walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Tale of Two Cairns

A Tale of Two Cairns

Postby Jockstar » Tue May 05, 2015 8:50 am

Route description: Auchnafree Hill from Loch Turret

Corbetts included on this walk: Auchnafree Hill

Date walked: 30/05/2015

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 5.5 km

Ascent: 623m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had decided that I needed another hill to get me back to a better fitness level ready for the busier days ahead on the hills. I had toyed some time ago to go back to Loch Turret as I had been told that it’s a good walk and I was feeling confident of doing this as I had a good stretch up in Tummel valley where I did the two corbetts ,Farragon Hill and Meall Tairneachan and so off we went to go up Auchnafree Hill. So Ruby and myself set off to the Turret dam to see how my fitness would stand up on the hill. I had also decided that I would walk along the lochside until you run out of loch and I remembered from doing Ben Chonzie that it was a good walk on its own!
P1030401 (1024x768).jpg
Good view of Ben Chonzie from Loch Turret
However, as we approached the place where a few years ago we went up to the left and bagged Ben Chonzie this time we took a right turn and headed straight up the hill. It was tough going in the heather and soft conditions and before long the legs were tiring and the breath was short. The saving grace was that it was easier getting onto any stones to get purchase on our legs. So we steadily made our way up the steep conditions and taking rests we steadily made our way up eventually coming to the flat part of the hill. We then saw the path that came from the Dam end up to where we were. Following the path we came across the first cairn but as Graham Dewar told us that this was a false cairn . The actual top is further on and right enough the smaller cairn, which is the true one, was there.
P1030411 (1024x768).jpg
Myself and Ruby, at the real cairn
Success all round for the two of us. We decide to go down the south side of the hill and we quickly picked up a path that led us all the way down to the car park. Great day and another bonus of returning to do more hills. Great day and also a good number of white hares seen.
Attachments
P1030414 (1024x768).jpg
Loch Turret from Auchnafree Hill looking south
P1030408 (1024x768).jpg
The largest cairn is not the right one
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland