walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Quoich Munros- love at first sight

Loch Quoich Munros- love at first sight

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:42 am

Route description: Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach

Munros included on this walk: Gleouraich, Spidean Mialach

Date walked: 18/04/2015

Time taken: 5.45 hours

17 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A 4 hour car journey had passed when I turned another corner on the small single track road leading towards Loch Quoich. The view ahead of me let me slam on my brakes and my car came to an abrupt stop. WOW!!!!!!!!
I grabbed my camera and leaving the car, I could not believe that so far I have not known about the beautiful area of Loch Quoich. It was picture perfect, the loch mirror like reflected the mountains of Knoydart and yellow gorse and a few young trees perfected the view ahead of me. It was love at first sight.

Who will not fall in love with this view!

Getting back into my car I continued and could not take my eyes off the view. By the time I had reached the car park I found an empty lay-by a few hundred yards away and saw a perfect camp stop. I stopped for more photos and slowly got ready to climb Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach.

One again because its so beautiful

The path indicated my a pole lead into a massive Rhododendron bush. It looked more a place you nip into for a pee, 8) than the start of a walk, but once out of the bushes a perfect path lead zig zagged up the hill. With no breeze, blue skies and only a few very pretty clouds in the sky it was certainly one of the best days I have been out for walk. The view added to the the magic day and I literally had to stop myself from taking pictures. The path climbed higher and higher and soon the Munro Sgurr a'Mhaoraich across the valley into view. A few large snow patches were left on the southern slopes, but all in all it felt like summer.

The start of the path

Looking back

The road below

Me full of smiles, next to the great path

Sgurr a'Mhaoraich which will be saved for another great day

The bridge close up

By the time I had reached Druim Seileach the South Glen Shiel ridge was looming high ahead of me and it looks just as spectacular from the south side than it does from Glen Shiel, if not even better. 2 hours into the walk I reached the summit cairn of Gleouraich and sat down for lunch.
Looking ahead the ridge looked pretty easy, wishful thinking which I realised soon after.

The south Glen Shield ridge from the south

A shelter (grouse butt?) on the way up

The first Munro of the day-Gleouraich

Gleouraichs cairn

View towards the north-west

View towards Knoydart and Loch Quioch

The ridge ahead- looked pretty easy at the start

After a short downclimb from the first Munro it was back up towards Creag Coire na Fiar Bhealaich. Not lingering I strode on and soon was on a never ending downhill climb. It was in fact 'only' 300 meters, but it seemed a lot worse, as a set of barely healed blisters underneath my toes, started to bug me.
By the time I reached the bealach between the two Munros, Creag Coire na Fiar Bhealaich loomed high above and I was glad that I climbed the hill clockwise. The final climb towards Spidean Mialach was not to bad and was rewarded with spectacular views down the gullies.
The second Munro had a shelter build around its cairn and yet again amazing 360 views were there to be enjoyed. I am not sure how long I stayed, but also looking forward to set up my tent for the night (and have a well earned beer) I made my way down the hill.

Views from the ridge

Look up Creag Coire na Fiar Bhealaich, which never looks bad afterwards on photos

View towards the final Munro

Looking back

From the summit of Spidean Mialach towards the east

Sgurr na Ciche and the ocean in the distance

Towards the south

Me on the final summit

What can I say...the money must have been running out by the time the path up Gleouraich was build. The down hill climb was pretty horrendous and even in perfect weather can only be described as a vertical slope of bog. I guess its one of these down hill walks only enjoyable when covered in a thick layer of snow.
What followed after a pretty spectacular hill walk was an even more spectacular night camping under a starry night and endless hours of gazing towards the hills of Knoydart.

Half way down the mountain

Across the water towards Gairich

Just after sunset

View from my tent

During the next morning
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: Loch Quoich Munros- love at first sight

Postby PeteR » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:08 pm

These two are definitely on my "repeat" list. The day I had them was one of wind, rain and no views and as much as I really enjoyed the day I would like to go back on a similar day to yours and get the full benefit of the views (I recall the views from the next door neighbour were pretty good when I did that hill a couple of Easters ago :D)
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:14 pm

Nice report, looks like wonderful conditions. There is no view better than a stupendous one that's also reflected back upside down.

I remember the ascent being a really good stalker's track, can't remember the descent at all, think we just traversed round quite high before dropping down.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Beaner001 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:38 pm

I made an arse of reaching the summit of Spidean so had to go back to claim it on a different day which turned out much better than the first attempt :lol: Maybe it was a blessing in disguise.
Nice pics ML,
Cheers
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby 2manyYorkies » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:37 pm

Beautiful pictures, very inspiring, but I have to say I was a bit concerned about the temperature of your beer... did you manage to find a cool spot for it under the car? :wink:
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Postby Dexter terrier » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:42 pm

Awesome pictures, really enjoyed them.
Dexter terrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:2   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Jock McJock » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:13 pm

Love that place! Lucky you for getting such perfect weather to see it.
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Highart13 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:42 pm

Great photos, superb weather, an awe-inspiring spot and a wildcamp to boot :clap: :clap:
Highart13
Mountaineer

Postby Collaciotach » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:47 pm

Grand area and great pics :clap: :clap: s math a rinn thu :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:16 pm

Many thanks all...to answer the question about the beer...even though warm beer does not go down well in any other situation, while camping it some how does not really bother me. It always remind me about Kenya where (when I went into a local bar) I was asked (seriously) if I wanted a warm or cold beer...supposingly warm beer is preferred by the locals :shock:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby rockhopper » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:05 pm

superb - hard to beat a trip down here, esp on days like this :thumbup: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby 2manyYorkies » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:59 pm

I guess after a hard walk like that any sort of beer is a GOOD beer.
For what it's worth I particularly like the Schiehallion lager in the Real food Cafe, I don't think I've ever not ordered one when in there! :D
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:50 pm

Dexter terrier wrote:Awesome pictures, really enjoyed them.

Exactly my reaction. You've probably started a stampede...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:42 am

I guess that must be pretty much Perfection :D Photographs are superb and crisp :clap: What a day last Saturday was! some more of the same please :)

Pity about all the roadworks and the quarry :(
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Phil the Hill » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:02 pm

Did these in rain and mist, hoping we'd get above it on reaching the summit, but never did :( Must go back and do them in good conditions if the views are like that.

Re cold beer, the trick is to submerse the cans or bottles in a stream when setting up camp. Should be nicely chilled with a bit of snowmelt. Secure them well with rocks though!
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

17 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland