walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall a' Bhuachaillle and Creagan Gorm

Meall a' Bhuachaillle and Creagan Gorm

Postby litljortindan » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:37 pm

Route description: Meall a' Bhuachaille circuit, Glenmore

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a' Bhuachaille

Date walked: 17/04/2015

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 560m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Supposed to be a compromise walk that would suit both me and my wife (not too far away, decent paths, not too high...) and it was, up to a point. The way to the beautiful Lochan Uaine was a bit more busy than we like but the lochan itself was surprisingly quiet. Thereafter things got quieter and quieter and we enjoyed the walk more and more. Well that is apart from disturbing a slumbering bothy occupant and his alsation and also when the air resounded with a bellowing noise ringing out across the glen. No, not a lost reindeer but my wife tripping on one of the stone steps one the zig zags up the east shoulder.
My wife isn't too keen on steep stone steps and fairly zoomed ahead, later justifying her desertion by dint of wishing to get the unenjoyable out of the way asap. Fair enough, at least she did wait for me near the top!
Decent views of the northern corriies and also north east to Ben Rinnes and north and north west to the Sutherland coast and to Ben Wyvis.
A few folk milling about at the Meall a' Bhuachaille summit but we got Greagan Gorm all to ourselves. No sign of reindeer though. Also got the descent all to ourselves and this was a mix of good views over Loch Morlich to Sgor Gaoith, fine woodland and ugly tree clearings.

zoom north west to wife

burling round 180 degrees

Sgor Gaoith

possibly Ben Wyvis

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Meall a' Bhuachaillle and Creagan Gorm

Postby rockhopper » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:36 pm

Would agree - it's a nice walk and you do get some good views at the top :thumbup: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby teaandpies » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:12 pm

I do enjoy a jaunt up ' The Meall' as it's known by us locals or at least by my brother and I :lol:

Lots of nice pictures here. It's always nice to see a bit of home :D
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby litljortindan » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:41 pm

rockhopper wrote:Would agree - it's a nice walk and you do get some good views at the top :thumbup: - cheers :)

Yes quite a lot of variety for a relatively short walk.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:43 pm

teaandpies wrote:I do enjoy a jaunt up ' The Meall' as it's known by us locals or at least by my brother and I :lol:

Lots of nice pictures here. It's always nice to see a bit of home :D

Thanks. Lochan Uaine a good spot for photos. Didn't quite get the weather my camera likes but interesting views of the northern corries, Wyvis, Cromdale hills and Ben Rinnes.
litljortindan
Ambler

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland