walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stage 2 of my Munro quest - Conquering a Corbett

Stage 2 of my Munro quest - Conquering a Corbett

Postby TSIVES » Tue May 12, 2015 9:32 pm

Route description: Auchnafree Hill from Loch Turret

Corbetts included on this walk: Auchnafree Hill

Date walked: 09/05/2015

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 623m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Decided to bite off a little more from my plan to improve stamina and leg strength in order to bag my nameless Munro later this year (hopefully).
If you read my Ben A'an experience you'll know I'm unfit with poor joints. This is an update on how it's going, or not as the case may be.

I check “walkhighlands” a lot and trimmed my potential list down to a Corbett in Perthshire, Auchnafree Hill, from Loch Turret. A real step up for me as my walking experience can be painful, and that's without adding a hill to it.
This was described as having “good tracks for most of the route”, superb I thought, and off I went.

The drive to it from Dunbar was uneventful until I got to the road just passed the Glen Turret Distillery, home of the Famous Grouse Whisky. The road to Loch Turret was reduced to a speed limit of 10 mph, which was slow enough to protect the new born Lambs and of course to admire them, aw!

Highland cows at the top had the rule of the road and if you are unlucky enough to have one standing in the middle of it, well, patience was the order of the day as they are only for shifting in their own “slow motion” world. You never know you may catch them wiling away the time doing other things.

Highland Fling.jpg
Highland Fling

Arrived at the Loch on a crackin sunny day, and made my first mistake right from the off. I thought, big hill, high, it could be cold at top, so took all my gear including gloves and hat. Not only that but I also took all my camera gear, including two other lenses. Right there is my inexperience of this hill walking carry on. By the time I had lugged my 10kg load to the end of the Loch, the sweat was running down my back and I still had to go UP!

I must admit though the walk itself to the “climbing point” was superb. I must at this point mention that I had just purchased a pair of “Pacerpoles” which I found to be exceptional in saving the pressure on my knees. I was sceptical about these walking pole thingy's but I'm a convert.
At just past the head of the Loch, I turned sharp right to make the ascent, and what an ascent it was, step after step, after step, but I guess that’s what walking is right?

IMG_4072.jpg
First part of the ascent

The next point I was after was a sharp left turn at another junction a lot nearer the top. I came across an unmanned JCB which it seemed, was being used to create better paths etc. I walked passed this for another 15 minutes and thought, wait a minute, this doesn't look right. I had done my homework prior to the climb you see and reckoned that I had missed the sharp turn. Looking behind me I realised the JCB was parked right where I needed to turn. Real observant of me, idiot! I wasted half an hour with that simple mistake.

Anyway, I made it to the top of the featureless moorland hilltop and saw the cairns, as expected, thankfully. The bigger one I came across first, the smaller one and the true summit of the hill was only a hop, skip and a jump away, although I had no energy to do either, so walked instead.
My first Corbett, conquered, and that’s exactly how I felt, that I had conquered something! I took the obligatory selfie next to the cairn to prove to my doubters that I had actually made it.

IMG_4085ts.jpg
Made it!

The views once there were outstanding, especially back down the Loch. The one thing I try to keep telling myself is – never underestimate the return journey, but I did. I really struggled with this as the Loch is in the region of 2 ½ miles long, which I didn't handle very well after the descent. (Another lesson learned)

IMG_4075ts.jpg
The view looking back along Loch Turret

However, another step taken to gauge my fitness and how my joints stand up to this punishment has been taken and hopefully another step to conquering my first Munro. Painkillers were needed on the Sunday/ Monday/ Tuesday though so long way to go clearly.
TSIVES
Walker

Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Stage 2 of my Munro quest - Conquering a Corbett

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue May 12, 2015 9:46 pm

Enjoyed reading this, I hope your fitness programme goes to plan and that fewer painkillers are needed next time :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby dannymarsh2008 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:54 am

Nice report and some cracking pictures, seems like it was worth taking all your equipment after all!

Would echo the recommendation for Ben Chonzie. One of my first (of very few) Munro's but was pretty easy. If you get a nice day for it I reckon it would be a great way to start.
dannymarsh2008
Munro compleatist

Munros:26   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed May 13, 2015 10:05 am

Good on you :clap: :clap: You will make one of the easier Munros no bother :) Some nice photographs there, you picked a good day. Onwards and upwards, now for the next one. Once you get used to the poles you won't leave home without them, very useful for river crossings, peat hag manoeuvres and coming down wet grassy slopes and many more uses.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby TSIVES » Wed May 13, 2015 9:31 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Enjoyed reading this, I hope your fitness programme goes to plan and that fewer painkillers are needed next time :clap:
Cheers, glad you enjoyed the read. Fewer painkillers would certainlt help, I'm rattling when I walk :D
TSIVES
Walker

Postby TSIVES » Wed May 13, 2015 9:34 pm

RTC wrote:Well done. If you can manage Auchnafree Hill there are lots of Munros you can do. In fact, Ben Chonzie, across the valley from Auchnafree hill is possibly an easier walk if you start from near Comrie.
Thanks, I'm sure I read somewhere that stated Ben Chonzie was an easier option so pleased you've confirmed it.
TSIVES
Walker

Postby TSIVES » Wed May 13, 2015 9:38 pm

dannymarsh2008 wrote:Nice report and some cracking pictures, seems like it was worth taking all your equipment after all!

Would echo the recommendation for Ben Chonzie. One of my first (of very few) Munro's but was pretty easy. If you get a nice day for it I reckon it would be a great way to start.
It seems I could have cracked my first Munro just a stones throw away, appreciate your input.
TSIVES
Walker

Postby TSIVES » Wed May 13, 2015 9:45 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Good on you :clap: :clap: You will make one of the easier Munros no bother :) Some nice photographs there, you picked a good day. Onwards and upwards, now for the next one. Once you get used to the poles you won't leave home without them, very useful for river crossings, peat hag manoeuvres and coming down wet grassy slopes and many more uses.
Appreciate the encouragement, thank you. I must say I was impressed with the difference the poles made, now a permanent feature I would envisage.
TSIVES
Walker

Postby Silverhill » Wed May 13, 2015 9:57 pm

Step by step is the way to do it. Congratulations on your achievement! :clap:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby TSIVES » Wed May 13, 2015 10:43 pm

Silverhill wrote:Step by step is the way to do it. Congratulations on your achievement! :clap:
Thank you. Working my way up, or step by step is exactly what I intend to do to bag this Munro later in year. :)
TSIVES
Walker

Postby teaandpies » Wed May 13, 2015 10:50 pm

Good stuff :clap:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby Sarah86 » Fri May 15, 2015 2:12 pm

I started walking that one with my sister last year but we ran out of time as she had to get back but boy was that section tiring after you turn off Loch Turret! I have only done 10 munros but agree with what others are saying Ben Chonzie from Glen Lednock is no more difficult.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby TSIVES » Fri May 15, 2015 6:36 pm

teaandpies wrote:Good stuff :clap:
Thanks teaandpies.
TSIVES
Walker

Postby TSIVES » Fri May 15, 2015 6:42 pm

Sarah86 wrote:I started walking that one with my sister last year but we ran out of time as she had to get back but boy was that section tiring after you turn off Loch Turret! I have only done 10 munros but agree with what others are saying Ben Chonzie from Glen Lednock is no more difficult.
I'm glad someone else can confirm the walk is tiring, its not just me then :? I can't ignore the positive comments about Ben Chonzie so will check it out. Thanks.
TSIVES
Walker

Postby rockhopper » Sat May 16, 2015 12:14 pm

Well done :thumbup:
First Ben A'an and now Auchnafree - looks like the programme is working even if challenging at times - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland