walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

This one was for Allan

This one was for Allan

Postby Beaner001 » Mon May 11, 2015 12:02 pm

Route description: A' Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire

Munros included on this walk: A' Chralaig, Mullach Fraoch-choire

Date walked: 09/05/2015

Time taken: 6.3 hours

Distance: 14.4 km

Ascent: 1287m

25 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A text from my ex-army mate Andy during the week led to this walk. Andy now works in Tanzania so time at home is special for us but usually involves lots of booze and tomfoolery. Andy has only really just come to terms with the Iraq war and out of all the guys I know he more than most has the troubles of a soldier on his mind. Back in 2006 he witnessed his good mate (whom I never had the pleasure of meeting) Allan take a head shot from a sniper while he was changing the communications on a police station roof top in Al Amarah, Iraq. Allan died instantly and seeing the pictures of Allan’s coffin being carried down Aberdeen’s Union Street nearly brought me to tears. Lance Corporal Allan Stewart Douglas of the Highlanders was only 22 and his birthday was May the 2nd, he would just have turned 32. This one was for Allan.
Parked up in the lay by a couple of km’s East of the Cluanie inn and set off toward the track that takes you to Glen Affric. We cut off the track almost instantly and began the relentlessly steep climb up the side of Fuaran Mor Chluainidh.

photo 1.JPG
The track to Glen Affric

photo 2.JPG
Andy and Roy

photo 3.JPG
The steep ascent up Fuaran Mor Chluainidh

Andy struggled to start with as his fitness is not what it was, he has completed lots of courses at Glenmore Lodge so he loves the hills but work keeps him away for great periods. Behind us there was a couple and their wee Terrier, they soon caught up with Andy but stopped for lunch. The views were fantastic over to the SGR and also the rest of Kintail, the Ben even made a cloud free appearance.

photo 4.JPG
Looking over to South Glenshiel Ridge

photo 5.JPG
The Corbett Am Bathach and Brother ridge behind

photo 6.JPG
Back down to the road and Andy

photo 7.JPG
A dogs eye view of the SGR

Once up on the ridge to the summit I met a guy that was taking part in the TGO challenge, well played sir that’s some undertaking.

photo 8.JPG
Coming to summit Ridge A'Chralaig

photo 9.JPG
Beautiful Ciste Dhubh

photo 10.JPG
Brothers ridge

I soon made the summit and waited for Andy, the summit cairn was huge. Andy made the summit and was chuffed to bits, luckily the couple made the summit at the same time and kindly took our photo.

photo 11.JPG
Summit A'Chralaig

photo 12.JPG
Huge summit cairn

photo 13.JPG
Andy reaching the summit

photo 14.JPG
Great pals

We replaced used energy with sandwiches and fruit and then made our way along the ridge to the second Munro. I had read that there were pinnacles to negotiate (Na Geurdain) on the way but there was a bypass path so the dogs would be ok.

photo 15.JPG
Looking at the snaking ridge to Mullach Fraoch-choire

photo 16.JPG
Pinnacles coming into view

photo 18.JPG
Dogs cracking on

Once I got to the pinnacles there was no sign of a bypass path, the snow had covered all traces. We therefore made our own way down to the right and traversed along a snow field to the end of the path which I made out. The dogs did just fine and soon we were waiting on Andy and the other couple and their dog to get across.

photo 19.JPG
Andy coming over the rock pinnacle

photo 20.JPG
Andy zoomed

I pushed on to the summit as I did not want the dogs mucking around here, I met a guy and his Collie dog there and we chatted a while. He decided not to negotiate the pinnacles and I decided I’d not go back that way either. He set off North and Andy made the summit and we stayed taking photos a while.

photo 21.JPG
A'Chralaig in distance

photo 22.JPG
Me and dogs on summit

photo 23.JPG
Roy with the Glen Affric backdrop

We followed the guy North before heading west down into the Glen on the steep grassy slopes, they were dry so no issues.

photo 24.JPG
Our descent back down into the valley

photo 25.JPG
Ciste Dhubh

We made the path which soon turns into a Landrover track and motored along bumping into another TGO wanderer. He had collected a 6 pointer stags Antler. Just before we made the road again we bumped into a guy that was back up looking for his GPS which he had lost a few weeks ago, hope he finds it. Once we made the road it was a short walk back to the layby. When we were driving back along the road I saw my dad’s car, it turns out he was up doing the three Munros East of the two we were doing, it’s a small world after all. We stopped in Inverness ‘right enuf/rubber bumper’ for a chippy tea and the evening was lovely, soon we were back to the Northern Lights of Old Aberdeen. Cracking day, I never asked but I’m sure Allan was in Andy’s thoughts, the hills seemed to be therapeutic for him.
Allan.gif
Lance Corporal Allan Stewart Douglas, Photo: The Highlanders
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: This one was for Allan

Postby rockhopper » Mon May 11, 2015 1:45 pm

A great day for it and a fitting way to bring back the memories - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby kev_russ » Mon May 11, 2015 3:12 pm

Great report and pics and a really nice touch for Allan :clap:
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon May 11, 2015 3:57 pm

Great report and photographs there Beaner, looks like a fantastic day on the hills :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby martin.h » Mon May 11, 2015 7:22 pm

Another great report Matthew with some nice photos.
Its good that our soldiers are remembered, they put their lives on the line to make sure we continue to live the lives we're used to, a lovely private dedication, I hope Andy's memories ease with time. Thanks.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby Beaner001 » Tue May 12, 2015 1:16 pm

rockhopper wrote:A great day for it and a fitting way to bring back the memories - cheers :)

Scored with the weather and the views :D

kev_russ wrote:Great report and pics and a really nice touch for Allan :clap:

Thanks Kev :D

The Rodmiester wrote:Great report and photographs there Beaner, looks like a fantastic day on the hills :D

Cheers Rod, it was a good hill to do, if I'd been myself I may have gone for a longer trip but didn't want Andy collapsing on me, he'd be a big beast to help back :lol: :lol:

martin.h wrote:Another great report Matthew with some nice photos.
Its good that our soldiers are remembered, they put their lives on the line to make sure we continue to live the lives we're used to, a lovely private dedication, I hope Andy's memories ease with time. Thanks.

Thanks Marts, it's a lovely area, no long walk in's just climbing straight from the road :lol:
Cheers for your kind words :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby CJM Skye » Tue May 12, 2015 8:21 pm

Nice one.
CJM Skye
Mountain Walker

Munros:61   Corbetts:4
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:12   

Postby AnnieMacD » Tue May 12, 2015 8:33 pm

Superb report, Beaner. What a great way to remember a friend.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby dogplodder » Tue May 12, 2015 8:50 pm

Great walk and a fitting tribute to a brave soldier.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue May 12, 2015 9:10 pm

Smashing report, and two great hills in a fantastic part of the country. Great dog pics as usual! The hills are great healers, I hope they were good for Andy. A fitting tribute to Allan - thanks for posting this it's good for us all to remember. :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue May 12, 2015 9:12 pm

Meant to say that when we did these two part of the bypass path looked as it if was about to break off :shock:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue May 12, 2015 10:17 pm

Great stuff Matthew, fantastic photo's and area :clap: :clap:
Always touching to remember those who are sadly not with us.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Silverhill » Wed May 13, 2015 9:56 pm

Great that you can support your mate this way. Days out on the hills are good for the soul. :)
Also, a handy report for me. I’m planning to do these two in a few weeks time. Good to know about the pinnacles and the bypass path.
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby bikeman » Wed May 13, 2015 10:56 pm

Had to go back and login just to mark this as a great report
bikeman
Mountaineer

Postby scottishkennyg » Thu May 14, 2015 8:07 pm

A1 Beaner, hope your mate Andy manages to get plenty more days on the hills too.....Cheers Kenny
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

25 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland