walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A steamy affair!

A steamy affair!

Postby jonny616 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:54 pm

Route description: Ciste Dhubh and Am Bathach, Cluanie

Munros included on this walk: Ciste Dhubh

Corbetts included on this walk: Am Bathach

Date walked: 29/03/2015

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 984m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm a bit late writing this and i'm sure most of the snow will be away now.

Time again to head for the hills. Much FB chat, as always as to ho was in or out. The line up changed several times and for the first time since November i would be walking with The Quoman (the bunny ears are calling). Final line up Gammy, PollyH, Spiderwebb, MountainTyme, Cesar, Quoman and Matt not to mention two dogs.
At the start point and for the off at 09:30, late for us, well me, the others are all lazy. A bit of debate as to which side we would drop off Ciste Dhubh either option would be boggy as shite so we decided not to decide until later. Much more snow around than the previous month and the weather much better than advertised, but it is well documented that Gammy and I are just a couple of sun magnets :crazy: :clap: :lol: 8)
DSC00804.jpg
Not a bad looking day
DSC00806.jpg
target above Gammys head.

Took the straight up approach onto the ridge to Am Bathach with much banter on the way and a few photo stops. Kintail looking good all around.
DSC00807.jpg
DSC00810.jpg
Squad photo minus MT
DSC00811.jpg
DSC00813.jpg
DSC00815.jpg
From the summit of Am bathach those of us who had not been up it before had a WTF moment at the drop and distance to the Munro. :crazy:
DSC00821.jpg
Summit of AB
DSC00824.jpg
WTF

It was around this point or just before that normal service was resumed and i disappeared down a whole. The snow covering but not freezing the previously mentioned boggy shite :lol:

The decent of Am Bathach was a laugh as various people had a go at glissading before i got my big orange bag out and showed them how it was done :clap: My best time from last year of 42.8KPH is still unbeaten 8)

Slowish ascent of a steep snow field and then the fun of the sharp edge ridge with a big drop one side and a steep drop on the other a bit hairy in the snow.
DSC00826.jpg
snow field ascent
DSC00828.jpg
DSC00831.jpg
Gammy on the ridge with his own personal clag he carries about
DSC00834.jpg
DSC00835.jpg
DSC00840.jpg
Summit CD

Summit photos and fuel intake before the which way down debate started. MT was for carrying on the ridge and then dropping down into the glen on the right (from facing cairn on ascent) looked a bit ooh err steep thought Dave. MT "I think it will be ok Dave. I'll wait here to signal to the others while you descend a bit and check it out" Genius! Dave ever the gent set off. Steep but ok so we all followed most deciding that glissading was the fastest way down which was top fun again.
DSC00841.jpg
Glissade tracks
Once down it was a simple plod back to the cars.

Top day of banter and fun with a pair of good hills thrown in.

Tea in the Clachaig was its usual mix of good food and shite service.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Re: A steamy affair!

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:20 pm

Great day as always mate.

Strange name for your TR :o
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:57 pm

Well done Jonny- another ace report, loved it! :clap: :clap:

Can't wait for our next adventure, its gonna be a stoater!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

PS I know you and Gammy are magnets but mibbe not with the word 'sun' before it :lol: :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby rockhopper » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:34 pm

jonny616 wrote:.....but it is well documented that Gammy and I are just a couple of sun magnets :crazy: ...
:eh: :eh: :problem: :problem: :wtf: :wtf: :silent: :silent: :think: :think: :lol: :lol:

Enjoyed that - a bit challenging but looked like you all had a good day :thumbup: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:19 pm

Nice report Jonny, had a great day with yous all :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby mountain thyme » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:46 pm

Quote [ MT "I think it will be ok Dave. I'll wait here to signal to the others while you descend a bit and check it out" Genius! Dave ever the gent set off. ]

Age first and all that :wink:

Nice one Jonny. A great day out :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:02 pm

mountain thyme wrote:Quote [ MT "I think it will be ok Dave. I'll wait here to signal to the others while you descend a bit and check it out" Genius! Dave ever the gent set off. ]

Age first and all that :wink:

Nice one Jonny. A great day out :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Nicely done MT, fall for it every time, but it was my pleasure :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland