walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A long walk in to the Bare hill of the wet place

A long walk in to the Bare hill of the wet place

Postby Beaner001 » Mon May 04, 2015 12:48 pm

Route description: Maoile Lunndaidh

Munros included on this walk: Maoile Lunndaidh

Date walked: 02/05/2015

Time taken: 7.3 hours

Distance: 27.4 km

Ascent: 1352m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was another weekend my wife was working so reluctantly I fled to the hills, :lol: . The weather predicted Saturday to be the best day and as I wanted to see the boxing match on Saturday night it would only be the one day this weekend. I was a bit bored of the road south so opted for the North this weekend; I was close to going for a trip into the Deargs at Ullapool but instead went to Torridon region to tackle the remote lump of Maoile Lunndaidh. Arrived at the forest car park at Craig at 10.20am and was away by 10.30am. I knew most of the route in was on track so was not too concerned with my relatively late start, I just couldn’t be bothered getting up any earlier.

We crossed the road and the railway line and started along the track east, no sign of the white horse that had been guarding the entrance in others reports. In fact no sign of any farm life so dogs were off their tethers right away.

photo 1.JPG
On the track after the railway crossing looking to the Corbett Sgurr nam Ceannaichean

We followed the track over the River Carron and started uphill making our way to the gate at the top of Cona Mheallan, looking back here you get wonderful views of Achnashellach hills; Fuar Tholl, Sgorr Ruadh and Beinn Liath Mhor.

photo 2.JPG
Looking back to Acnashellach hills, Left Fuar Tholl, Middle Sgorr Ruadh, Right Beinn Liath Mhor

photo 3.JPG
The gate with Corbett Sgurr nam Ceannaichean behind and the wee knoll Cona Mheallain to the right of track

Once through the gate the track winds past this knoll and curves round the south western flanks of the Corbett Sgurr nan Ceannaichean which can be linked with the Munro Moruisg. The path loses a bit of height and runs parallel to the Pollan Buidhe River. Soon we saw the first of two wire bridges over the Pollan Buidhe, ‘cross at your own risk’ signs were present, and luckily we’d not need to cross today.

photo 5.JPG
First of the wire bridges

The second wire bridge is just below the path that would take you up to the Bealach Bhearnais for tackling the Corbett Beinn Tharsuinn and the two Sgurr’s. Looking at the two Sgurr’s I was glad I’d opted for Maoile Lunndaidh today as there looked a fair bit of cornicing up there, not good conditions when you have two inquisitive spaniels.

photo 6.JPG
Coire Choinnich between the two Sgurr's

photo 7.JPG
Track ahead to the Glenuaig Lodge

photo 8.JPG
Sign with two Sgurr's behind

As soon as we turned East the wind hit us and we walked into the stiff wind all the way to Glenuaig Lodge and walker’s refuge. It was hard work but I hoped the wind would keep up and help us on the outward route.

photo 9.JPG
Reaching Glenuaig Lodge

I had a quick look inside the walkers refuge (essentially a shed) and it had; a set of bunk beds, a wee heater, someone had even left their rubbish hanging on a nail on the wall in a plastic bag, for all the weight and hassle it would have been to carry out with them, I cannot understand this. We sat out on top of some wood which was lying around and had some lunch before tackling the boggy ground that lay ahead to reach the steep ascent up to the summit.

photo 10.JPG
Looking over to Carn nam Fiaclan from the lodge and the corrie Fuar-tholl Mor left of picture

photo 11.JPG
The walkers Shelter

photo 12.JPG
Walk over the boggy terrain, my ascent to the left of the picture

A faint track leaves the Glenuaig lodge down to the Pollan Buidhe which we crossed using some stones with my poles for extra balance. The ground was hellish boggy but I skipped over the tufts of vegetation which stuck out above the bog. Then the ascent started, it too was extremely boggy but we made good time and gained height quickly. As we started reaching the snow level I put on my micro spikes for extra purchase, no need to rake my crampons or axe out of my bag as the gradient and snow conditions did not justify them. The views into the beautiful corrie of Fuar-tholl Mor were great as was the view over to the the Munro top of Carn nam Fiaclan and the cornicing into the corrie below.

photo 13.JPG
Looking into the Fuar-tholl Mor corrie

photo 14.JPG
Coming into the snow line, fresh snow fall was quite deep and soft

Looking at the GPS I was now at 800m and we took a rest before the last push to the summit, here the wind was blowing hard lifting the freshly laid snow into our faces. We scampered up to the summit but it was an uncomfortable 15 minutes as no matter what side of the reasonable sized cairn I sat at the wind seemed to hit me full on. I gave up and just embraced the situation as the views were stunning. Maoile Lunndaidh translates from Gaelic to Bare hill of the wet place, I can testify to that. The ascent was extremely boggy and the summit was a bare lump, almost Cairngorm like, bereft of any features apart from two stunning corries.

photo 15.JPG
Dogs on the summit Maoile Lunndaidh

I really wanted a view of Bidein a’Choire Sheasgaich as I felt the profile of the mountain would be great from this side but I could not see it for the Munro top Carn nam Fiaclan (Cairn of the teeth). I decided I’d not bother going over to the top as I’m not collecting tops at this stage and the cornicing over the Mica Ridge to that side looked severe so I’d not risk it with the dogs.

photo 16.JPG
Looking over to the Sgurr's and Carn nam Fiaclan Munro Top, cornice ridden

photo 17.JPG
And again

photo 18.JPG
Zoomed to Liathach left and Eighe right

photo 19.JPG
Zoomed cornices of Carn nam Fiaclan

Disappointed I set off back the way I’d come, promising myself I’d do the two Sgurr’s on a great day to get a good pic of Bidein a’Choire Sheasgaich. As is often the case on the way down I found a path after getting to 600m and I followed this down most of the way but it disappeared and again I made my own way.

photo 20.JPG
Route down, Corbett Sgurr nam Ceannaichean left and Munro Moruisg Right

photo 21.JPG
Looking back up the Glen, one of the Achnashellach Hills poking out in the background

photo 22.JPG
Nice waterfall on way down coming from Fuar-tholl Mor

We reached the bottom and negotiated the bog again and crossed the Pollan Buidhe in the same place as earlier and followed the faint track back to the lodge.

photo 23.JPG
A wee swim in the Pollan Buidhe not far from where we crossed

I stopped for a bite to eat but I forgot to pick up that bag of rubbish I was meaning to take away as I hate seeing rubbish in bothies and the like. Sure the lodge have some way of emptying it though. I noticed that on the side of the lodge was a satellite dish, surely they did not have TV or even Sky? Having a nosey in the windows it looked a right fancy dwelling, proper kitchen and dining area and a right expensive viewing scope looking out the window onto the hillside, probably to spot the deer and other wildlife. I noticed a track behind the lodge and zig zagging its way up to Moruisg, worth noting for others that may look to link these Munros.

photo 24.JPG
Looking back at Maoile Lunndaidh from lodge, our ascent/descent to the left of the gorge leading up to Fuar-tholl Mor corrie

photo 25.JPG
A final rest before the walk out

At this point I still had seen no other walkers today, funny that given the car park was full and I got the last potential space. However I did see a tent as I got to the wire bridge for the crossing to the Bealach Bhearnais, nobody scurrying around but they had chained their bikes together at the side of the track. Quick check of the rucksack but no, I had left my snips at home, no bike thefts today. I soon caught up with the first people of the day, a couple from Dumfries; we walked together from here all the way back to the cars. They had done the two Sgurr’s today, were really nice and the conversation was largely based on Munros, funny that. They had around 26 to go, all the best for your impending completion. While on the way back the dogs found a couple of deer antlers, not six pointers but a pair of beauties none the less. Not a matching pair but good enough for me to bag and take home, I’ll cut them up and let the dogs chew on them in the back garden. They certainly were gutted I’d taken them off them but I was scared an eye would be teen out while they squabbled over which one was who’s etc. All the years I’ve been in the hills and I’ve never found an antler, now two in one day, well credit goes to the dogs. Soon we all arrived back at the railway crossing and then the cars, I certainly felt like I had walked over 26km but my body felt good for it. This was a good walk and a fine view point for a hill, probably not the most aesthetically pleasing of this group but a fine day out. Cheers.
Last edited by Beaner001 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: A long walk in to the Bare hill of the wet place

Postby martin.h » Mon May 04, 2015 6:52 pm

Thanks for this report Matt, we may have a go at this one in September and this describes what we'll encounter.
Winters hanging on for the time being, but summer will arrive soon, I hope. :D 8)
Take care.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby Silverhill » Mon May 04, 2015 7:45 pm

A loooong walk in, but you made good time and had views! :D
Beaner001 wrote:Maoile Lunndaidh translates from Gaelic to Bare hill of the wet place, I can testify to that. [...] the summit was a bare lump, almost Cairngorm like, bereft of any features apart from two stunning corries.
photo 15.JPG

... apart from two clever spaniels, more like. :wink:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Collaciotach » Mon May 04, 2015 8:22 pm

S math a rinn sibh :wink: ..... good day on you there fella , aye plenty snow and good pics

I intend these as a threesome .... early start...... long Summer day ..... late finish but when the sneachd is away ,seen enough snow this year ! .
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Beaner001 » Tue May 05, 2015 9:06 am

martin.h wrote:Thanks for this report Matt, we may have a go at this one in September and this describes what we'll encounter.
Winters hanging on for the time being, but summer will arrive soon, I hope. :D 8)
Take care.

A cracking area this, can't wait to revisit :D Bloody winter eh :lol: :lol:

Silverhill wrote:A loooong walk in, but you made good time and had views! :D
Beaner001 wrote:Maoile Lunndaidh translates from Gaelic to Bare hill of the wet place, I can testify to that. [...] the summit was a bare lump, almost Cairngorm like, bereft of any features apart from two stunning corries.
photo 15.JPG

... apart from two clever spaniels, more like. :wink:

Dinna be giving the dogs big heads Silverhill :lol: :lol:

Collaciotach wrote:S math a rinn sibh :wink: ..... good day on you there fella , aye plenty snow and good pics

I intend these as a threesome .... early start...... long Summer day ..... late finish but when the sneachd is away ,seen enough snow this year ! .

And a cracking treble they will be Colla. I'm hoping to go back and get the two Sgurr's along with the Corbetts in summer and do Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich and partner from Attadale with a stay in the bothy (I see you did this also). Agreed, seen enough of the sneachd this year :lol:
Cheers
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Tue May 05, 2015 3:59 pm

Great photo of the dogs on the summit! :clap: I used my bike for this one. Was a great wizz out back to the car.
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby spiderwebb » Tue May 05, 2015 6:33 pm

Nice one Beaner !! Must confess when you mentioned this one I had to look it up as for the life of me couldn't recall where it was. Did the others with it with Scoob and Fi a while back. Remembered thinking how close ben Alder looked from this one, although no doubt a considerable drop and renascent. Not a bad day you got there :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Mal Grey » Tue May 05, 2015 9:36 pm

Nice trip, its a real "middle of nowhere" feel on that one.

We used bikes, though as it was into the teeth of a gale on the way in, it didn't save any energy or much time, until the descent. Interesting to see the wee shelter, don't remember that.

I recommend going up into the Fuar-Tholl Mor, the Big Cold Hole, its an amazing corrie, very complex with several different levels. Rough country, but fascinating. We climbed up out the back, not too bad except for a 5 foot piece of pure ice we had to put crampons on to cross, when there was virtually no snow or ice anywhere else!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Beaner001 » Wed May 06, 2015 1:25 pm

SAVAGEALICE wrote:Great photo of the dogs on the summit! :clap: I used my bike for this one. Was a great wizz out back to the car.

Thanks Alice :D , I am still humming and haying over a bike............

spiderwebb wrote:Nice one Beaner !! Must confess when you mentioned this one I had to look it up as for the life of me couldn't recall where it was. Did the others with it with Scoob and Fi a while back. Remembered thinking how close ben Alder looked from this one, although no doubt a considerable drop and renascent. Not a bad day you got there :D

Aye aye Dave, you been on the drams?? It would be quite a descent, re ascent and distance to walk to get to Ben Alder from there :lol: :lol:

Mal Grey wrote:Nice trip, its a real "middle of nowhere" feel on that one.

We used bikes, though as it was into the teeth of a gale on the way in, it didn't save any energy or much time, until the descent. Interesting to see the wee shelter, don't remember that.

I recommend going up into the Fuar-Tholl Mor, the Big Cold Hole, its an amazing corrie, very complex with several different levels. Rough country, but fascinating. We climbed up out the back, not too bad except for a 5 foot piece of pure ice we had to put crampons on to cross, when there was virtually no snow or ice anywhere else!

It sure does Mal, that sounds a great way to summit :clap: . It did look a Big Cold Hole indeed :lol:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Sun May 10, 2015 11:11 am

A long walk but well worth it - some great walking in this area :thumbup: and various options as well for overnighters. You're right about the stalkers' path - it's a nice way to ascend Moruisg especially at the end of a long day - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Graeme D » Sun May 10, 2015 4:16 pm

Sounds like an immensely satisfying day! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby pollyh33 » Sun May 10, 2015 8:23 pm

Thanks for the super-detailed report Matt. :clap:

Looks like a smashing hill to do with a bike, by that I mean my own, not a nicked one!!! :D

Cheers for posting. :thumbup:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Beaner001 » Tue May 12, 2015 1:12 pm

rockhopper wrote:A long walk but well worth it - some great walking in this area :thumbup: and various options as well for overnighters. You're right about the stalkers' path - it's a nice way to ascend Moruisg especially at the end of a long day - cheers :)

Hi RH, it's an area I can't wait to go back to, Bendronaig bothy may get a visit from Attadale :D
Cheers

Graeme D wrote:Sounds like an immensely satisfying day! :D

Sure was Graeme :D

pollyh33 wrote:Thanks for the super-detailed report Matt. :clap:

Looks like a smashing hill to do with a bike, by that I mean my own, not a nicked one!!! :D

Cheers for posting. :thumbup:

Aye if you can lay yer hands on a bike that be the way to do this one, the start is steep bit apart from that the rest is reasonably flat to the lodge.
Cheers :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland