walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

the pink rib

the pink rib

Postby roughwalker » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:35 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chrùlaiste, from Altnafeidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chrùlaiste

Date walked: 19/04/2015

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 614m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A free day with the promise of clear weather meant i could head for the hills for the first time in a month. Glencoe is usually the first place that comes into my head when there is guaranteed sunshine on offer,but i didn't want anything too taxing so I chose beinn a'chrulaiste via the pink rib.

I set off relatively early as i thought on a sunny Sunday a certain mountain across the road from the one i was doing would be a popular destination and parking would be at a premium.i wasn't wrong, there was only one space left in the layby.

I parked up,had a bite to eat,slowly got ready (I was in no hurry ),and eventually set off 3/4 of an hour later along the west highland way.there wasn't a cloud in the sky and the bauchaille as usual looked impressive.

Pretty soon the pink rib came into view,although it didn't look very pink.

I left the whw where the road bends and headed to where the burns come together further up the hill,crossed the burn with no problem,then headed straight up to the rib,there's a waterfall right next to it that would look really impressive in full spate.

pink rib from below

I sat here for a while just taking it all in and taking a few photos, its just stunning up there.

After a while i set off scrambling up the rib,great fun and over all to quickly, really enjoyed it always looking for harder bits to do.
from the top i set off northeast for the summit always looking back at the view of the bauchailles and the bidean range,they just look better and better the higher you get.

couldn't resist posing with b.e.m

Further up the hill suddenly a ptarmigan came out from behind a boulder in a threatening manner loudly letting me hear its battle cry, i nearly s.... myself :lol: :lol: i duly backed off and gave it a wide berth.

the victor,standing tall after a successful ambush.

I reached the trig shortly after that little skirmish and the views opened up all around, the ben,the mamores etc.....superb.

I headed down after a while towards stob beinn a'chrulaiste, easy going taking photo's as i went.

When i got to stob beinn a'chrulaiste, there was a rocky outcrop, so i dumped my bag and did a wee bit more scrambling,great fun,
It gets alot steeper, wetter and muddy in places from here, a combination of which saw me slip,fall and land on my backside in laurel and hardy fashion......twice!!. :lol: :lol: ,luckily no one was there to witness this total loss of dignity.

nearly there

Once i got down most of the way i followed a fence all the way back to the whw,from here it was just a stone's throw to the car.
Despite falling victim to a brutal ambush on the way up,and steep,muddy underfoot conditions on the way down,i had a smile on my face when i reached the car :D :D

glencoe is a wonderful place and although this hill is completely overshadowed by its neighbours,this is an enjoyable, fun way up it and the views just don't get much better. :D :D :D
roughwalker
Mountaineer

Munros:61   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:37   

Re: the pink rib

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:50 pm

Amazing photos - best views in Glencoe (in my opinion :D )
wilkiemurray

Postby roughwalker » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:20 pm

wilkiemurray wrote:Amazing photos - best views in Glencoe (in my opinion :D )

Thanks,i share your opinion,the views are pretty special :D
roughwalker
Mountaineer

Postby Silverhill » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:53 pm

roughwalker wrote:
wilkiemurray wrote:Amazing photos - best views in Glencoe (in my opinion :D )

Thanks,i share your opinion,the views are pretty special :D

8) I agree, although I haven’t been up Beinn a’ Chrulaiste myself yet. Must make amends!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby roughwalker » Sun May 03, 2015 10:56 am

[/quote]
8) I agree, although I haven’t been up Beinn a’ Chrulaiste myself yet. Must make amends![/quote]

When you do make amends, make sure its a good day, this is definitely a sunny weather hill :D
roughwalker
Mountaineer

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland