walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Breac & Beinn a'Chaorainn, the race against time!

Beinn Breac & Beinn a'Chaorainn, the race against time!

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:22 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chaorainn & Beinn Bhreac

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Cairngorms), Beinn Bhreac

Date walked: 18/04/2015

Time taken: 6.2 hours

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 1032m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After doing a couple of small hills to start the weekend off, today, Saturday was always forecast to be the best weather. With the club staying at the excellent Muir Cottage situated between Braemar and the Linn of Dee the choice was to head off in the Derry Lodge direction to pick off a couple of less well known Munros, Beinn Bhreac and Beinn a'Chaorainn. When looking at the OS map apart from Ben Macdui to Cairngorm, and maybe Beinn a burd to Ben Avon, this walk is probably the longest distance between munros in Scotland, unless anyone can come up with some others.
It's nearly 20 years since I have set foot on these two and in that time distances have become a bit blurred, so when a guy from another club who also had booked into Muir Cottage asked 'How long do you think it will take you? I replied about six hours quite confidently. After a time and another look at the OS map I told my walking partner, maybe I'd been to hasty and maybe seven hours was more likely as the Munro book states 8-10 hours, and Cameron McNeish's book suggests 7-10hrs and Walkhighlands 8-10hrs
3.JPG
After passing the Derry Lodge at the rear and following the Derry Burn on the East side on a good path at grid reference point 045949 this small cairn of stones marks where you leave the well worn path to head on up the hillside on the West flanks of Meall an Lundain

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

2.JPG
After leaving the Linn of Dee car park we took the path from the NW corner of the park through the trees until we met up with the main track heading for Derry Lodge. This photograph taken after we had crossed the bridge over the Lui Water up Glen Lui
2a.JPG
The still boarded up Derry Lodge, it's a great pity the estate cannot think of some useful purpose for this historic building. In my estimate for 6 hours I had allowed one hour to Derry Lodge, wow 10mins saved already
4.JPG
Climbing steadily up wet in places but nothing too boggy in fact quite an easy gradient
5.JPG
Looking back down the path through the heather
6.JPG
Summit cairn of Beinn Bhreac in the distance, it was at this point we saw another walker further down the path, but we never saw him again. Time to cairn 2h 15mins. Still on time for the six hours
7.JPG
Heading for the summit of Beinn a'Chaorainn on the SE shoulder on the right of the snowfield we were attempting to come down after reaching the summit. It was the area of the Moine Bhealaidh which was to be our undoing, just the vastness of the peat hag area added probably another 15mins or so over the time we had allowed
8.JPG
Summit cairn of Beinn a'Chaorainn. Three hours twenty five mins to the summit. Having had little or no breaks we decided this was where to have a bite to eat and a cuppa with a break of 15mins
9.JPG
Ben Macdui in the distance from the summit cairn
10.JPG
Summit cairn on Beinn a'Chaorainn
11.JPG
Edging down the snow field on the South flank of Beinn a'Chaorainn
12.JPG
Nearly at the Glen Derry path on the West shoulder of Beinn a'Chaorainn
13.JPG
Looking back up to Beinn a'Chaorainn from the path
14.JPG
Looking down Glen Derry at the point we join the path from the hill
15.JPG
The river crossing at Glas Allt Mor, looking towards the Hutchison Memorial Hut
16.JPG
Looking back up Glen Derry
17.JPG
Hanging on for dear life
18.JPG
Serious erosion after the snow melt and winter rains on the path at the back of Derry Lodge. We reached the lodge knowing the six hour mark was beyond us so another 5min break before the final push to the car
19.JPG
One last view up Glen Lui
1.JPG
Female Capercaillie on the roof a car in Linn of Dee car park. Not counting the couple of rest breaks 6hrs 12mins and look who came to greet us in the car park
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Beinn Breac & Beinn a'Chaorainn, the race against time!

Postby dogplodder » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:34 pm

Excellent time and even better to get the capercaillie! :clap: :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby simon-b » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:53 pm

A nice day to be up on those two, Rod. It's a great view from the summit of Beinn a'Chaorainn.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:02 pm

Bloody heck. You must have ran those two. I was a lot longer even with cycling in and out :(
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:06 am

dogplodder wrote:Excellent time and even better to get the capercaillie! :clap: :D

I had forgotten how good and vast the Cairngorms were, a great day with a wee bonus in the car park awaiting us :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:08 am

simon-b wrote:A nice day to be up on those two, Rod. It's a great view from the summit of Beinn a'Chaorainn.

Your right simon-b, it cannot get much better than that, although I have been saying that for a few weeks now :wink: Long may it last.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:10 am

mountain thyme wrote:Bloody heck. You must have ran those two. I was a lot longer even with cycling in and out :(

Honest MT no running involved, fast walking though even through the peat hags :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby basscadet » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:21 am

Wow, that capercaillie shot is amazing.. :shock: :clap:

I have only ever seen one, and it scared me half to death - you know how grouse stay hidden until the last minute, then fly off when you are right next to them? :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:54 pm

basscadet wrote:Wow, that capercaillie shot is amazing.. :shock: :clap:

I have only ever seen one, and it scared me half to death - you know how grouse stay hidden until the last minute, then fly off when you are right next to them? :lol:

Hi basscadet well this one did not appear to be too perturbed at all with my presence, in fact it hangs about the car park a lot just now, there are even notices up, nip up and see for yourself, very worthwhile, of course add a wee hill in as well :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby teaandpies » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:01 pm

Beinn a'Chaorainn is my favourite hill to date.

I grew up and live in the Cairngorms for over 22 years and I have never seen a Capercaillie in the wild...I did see one in a Zoo in Paris of all places :?

Looks like you got a great day for it :clap:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:18 pm

teaandpies wrote:Beinn a'Chaorainn is my favourite hill to date.

I grew up and live in the Cairngorms for over 22 years and I have never seen a Capercaillie in the wild...I did see one in a Zoo in Paris of all places :?

Looks like you got a great day for it :clap:

Hi teaandpies, if you want to see one head up ASAP, it frequents the Linn of Dee car park just now, i went back the next day and saw it again. Your right, a great day, hopefully lots more coming :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:30 pm

[quote="...with a wee bonus in the car park awaiting us :D[/quote]

Wow, some bonus indeed after such a fantastic day!! That's really what I would call "icing on the cake".
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:59 am

Alteknacker wrote:[quote="...with a wee bonus in the car park awaiting us :D

Wow, some bonus indeed after such a fantastic day!! That's really what I would call "icing on the cake".[/quote]

Hi there Alteknacker, had there been a male one as well, now that would have been something :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Beaner001 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:08 am

Lovely pic of the Caper Rod, to think they have become so rare these days too. My Grandpa used to get invites to go on Caper shoots when I was wee, he never went I haste to add!! I came across a male Caper in the forests beside Boat of Garten when I was wee and sh*t myself at the size of it, when I told my Gran she was like och we see them all the time. I've never seen another though :(
Some walk that one :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:08 pm

Fantastic time for those two and some great photos! Lol female Capercaillie who just did a jobby on your car :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland