walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgor Gaoith via Mullach Clach a'Bhlair

Sgor Gaoith via Mullach Clach a'Bhlair

Postby teaandpies » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:23 am

Munros included on this walk: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir, Sgòr Gaoith

Date walked: 03/09/2014

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 1118m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As a novice hill walker/hill bagger I have chosen the hills I've walked carefully. I think it's important for me to do more than just bag hills because if that was the case I'd just befriend a seasoned hill walker and tag along without really learning anything and tick off the list.

On this very website the description of Mullach Clach a'Bhlair as a hill with an insignificant summit and this may be true but the hill isn't insignificant if you are learning to map read, use a compass or improving your fitness. I say to anyone looking to get started but are unsure of how you would get or what hill walking involves and the sheer scale of mountains I think this may be a great walk for you.

The hardest part of this walk is finding your way into Glenfeshie, you need to take the B 970 and then find the turn off to Glenfeshie lodge. It's a nice drive down a single track road which is very well kept. Keep driving until you see a sign telling you that you are at the last bridge that crosses the river, if you reach the lodge you've gone to far.

Below is a picture taken from the bridge.

1 (690x388).jpg
View from footbridge

Follow the path that's on the ridge in the middle ground up the River Feshie to the woods you see in the background, there are some bits of the path that have been effected by erosion by the river so be careful at the edges and you will have a small stream to jump just as you enter the woods. The time of year and weather conditions will effect the volume of water in that stream of course. I liked this first part of the walk, it's good for getting the blood going before starting the actual climb.
Once you have exited the woods pretty much opposite the Lodge there will be an obvious Land Rover track on your left just follow it up, you can see it stretching of up the hill. It's not that steep and you will have a great photo opportunity about half way up.

2 (690x388).jpg
Looking back down the track with views of Carn Dearg Mor

4 (690x388).jpg
Looking back down the track with views of Meall nan Sceac

3 (690x388).jpg
Looking up the track

5 (690x388).jpg
Coire Garbhlach

Once on the plateau the road forks left/right go right until you see a tiny half hearted cairn which lets you know to leave the road, it's just a quick jaunt up to the summit cairn. From here you have nice views looking West back across Glenfeshie towards the Monadhliath Mountains and East across to some of the other Munros in the Cairngorms.

Once you have done what you needed to do on the summit just head back down towards the road and on to your next Munro Sgor Gaoith. You can't miss this hill, just aim for the distinctive peak away in the background.

6 (690x388).jpg
Summit to Summit shot

7 (690x388).jpg
Sgor Gaoith peak

Take the fork going left, you can take this road for a short distance however don't go to far down it or you'll have to walk back up the hill again. I would say after a spell of good weather it maybe fine to leave the path at the fork and cut straight across the plateau but it's boggy where the water all funnels gully to form the Allt Garbhlach burn, the stream you jumped at the start of the woodland walk remember? If you chose to walk the edge of the coire for the views you can bag a couple of tops on your way to Sgor Gaoith, consult your OS maps.

WP_20150417_23_23_52_Pro (690x388).jpg
OS map with Munros (red) & Corbetts (green) marked.

Once you get closer to your next milestone you'll realise that this hill is pretty special and has some fantastic views of Loch Eanaich and Braeiach. Once at the summit just be careful at the edge because it's a long way down!

8 (690x388).jpg
Loch Eanaich

9 (690x388).jpg
Looking across to Braeriach

11 (690x388).jpg
Looking down from the top. Do you like hights?

10 (690x388).jpg
Looking towards Kingussie. Loch Insh sneaking in there I think.

Once you've done your business if you double back the way you just walked you should pick up a path that goes over Carn Ban Mor and this will take you off the plateau and back into Glenfeshie. It's a well built path, one of the newer narrower paths which the Cairngorms are creating to lesson the scars on the landscape. Follow the path down and through the woods and you will come to the river eventually, just go left and follow this path all the way back to the bridge. Simple.

(Walked with my father)
Last edited by teaandpies on Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Re: Sgor Gaoith via Mullach Clach a'Bhlair

Postby gaffr » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:48 am

Hello,
You either have special access rights to the estate road into Feshie Lodge or you have perhaps been very lucky....gate at Tolvah left open etc. :lol: I guess most folks would be concerned that there could be a possibility of the gate being locked behind you when driving to the Landrover bridge. Mere mortal visitors, like I am, have to leave motors at the forest track end near to Tolvah holiday house. :)
The Feshie hills are very local to me it that I can look out from my windows and see the current state of cloud cover etc. :) My favourite way onto Mullach Clach a' Bhlair is from the track which leads up to Lochan nam Bo then onto the higher ground.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby teaandpies » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:26 pm

gaffr wrote:Hello,
You either have special access rights to the estate road into Feshie Lodge or you have perhaps been very lucky....gate at Tolvah left open etc. :lol: I guess most folks would be concerned that there could be a possibility of the gate being locked behind you when driving to the Landrover bridge. Mere mortal visitors, like I am, have to leave motors at the forest track end near to Tolvah holiday house. :)
The Feshie hills are very local to me it that I can look out from my windows and see the current state of cloud cover etc. :) My favourite way onto Mullach Clach a' Bhlair is from the track which leads up to Lochan nam Bo then onto the higher ground.

Hi gaffr

That's interesting because I've driven down the road a number of times, never been challenged and the gate has never been closed. We even encountered estate staff going up the hill in their Land Rover and on the top where they were driving about in an Argo. I don't think they can stop you from accessing the land.

We parked a good distance from the lodge it's self, at the green bridge. There's a sign telling you this is the last crossing...

glen-feshie-glen-tromie-apr-11-218.jpg

Now unless there is a bridge I don't know about the bigger bridge closer to the lodge was destroyed by melt waters ages ago. Tolvah is a good distance back. There is also a parking area near Auchlean if I'm not mistaken?

To be fair I'm from Grantown on Spey and my father and I have done a ton of Grouse beating, Pheasant beating and heather burning around the area so I guess if we had been challenged we could probably drop a few names :lol:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby gaffr » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:02 am

Hello,
Yes, no problem with access to the land but the road from the bridge near to Tolvah is a private road. When I first came to the area the gate was at the bridge but it has been moved another two times the current position....probably because the junction with the forest road end gives more possibilities for parking....I think that I do recall a further gate at Stronetoper which is no longer in position?
The bridge between the estate staff houses/ garages etc. and the 'big house' has not been replaced and perhaps never will be. The estate folks use a ford close to the dwellings and another at 851907 (roughly) to reach the other side of the Feshie so I guess that the bridge is not needed and of course as your image shows that there is an alternative way for walkers across the river followed by a path/track to reach RA etc.
Most folks use the parking near to Auchlean to get to the hills East of the Feshie but the quieter estate side of the river is perfect for access by cycle.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland