walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Day 1 Of 5 - Silver How And Rannerdale Knotts

Day 1 Of 5 - Silver How And Rannerdale Knotts

Postby Ibex » Wed May 13, 2015 11:00 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Rannerdale Knotts, Silver How

Date walked: 07/05/2015

Time taken: 2.5

Distance: 3.5 km

Ascent: 605m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Doing 4 days on and 4 days off shift work gives me the wonderful advantage of taking 4 days holiday and then having 12 days off in row. With this I mind I booked 4 days off and decided to head off to the Lakes to bag some peaks.
I got up early (ish) and packed my bags quickly, whilst having a cup of tea and then headed off North from Oxfordshire. It was voting day and I was in David Cameron’s constituency, but he was not important to me!

I arrived in Grasmere at 2pm and parked the car up. I grabbed my map, some water and after a quick consultation to the Wainwright guide headed for Silver How. There was blazing sunshine and clear skies and I hoped this would continue over the week.

Silver How from road

I took the more direct steep route and I headed up the scree gully and then left onto the summit. Hopefully the first peak of many over the coming days.
I could see over to Helm Crag that I had climbed a few weeks ago with a friend. Today was another glorious day in the hills, sunny and bright but with a little wind, very similar to the walk on Helm Crag a few weeks ago. I was going quick so the wind was making me cold, due to all the sweat running down my back. Chucked my coat on to keep the wind off.

Wray Gill

From this low peak I was still afforded some wonderful views on the clear day. The Langdale Pikes in particular looking majestic. I took some photo’s and then contemplated a wander over to Blea Rigg and onto Tarn Crag but decided against it, due to only putting a couple of hours on the car.

Blea Rigg and Langdale

Helm Crag

I got down swiftly and had an slip on some wet ground. I managed to slide about three feet on one foot, whilst falling backwards, but somehow managed to stay on my feet. After this mini ‘bog skiing’ incident I got back to the car after about and hour and a half.
I headed off to see if I could book into a youth hostel in Borrowdale and as I turned up, there were kids everywhere. Knackers!

I could just imagine AW mumbling about these happy children spoiling the peace and serenity of the surroundings as I headed inside to see if I could get a room. Unfortunately they we fully booked, so I headed off to Honister YHA and managed to secure a spot there. The day was still young at 5.15pm, so I headed down Honister Pass with the aim to climb up another small peak.

The drive down Honister Pass and along Buttermere reaffirmed my love of this place. The views were absolutely stunning. The sun dancing on the water, the high fells to the left and gorses bushes supplying a splash of yellow across the scene.
I drove through the tiny hamlet of Buttermere and noticed the polling station open. Thoughts of the election quickly disappeared from my mind as I drove along Crummock Water and stopped in the car park just past Hause Point.

Path from car park

Mellbreak over sunny Crummock Water

I shot off up the steep path to Rannerdale Knotts and had a little chat about a third of the way up with a lady walking her daughters dogs. All they wanted to do was play, bless them.

The rest of the walk to the top was surprisingly steep. A good bit of fun for such a little Fell. I snapped from photo’s on the top and then headed back down to the car. Apparently there were some bluebells just emerging round the back of the Fell, but there seemed to be a big group going and I was starving, so headed back to Honister YHA to have a feed up and then get an early night, hopefully ready for a big walk the next day.

Rannerdale Knotts summit

Whiteless Pike

Grasmoor

On the return journey I got stuck behind a farmer herding some cows down road on his quad bike, very slowly. Once back in the hostel and showered I had some food with a group of Australian vets, doing the coast to coast walk. Very glad to be back in AW Country!

Cow Herding
Last edited by Ibex on Sat May 16, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Day 1 Of 5 - Swirl How And Rannerdale Knotts

Postby AJNicholls » Fri May 15, 2015 5:56 pm

Good stuff dude. Time to change the title though! ;)
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Re: Day 1 Of 5 - Swirl How And Rannerdale Knotts

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri May 15, 2015 10:09 pm

Rannerdale Knott's is a cracking wee fell.
P.S. your title is wrong :wink:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Day 1 Of 5 - Silver How And Rannerdale Knotts

Postby Ibex » Sat May 16, 2015 1:57 pm

Opps. Changed the title now. Thanks!

Your right JKLL, Rannderdale knotts is a characterful little hill. The way I went up was smegging steep
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Tue May 19, 2015 2:59 pm

looks like you got some good weather there! :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby Ibex » Wed May 20, 2015 12:35 am

The first two days were great. Verging on getting sunburnt at times.
The rest got worse and worse. Progressively darker and more windy. But I still had a great time each day. :)
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby ChrisW » Wed May 20, 2015 6:46 pm

Great day in great conditions Ibex, your photos of the hills are beautiful but love that shot of the cow herding :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland