walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A hazy lazy day round the Gables.

A hazy lazy day round the Gables.

Postby mamoset » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:57 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Base Brown, Great Gable, Green Gable, Kirk Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Base Brown, Great Gable, Green Gable, Kirk Fell

Date walked: 09/04/2015

Time taken: 6

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1150m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

My initial plan for today was to go to Wast Waster and take in some fells there. Unfortunately, the weather forecast scuppered that with a heavy haze from the west forecast, so it was back to Seathwaite again for a trip round the Gables. It was really warm as i left Seathwaite and headed for Stockley Bridge.
IMG_6631.JPG
Obligatory shot!!
Headed quickly up past the 1000ft boulder, with Green Gable coming in to view.
IMG_6633.JPG
Following Styhead Gill, the view ahead was almost obliterated by the haze :? but a bit of snow was still evident on Scafell Pike.
IMG_6635.JPG
Looks like there has been some lovebirds up here recently :shock:
IMG_6637.JPG
Good luck Hannah and Tim!!
Unsure which way to tackle the Gable from, decided to head up Aaron Slack to Windy Gap, as i had never been up this way before. Awful route i must say :lol: From Windy Gap the views weren't much better.
IMG_6641.JPG
Across Haystacks to High Stile ridge.
I decided to head across to Kirk Fell first and followed the higher path beneath Gable Crag.
IMG_6644.JPG
Kirk Fell.
Headed down to Beck Head and over to begin the ascent of Rib End.
IMG_6649.JPG
Rib End.
This is a pretty easy ascent, but it was really warm by now, and extra suncream was called for 8) Went over the north top and on to the actual summit.
IMG_6655.JPG
Plenty of fells from Kirk Fell summit.
IMG_6657.JPG
To Pillar and High Stile ridge.
Skirted the edge of Kirk Fell before going back down to Beck Head and heading beneath Great Gable, making for the White Napes.
IMG_6664.JPG
Kirk Fell and Haystacks from ascent.
There is a lot of loose scree to start, but the scrambling over the Napes makes it worthwhile.
IMG_6666.JPG
Westmorland Crag from exit of Napes.
You could just about make Wast Water out from here, glad i didn't go round there!! :clap: :lol:
IMG_6668.JPG
Climbed round Westmorland Crag to the famous old cairn.
IMG_6679.JPG
Westmorland Cairn.
There was a fair few people at the summit, so after a short stop headed off to Windy Gap again!!
IMG_6681.JPG
Plenty of fells from Gable top.
IMG_6683.JPG
Unusual addition to the summit.
Was a decent view down Ennerdale from Windy Gap.
IMG_6687.JPG
It is only a short climb to the summit of Green Gable from here.
IMG_6691.JPG
Green Gable top.
With not much reason to hang about, i made for Base Brown, my final top of the day.
IMG_6696.JPG
Base Brown ahead.
Again, it is easy going across here, mainly due to the long dry spell :D
IMG_6702.JPG
Base Brown.
There was some climbers on Raven Crag below Grey Knotts who could be heard for miles!! :shock:
IMG_6705.JPG
Raven Crag.
Made for the Hanging Stone, which i nearly carried on straight past :lol:
IMG_6708.JPG
Hanging Stone.
After this, Sourmilk Gill seemed the obvious route down, and it is quite an interesting descent. There wasn't much water in the gill, but it is still eye-catching.
IMG_6711.JPG
Sourmilk Gill falls at the slabs.
A good walk, spoilt a little by such a heavy haze :( but i did enjoy it, all the same.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: A hazy lazy day round the Gables.

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:10 pm

Some fine country covered, shame about the haze. I just recently used Aaron Slack for a descent and it was fine, I can imagine it being a somewhat tedious climb.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: A hazy lazy day round the Gables.

Postby trailmasher » Sat May 02, 2015 4:15 pm

A damn fine route and a shame about the hazy conditions, but at least you got it done on a good, dry, sunny day.
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland