walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beag Fore Mor Golf

Beag Fore Mor Golf

Postby scottishkennyg » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:22 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Cùl Beag, Cùl Mòr

Date walked: 20/04/2015

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I started this Saturday with a decent drive at the first hole at 1028 and managed a steady par. Playing from the back tees as a two ball it was not long before we caught the three ball ahead and then our patience game started. Of course my shots began to get more erratic and I was two down after four. Crossing the road after a half at the par three we got an invite through. Promising, then we met the tail end of the ladies medal. Play slowed creating lots of time to lose interest, then the mind began to ask the question, why waste a good day. So I apologised and bailed out at the ninth to head for the hills which I felt would be more enjoyable than watching good weather go to waste.
I chose to head NW to Cul Mor just beyond Ullapool as the west seemed best. Beyond the Fannichs there was clear blue skies and minor fluffy clouds vindicating the choice of route. (click photos to enlarge)
ImageCul Mor and Cul Beag by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
Caught a glimpse up the glen to Stac Pollaidh
I arrived at the wee car park at 1400 and got suited and booted with a lighter summer back pack then off after a quick futile search for sun cream.The path was great and made for easy going over the gradual sloping terrain.
Nice early view across to Cul Beag

The route ahead
Caught a view over to the impressive Suilven.
I stopped to have a meet with a wee bunny who was enjoying the sunshine in between the stones.

Continuing on up to the large cairn at Meallan Diomhain I contemplated going clockwise west to north via Creag nan Calman.
I opted for the normal route anti clockwise route to avoid a wee drop. Then a big bird soared above the cliffs of the Coire Gorm, it was probably the only eagle I would get close to today. I managed to snap a shot but it looked more like a wee midgie on an azure blue delph tile. The bird glided away toward Suilven, and I reckoned the wee bunny was safe for now.
Another impressive view of Suilven emerged.

A wee steep climb up the NE ridge led to some boulders where I put the poles away to safe guard them from damage. It was far easier to scramble over the rocks with both hands free.
A view up to summit with one person just visible at cairn.
A view out west

I reached the summit ridge to see a decent cairn with trig point inset and met a lady and daughter.

The views were superb in all directions.

Down the west side
Another impressive view down to Suilven.
A zoom over to Stac Pollaidh.

After a wee while I moved on toward Sron Gharbh and down to the bealach before a short pull up to the top of Creagan nan Calman. The wee cairn was perched above the rocky cliffs and provided a grandstand seat to survey the environment. Superb views of Stac Polliadh, the surrounding lochs, the summer isles and Assynt.
Down to Stac Pollaidh
I took many photographs then reluctantly moved on. I went down the NE ridge and contemplated heading over to Cul Beag. I reached an obvious path leading in that direction, I checked the map and could see the large descent I would be donating, so I chose to head back to car. I made a direct line to the road and eventually merged with the wee path. Another walker on holiday caught up with me and we chatted as we walked. Back at the car just after 1700 and I considered heading for a Fish supper at Ullapool or driving round to Cul Beag. Tails won so I headed round to Linneraineach and found a quite passing place to park just opposite the start of the stalkers path.

A view from roadside toward Stac Pollaidh.

I decided to travel ultralight and dumped the non-essential gear then set off up the track about 1800.
Another view toward SP from the edge of the small woods.

Higher up I found a cairn which I assumed marked the point to head for Cul Beag. Alas I could not find any obvious track so it was just a case of moving on and gaining height gradually. The terrain steepened and after some effort I reached a wee cairn at 141092. I could not find any water and I was thirsty. The wet spongy moss looked promising but yielded nothing drinkable. I must have lost about a litre of sweat on the climb up. Anyway, at the next section there was an obvious eroded path that made for easier walking. Then the summit ridge was reached with a prominent wee cairn positioned above the rocks. It was about 1930 so I sat about for a good while firing shots planning to catch the later stages of the sun set.

A view over to Cul Mor as the sun rays cast highlighting shadows.

I was really hoping to catch the sun as it sat on top of Stac Polliadh like a golden ball on the tee. Alas it did not get directly on top of it and I would have probably missed the shot.

Going..
Going..
Gone !

The wind chill was getting up so I set off about 2000 for a rapid descent and a futile attempt to catch the Chipper. At one point one of the new leki poles stayed behind me and the lower section lifted right out, momentum ensued and a wee plastic ferule snapped. A small profanity was uttered and then I found a water hazard. Bonus, it was running water so I was able to get some relief by washing my salt crusted countenance and quench the thirst.
I used the other pole to tri leg it back to the car about 2100. I snapped some more shots of the sun setting from the road side then I got the foot down to Ullapool.

Then I arrived at Ullapool to find the infamous chipper was closed. So it was down to a warm roll and ham, crisps and a crunchie for dinner.
The roads were quiet and I was able to get back home safely in plenty of time for a couple of pints of refreshing Guinness.
Nice way to spend a Saturday. Plenty of time for golf another day.
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Re: Beag Fore Mor Golf

Postby kev_russ » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:36 pm

Bootiful pics :clap:
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby mamoset » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:00 pm

Awesome, great pics, definitely a major win there :wink:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby rockhopper » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:55 pm

Being a golf widower, I can fully understand why you wanted to get away from the golf. :wink: Good job too - cracking day for these hills :thumbup: - cheers
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby malky_c » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:37 pm

A good walk saved :wink: .

Missed the chippy in Ullapool before - annoying but worth it for a sunset like that. And the day beforehand looked pretty good too :D . I intend to do these as a single walk at some point.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:04 pm

Beautiful. I love the views over the hills and Lochs Sionasgaig/Lurgainn etc.

Impressed that anybody could get down to the car then re-motivate themselves to start again!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby scottishkennyg » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:49 pm

kev_russ wrote:Bootiful pics :clap:

Thanks Kev. Cheers
scottishkennyg

Postby scottishkennyg » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:50 pm

mamoset wrote:Awesome, great pics, definitely a major win there :wink:

Nice links mamoset..Cheers
scottishkennyg

Postby scottishkennyg » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:53 pm

rockhopper wrote:Being a golf widower, I can fully understand why you wanted to get away from the golf. :wink: Good job too - cracking day for these hills :thumbup: - cheers

Thanks Neil, No doubt I'll be back hacking the fairways soon enough too. Cheers
scottishkennyg

Postby scottishkennyg » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:54 pm

malky_c wrote:A good walk saved :wink: .

Missed the chippy in Ullapool before - annoying but worth it for a sunset like that. And the day beforehand looked pretty good too :D . I intend to do these as a single walk at some point.

Thanks Malky, Hope you get a cracking day too..and catch the chipper..
scottishkennyg

Postby scottishkennyg » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:56 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Beautiful. I love the views over the hills and Lochs Sionasgaig/Lurgainn etc.

Impressed that anybody could get down to the car then re-motivate themselves to start again!

Thanks MG, it was such a cracking evening it was well worth the effort as I was lucky with the views..Cheers
scottishkennyg

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland