cottage in view with Beinn Bhreac left of the wooded area...my finishing route.

Getting higher - nearly there! I was sweating big time at this point, it was a warm evening...

As you reach the summit the views across to the Arrochar Alps opens up, and what views - stunning! It was a very different viewing angle as usually I find myself in amongst the Alps.

Summit - looking NW to Arrochar

Summit - Looking South down Loch Long and to some of the Luss Grahams I did last week.

Changed my wet top, I'd do this again twice, and Sat here for 30 minutes...simply enjoying the peace, tranquility & stunning views. There was little wind, the sun was strong, there was no sign of other humans...this was bliss :)

Eventually got going and headed NE for the Graham top of Beinn Bhreac which was Ben Reoch. Some nice water features along the way...

Underfoot was wet & boggy, as it would be for the rest of the walk, but I wasn't caring much as had my sealskinz on & trail runners. So good to wander the hills not wearing big boots...unless its winter :wink:

Views to Arrochar.

Common Lizard...can't believe this was 8ft long :shock: :o :crazy: 8) :lol:

Ben Reoch ahead - there are metal posts to aid direction. Again pathless but good fun.

Views to Arrochar from down in the glen.

As I get higher the views start to open up - Loch Long with Ben Arthur & Beinn Narnain towering above it.

Loch Lomond now coming into view...

With such wonderful views, and the sun keeping me warm, I was soon at the summit of Ben Reoch.

Views SE to my next target Beinn Bhreac which was 2km across the plateau. Took 5 minutes here then set off...

More water features!

The ridge to Bhreac...and a sheep!

Some deer looking my way inquisitively..."there's another one of them human creatures - strange lot them"!!

Views SW back to BR & The Alps.

North East - Ben Lomond, Loch Lomond & Crainlarich hills.

East - taking in all of Loch Lomond.

South to the Luss Grahams.

And me getting in the way....

Sat here for at least 30 minutes soaking it all in. Probably the best views I've seen of Loch lomond. The photos here have been cropped for the forum and look much better in full (and fullscreen), especially the pano ones. Can be viewed here...
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.945873958766187.1073741908.100000307757280&type=1&l=cd3974b6fc

There was a couple of great spots here for a summit camp...I quickly text my mate Woodsy to inform him :shock:

Didn't really want to leave this spot but time was catching up so headed SW to pick up the tree line...

Nice views of the setting sun whilst desecnding from BB

Got back to the car at 8.30pm, very happy indeed :D

This is a belter of a walk, be even better once dry underfoot but don't let that put you off, and one which I'll do again. Twice in the last week I've done walks just 45 minutes drive from Glasgow, and near Loch lomond, but they've been very peaceful and could be anywhere really.

I'm now looking at a route to tackle the 8 Grahams in one day...great training for compleating these munros :wink:
Last edited by dooterbang on Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: An Evening Double - Tullich & Bhreac from Glen Douglas!!

Postby Collaciotach » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:56 pm

Nice one :clap: :clap: :clap:

Grahams or Corbetts for me this weekend ..after I plant my tatties :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby PeteR » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:45 am

Enjoyed that Paul :clap:

The Grahams round this area had been on my winter hit list, but sadly I didn't get the chance to get to them. They do look good though and I quite like the idea of an evening walk, especially in weather like you had. Cheers
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby jimandandrea » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:57 am

What a cracking day out. Loved that - your photos (as ever) were absolutely spot on and great report.
Would never have thought of that route - so thanks.
Cheers. :clap: :clap:
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby rockhopper » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:45 pm

dooterbang wrote:I'm now looking at a route to tackle the 8 Grahams in one day...great training for compleating these munros :wink:
:shock: :shock: reckon you must be off your rocker :wink: :wink: :lol:

Superb dooters - you don't get weather conditions as good as this that often and you've captured the views excellently :thumbup: Still to get to these two - must leave them for a good day methinks - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland