walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

HAYSTACKS-KIRK FELL-THE GABLES VIA BLACK SAIL - THE LAKES

HAYSTACKS-KIRK FELL-THE GABLES VIA BLACK SAIL - THE LAKES

Postby susanmyatt » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:50 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Great Gable, Green Gable, Haystacks, Kirk Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Great Gable, Green Gable, Kirk Fell, Kirk Fell East Top

Date walked: 24/04/2010

Time taken: 7

Distance: 14 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another glorious weekend forecast and another 5am wake up and visit to the Lakes, this time parking up at the National Trust car park at Honister slate mines. A beautiful day and quite warm,this could get a little tiring :lol:

honister.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Our first target for the day was Haystacks so it was upwards from the car park and along by the old drum house.
IMG_3447.jpg
Old drum house with Pillar behind
It's not long before we could see our well worn route onto Haystacks
IMG_3449.jpg
Route up Haystacks
We were offered one of my favourite views, into the majestic valley with Buttermere and Crummock Water
IMG_3452.jpg
Towards Buttermere
We walked down to Blackbeck Tarn with Green Crag to our right and were soon on the path upwards to Haystacks, stopping for that great photo opportunity
IMG_3453.jpg
Mellbreak and Grasmoor behind
Getting near to the summit we caught our breath at the lovely Inominate Tarn, last time I was here it was also a glorious day but there were a few bugs about.
IMG_3456.jpg
Inominate Tarn
Last push and we were onto the summit
IMG_3459.jpg
Haystacks top
It was now the time for a massive height loss as we first descended to Scarth Gap and then down into the Ennerdale Valley and the Black Sail Youth Hostel.
IMG_3464.jpg
Down, down deeper and down
IMG_3473.jpg
Oh, the poor knees
IMG_3476.jpg
Big height loss to Black Sail
IMG_3480.jpg
What a relief, cuppa time !
We had a quick look down Ennerdale
IMG_3487.jpg
Ennerdale Valley
Now it was time for the serious climb to Kirk Fell,our first target after crossing the River Liza was the top of the Black Sail Pass where we were two weeks ago on the way to Pillar, it was tough going :(
IMG_3488.jpg
Climb to Black Sail Pass
IMG_3489.jpg
Headless man or rabbit hole ?
IMG_3495.jpg
This climbing lark is hard work
We arrived at the flat top of Kirk Fell and were glad to let our calf muscles relax :lol:
IMG_3500.jpg
Kirk Fell summit with Great Gable behind
IMG_3507.jpg
Wastwater from Kirk Fell
We visited the other cairn on Kirk Fell before descending down Rib End to Beck Head and a view of our next quarry.
IMG_3510.jpg
View from Beck Head of Gable
This was also steep going and this photo to Wastwater shows it :(
IMG_3512.jpg
Ascent of Gable
Time for a drink and to take in the views
IMG_3515.jpg
Carl with Kirk Fell descent in view
IMG_3517.jpg
Ennerdale-High Stile range-Haystacks-Grasmoor
There was still some snow for the youngsters to play in !!!
IMG_3520.jpg
Last remnants of the snow
We then made the top and what views :D
IMG_3522.jpg
Great Gable summit
We made our way down to Windy Gap and up to Green Gable
IMG_3530.jpg
Down to Windy Gap and GG descent
IMG_3534.jpg
Views to Allen Crags, PikeO'Stickle,Bowfell, Great End
We made our way off Green Gable and veered off to Moses Trod to pick up the tramway again and back to the cars. None of us had a drop left to drink, a tough walk in warm conditions but as always great fun, time to rest the knees,till next time, love Sue :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: HAYSTACKS-KIRK FELL-THE GABLES VIA BLACK SAIL - THE LAKES

Postby mountain coward » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:29 am

That's some walk there Sue! An interesting route and a very hard day! Some great photos there of the routes up and down - I remember not finding Kirk Fell Crags all that bad to ascend the second time we went up them. The first time I was scared of them and it was misty so we inadvisedly followed some guys up Red Gully round the corner from them - that was horrific! Loose and awful. At one point Richard set a huge boulder crashing off down the scree towards the Black Sail Pass shrouded in mist below... we kept quiet and waited to see if there were any screams as it crushed anyone but there weren't - so either it was quick or it missed! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby colgregg » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:53 pm

Wow Sue what a day you had. My Newlands walk (report) finished sunny but you had it all the way. Lucky you. What you did was a true tester. Crossing Ennerdale and losing / regaining such height is a test of resolve, indeed. Mind you it looked like one of those days you would never want to end. I don't know about you but on days like that I could walk the fells forever!!!
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby susanmyatt » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:23 pm

A very tough day but always enjoyable, wouldn't it be great if we didn't get too tired and could just walk from morning to night, perhaps some of our members can :lol: It's hard work carrying enough liquid when conditions are so warmnever mind the other things we collect in our backpacks, always try to trim down the pack in summer but it never seems any lighter :lol:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby monty » Mon May 03, 2010 9:34 am

Hi Susan,
Nice report there. I love the contrast of the path up Haystacks and Innominate tarn to the craggy ascents and scrambles of Kirk Fall and Westwater. Looks a bit scary in places :D

Nice bit of Quo there :D
monty

Postby susanmyatt » Mon May 03, 2010 3:05 pm

Hi Monty, my husband writes the posts so he is responsible for the quirky titles and photo captions, he was right it did seem to go down for ages. I love Haystacks, first completed it with my husband from Gatescarth we climbed up Fleetwith Pike then joined the same route from the tarn but came off from Scarth Gap and back down across the valley, it was a hot glorious day and the photos were great. The climb to Kirk Fell was hard work but the rewards of the views to Wastwater, 8) Below are three from Haystacks walk in 2008
IMG_0761.JPG
Ascent of Fleetwith Pike
IMG_0786.JPG
Fleetwith summit with the ultimate view to Buttermere
IMG_0838.JPG
Crossing to Haystacks
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby Ethel » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:52 am

Ok so just done your walk - it looked so great.

I'm going to hold you responsible for the surgery required on my knees!!!! Kidding, but on the third climb/fall between Rib End and Great Gable I was seriously finding the knees a problem! Any advice?

Terrific route - I did get a complete white out on top of Kirkfell for about an hour - thank goodness for the old fence posts to follow or it was gonna get messy! But when it cleared and I could see across to Gable then it was all cool as custard again...loved it. Oh yeh, the only problem was having to get up it.....That was actually the easiest part of the day I thought, plus the most rewarding.

Did anyone else think that the really easy path from the carpark up to the Drum House felt like the N face of the Eiger on the way back down....?
Ethel
Munro compleatist

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:19 pm

Well done Ethel, it really is a big rise and fall walk, certainly down to Black Sail and then up to Kirk Fell. The knees always hurt on the descents, the only advice if you already use poles is grin and bear it, we all suffer :lol: Our group leader, Mr.C. never lets us off lightly so if you copy any more gang walks then expect the worse, thanks for the post, Sue :thumbup:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland