walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Singleton speed dating 1: Ben Chonzie

Singleton speed dating 1: Ben Chonzie

Postby 2manyYorkies » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:39 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 13/04/2015

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 12.9 km

Ascent: 750m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

That was the winter of my discontent, three weeks off work with pneumonia (physician heal thyself... :lol: :lol: ), and all traces of fitness erased from my finely honed physique... :lol: :lol: ; all put paid to any fun in the snow, but a few days off in April gave me the opportunity to see just how crumbly I'd become.
A month ago I still felt wiped out and reckoned some gentle low level walking was going to be the road to recovery, but as April loomed the old juices started to flow again and I decided on a cunning plan to do one Munro a day, but they had to be fairly straightforward as I'd no idea how rubbish I was going to feel. So, it was to be a few days of speed dating isolated one-off Munros, and I was to be based in Crianlarich I started with Ben Chonzie, a stop off on the way up from Yorkshire. The view from the parking spot, walk goes to the right of the houses (fab black labrador in residence).
The drive up Glen Lednock (predictive text said "Redneck" for that!) was beautiful and the walk very straightforward, for the main part being on an enormous 4x4 track.
The best views were behind to Vorlich and Lawers group, and as they gradually became enveloped in cloud it gave me a marker as to when to expect the rain.

Eventually a cairn marks the turn off the track and the short hop up a muddy path until the fence posts are reached which take you to the summit via a sharp right turn.

The day was essentially gloomy with highish cloud initially, but dry until the summit plateau was reached. The
summit itself was the least summity of those I'd been on :? and I had no more than 30 seconds before all was enveloped in cloud, snow and then rain came in for the entirety of the descent.

Saw two mountain hares, one back to grey, and one half and half. Quick little buggers as well.
Back to the car and off to accommodation at Ewich, and tea at the Real Food Cafe. I was pleased that I'd found it fine, and still had a couple of working lungs. Ben Chonzie may be very easy as Munros go, but it was ideal for me to calibrate my fitness, and some aerobic work in, but tomorrow would be a sterner test...
PS Stick with it, days 3 & 4 have much better photos!! :D :D
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Re: Singleton speed dating 1: Ben Chonzie

Postby peter tindal » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:24 pm

Well done :clap:

Ben chonzie gets bad press in many a book or website. I think is great hill to get your hill fitness back after a lay off or as an introduction to hill walking hill. I have had four different groups of students up Chonzie and I think it is perfect for novices.
peter tindal
Mountain Walker

Munros:231   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:2   Islands:10

Postby CarltheViking » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:24 pm

I plan to climb Ben Chonzie tomorrow - which will be my fourth consecutive bagging day. The Scots have it easy - so many hills on their doorstep.
CarltheViking
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:17
Fionas:16   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:165
Wainwrights:214   Islands:22

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:57 pm

Oh... never underestimate the easy ones - you were obviously paying attention and got off the hills sensibly - when we did this years ago we were so busy talking as we wandered across the easy terrain we made a complete a**e of the route back, ending up wading across a river which we should never have had to cross :roll: :lol:

Smashing photos :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby baily » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:27 pm

nicelly
baily
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland