walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Up a gear in Glenshee

Up a gear in Glenshee

Postby fingeez » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:42 pm

Route description: Glas Maol Munros circuit, Cairnwell Pass

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol

Date walked: 10/04/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1065m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well decieded on a longer walk this time. So was up at the crack of dawn :shock: well around 6am and got myself fed and all packed up and was in the car by 7. Drove up and was in the parking area around 8 and was off after dumping my mountain bike at the first car parking area before you get the the ski centre.

Made my way along the road and down on the track then over the bridge and had myself pointed directly at Carn An Tuirc, made pretty good time along here stopping to take my fleece off and finding a crossing place for the burn as i didnt fancy wet feet quite yet.

100_0273.jpg
Target dead ahead

Headed on up the steepening slopes avoiding the snow patches and picking my way around. I ended up coming onto the summit from the south side rather than the north as the description shows for this walk, but looked alot easier than going through the snow :)

100_0277.jpg
Back down to the road from the top

100_0278.jpg
Hmm wheres another handy walker when you need them!!

Made it too the top in 1hour 30 mins, and stopped for a quick cuppa while spying my next summit of the day.

100_0280.jpg
Next target Cairn of Claise

Headed on down to the bealach and started the easy slope upto Cairn of Claise, couldnt see the stone wall dyke though until i was at the top, guess it was covered in snow. Walk up wasnt too bad altho a little strenght sapping as there was lots of snow at this point. Stopped for some lunch at the top. Cloud started coming down and almost obscured my previous summit, but it was just toying with me and was gone within minutes!!! I decided to leave Tolmount and Tom Buidhe for another time not fully knowing how long it would take me, although it turned out i would have had plenty time.

100_0286.jpg
Summit cairn on Cairn of Claise

Headed on towards Glas Maol with the snow lifts spoiling my views abit, while avoiding hidden streams under the snow, not really very much going on during this section, but we get there and meet the first person of the day who's just came from Creag Leacach and heading back that way too.

100_0301.jpg
Summit of Glas Maol

I stop for another cuppa in the snow filled shelter and he heads off. I dont hang around long and soon follow and make my way towards Creag Leacach which is a more interesting section, although the small shelter thats in the description seems to have been dismantled and turned into a cairn. Creag Leacach looms ahead although not very high from this point lol.

100_0315.jpg
Creag Leacach

100_0319.jpg
I see you!!

Climb up amongst the rocks and get to the summit and chat for a while with the other walker, take a few pics and head on.

100_0322.jpg
Summit of Creag Leacach

Made my way down to the bealach then down towards the stream, not big challenege there, forgetting what i had read i stayed on this side of the stream and followed it along back towards the road, eventually realising the small footbridge is really not a bridge at all anymore, its more like 2 logs with 3 slats left on it!!! Oh well nothing for it, so i plunge in and wade through the water upto my knees, ok no chance of staying dry now lol

I stop in the car park and retrieve my bike and get ready to go, looking at the uphill struggle ahead i suddenly doubted my wisdom in the bike and wished id read Montys report of this section and paid proper attention!!!! As he said this is total hell and the thought of throwing the bike over the barrier and off the cliff is in my mind constantly. I think i managed to cycle about 10 metres before my leg got a mind of its own bent backwards at the knee and kicked me in the face for being a **** and demanded that i get my butt off the bike and push it up the hill. I also wished id taken the offer of a lift from the gent i met up on Glas Maol and Creag leacach back to the other car park, which i had kindly refused wanting to do the whole circuit with my own leg power. Anyhoo i make it to the top about 40 leg killing minutes later and jump for joy on the bike and freewheel all the way back to the car park :)

all in all a good walk indeed but id leave the bike next time and hitch haha
Attachments
100_0279.jpg
Summit Cairns
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Munros:115   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:11

Re: Up a gear in Glenshee

Postby kevsbald » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:56 pm

Another 3 in the bag, Fingeez.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby fingeez » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:09 pm

haha another 4 kevsbald :D
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Postby DonnyW » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:45 pm

fingeez wrote:haha another 4 kevsbald :D

Hey woooooahh down fingeez ... remember its about the journey and not the destination :D

If that dont make sense then remember the story about the young bull and the old bull ?

They were standing at the top of a hill looking down at a heard of dairy cows, when the young bull said ...
"Lets run down there and make it with a couple of those cows"
The old bull smiled and said ...
Nope... lets walk down and make it with the lot of them 8)

Hmmm I better be off before I get in trouble :lol:
DonnyW

Postby fingeez » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:14 pm

Hey DonnyW

haha yeah i know, was just messin with kevsbald :D
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Postby monty » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:30 am

Nice one Ross. Another 4 to your ever growing tally. Glad you took my advice and took your bike :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pushing that bike up the hill after doing the six munros was hell. :D

Anyway, I say lets run doon the hill, give all them lovely cows a seeing to, play a quick game of footy then drink 10 pints :lol: :lol: :lol:

And Kev, pit yur glesses on, theres four munros :D
monty

Postby kevsbald » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:58 am

Oops - I just presumed he'd done the Cairnwell 3. :?
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby fingeez » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:53 pm

Yup getting there lol. haha i wasnt glad, thought i must have been mental.

hmmm not sure about going back up the hill after having all the cows, playing football and having 10 pints!! Could be a long climb!!
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Postby Milesy » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:04 pm

Jessops Micro Tripod - I use this all the time in the hills. Even with other people I can only trust myself to get the shot I want :lol:

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/76393/show.html
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby fingeez » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:21 pm

haha very good point Milesy, looks like a good idea and only a tenner and light too :)
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland