walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

perhaps an inappropriate ? but...

Re: perhaps an inappropriate ? but...

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon May 11, 2015 8:36 am

4shotB wrote:
JimboJim wrote:Plenty good fishing in Argyll, too!

I believe I will go see about Argyll then. Do you know a fishing guide there? I just cannot pack a rod and reel along with my other gear.

Best not to bring fishing tackle anyway, as this can spread diseases amongst fish populations. Any good fishery will rent you tackle for a small fee. If you do a google search for fishing in Scotland, you tend to only get salmon fishing, which is a bit expensive and exclusive. Trout fishing is much cheaper, more accessible and you are much more likely to catch fish! If you find a fishing tackle shop you could ask the staff or check out notices posted in the shop window/ noticeboard advertising trout fisheries. If you are off into the wilds of the west coast you could try buying a small telescopic spinning rod, a cheap reel, line and spinners. Spinning from the rocks in sea-lochs (fjords) can often result in tasty fresh mackerel. There is no rod licence or permit fee for fishing in the sea, but do not fish at river mouths or you will be shot for salmon poaching... :shock: Try this place ~ http://www.fishingmegastore.com/index.html

Shoal of mackerel.JPG

Skye Trout.jpg

Skye waterfall.jpg
Water will not be difficult to find...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby JimboJim » Mon May 11, 2015 9:51 am

Well, if you were coming to Mid Argyll, I could suggest a few (guides), but I am further away from the golf, mountains and seafood you crave - not, too far though! There would be good sea fishing, freshwater fishing in Loch Awe, Loch Etive and River Orchy, which is in the vicinity of Cruachan, Oban, Dalmally, Glencoe, etc.
If you really wanted cracking golf courses head south to Kintyre, Machrihanish, Dunes, Dunaverty, but not got the Munro's.

Anyway, I'll ask a couple of my fishing mates, if they know a good contact a bit further north, around the Dalmally area, for a fishing guide.

(P.S., 4ShotB everyone on here, would say the same about their own county! :) )
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Postby Old Stag » Mon May 11, 2015 11:14 am

Water is not difficult to find in Scotland.
Old Stag

Postby Shug » Mon May 11, 2015 1:35 pm

I'll put in a pitch for the far north west. Plenty plenty fishing around scourie (fishing gear available at petrol station and fishing licenses cheap or for free in the sea), and plenty seafood available. Plus the lochinver pie shop! 8)
Plenty walking opportunities in hills or low level. Definitely my favourite part of the country (tho I may be biased, as fathers side of family from up there and spent much of my childhood there. And just spent the last week up there)
Shug

Munros:10   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Docjames » Mon May 11, 2015 8:25 pm

Completely different idea - if you want to play an Old Tom Morris course (designed St Andrews) and not pay exorbitant golf course fees and see a really different part of Scotland I would suggest Askernish on South Uist.

Great walking, beautiful beaches, and the golf course is a true links course with nothing between it and the America's. Got my longest ever drive there with a following on shore wind!

Just so my fellow WHers don't think I've defected - I played golf when I was stuck down on the South Coast of England and have given up now I am back in Scotland!

http://www.askernishgolfclub.com/askernishopen.php
Docjames
Munro compleatist

Munros:5   Corbetts:3
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:3   

Postby 4shotB » Tue May 12, 2015 12:18 am

Thanks to all for the many suggestions here. I will be following up on these ideas during my adventure. I don't golf well nor am I a good fisherman either...but I can tell all the appropriate lies required of either sport. :D Regards.
4shotB
Scrambler

Postby garyoppolis » Wed May 13, 2015 7:13 pm

Loch Lochy for the fishing.

10ish miles up the road from the end of the WHW and on the way to Skye. No permit required, plenty of passable marks on the shore, brown trout and rainbows escaped from the farms. My dad's caught a 5lb rainbow there on a spinner, I've had a day where I caught 11 browns and two rainbows of between 8oz and 2lb, also on spinners.
garyoppolis

Munros:136   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   

Postby garyoppolis » Wed May 13, 2015 7:18 pm

4shotB wrote:...but I can tell all the appropriate lies required of either sport. :D Regards.

My wife's from Tennessee; the accent alone will go a long way to keeping you out of trouble with any inquisitive bailiffs/gamekeepers.
garyoppolis

Munros:136   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   

Postby ropebeach » Sat May 16, 2015 9:37 pm

Backpacker, I hope you and your wife have a wonderful adventure in Scotland and that the weather is kind. I honestly don't think there should be a problem finding fresh water as someone suggested. I've done the WHW as well as a few other long distance walks and had no problem finding water plus the fact, we carried water purification tablets which we never needed. I'm sure you'll manage very well finding your way round our beautiful country by walking and public transport - very eco friendly. I wish you all the best. Christine
ropebeach
Walker

Munros:7   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:5   Islands:37

Postby 4shotB » Sun May 17, 2015 11:53 pm

So, this is (possibly) the last question as our flight leaves in 7 days. I am a huge, huge fan of live music of almost any genre...blues, bluegrass, country, rock, classical, etc. with that being said, is it possible to hear live bagpipe music? it is such a unique instrument but perhaps it is a bit archaic??. For a long time here locally, the old fiddle and banjo music of my ancestors fell out of popularity but the old southern mountain music has made quite a comeback here and now is (somewhat)popular.

so, can one find bagpipe music without too much trouble? Or is it considered to be a rare and quaint relic of days gone by? I hesitate to ask this question because of the obvious ignorance implied in the asking.

as always, thank in advance. and thanks for all the responses above. You have made me even more excited about my visit and travels. Regards.
4shotB
Scrambler

Postby Mal Grey » Mon May 18, 2015 12:27 pm

You could go try and find "munrobagpiper" of this forum.

e.g. http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=51217

Some of the more touristy towns might have bagpiping as part of evening events, I think there used to be a place in Fort William. Generally though, you are as likely to come across the pipes being by an individual somewhere outdoors. They're a bit load to practice in your front room while the other half watches the telly.

Whilst I'm not such a fan of massed pipes, the sound of a lone piper playing a lament in the hills is something special.

Hope you have a good trip, loads of good advice been given, so I don't think I need to add any more.

Enjoy!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby BobMcBob » Mon May 18, 2015 3:38 pm

Every summer visit I make to Scotland I find at least one bagpiper busking in a carpark. Never seen one in an actual venue.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon May 18, 2015 4:04 pm

Through the summer the square in Portree has a pipe band playing most weekends, I'm not sure if they do it through the week too. Highland games will have pipers, try asking at a tourist information office if there are any highland games on near where you are. I remember lovely summer evenings, hiking back to Braemar, hearing the tunes of a lone piper practising in the glen as the sun set in a blaze of glory over the Cairngorms... Ah....
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon May 18, 2015 4:16 pm

Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby 4shotB » Tue May 19, 2015 12:29 am

RTC wrote:
4shotB wrote:so, can one find bagpipe music without too much trouble?

Alas, yes. Remember the definition of a gentleman. - Somebody who can play the bagpipes but doesn't.

I have been on this wonderful internet thing for a long time. If I have ever read anything else as funny as this, I don't recall it.
I have to confess to ....I heard the song "Amazing Grace" played on the bagpipes by a solo bagpiper at my uncle's funeral (he was a firefighter who lost his life in the line of duty). If there was ever anything as beautiful and sacred as that particular song played on that particular instrument, I would like to know what it is. the other thing I have wondered since then is...where in the heck did they get a bagpiper? Or is it a piper of bags? a piper? What is the proper term for a bagpipe player?

regards as always.
4shotB
Scrambler

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion