walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Five from Glen Ey

Five from Glen Ey

Postby Mattymatt » Fri May 15, 2015 10:23 pm

Route description: Beinn Iutharn Mhòr and Càrn Bhac, Inverey

Munros included on this walk: An Socach (Braemar), Beinn Iutharn Mhòr, Càrn an Rìgh, Càrn Bhac, Glas Tulaichean

Date walked: 14/05/2015

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 40 km

Ascent: 1700m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is my first walk report on walk highlands. I've been interested to read many reports and have found some of them very useful, so i thought it was about time i chipped in.

I've been eyeing (no pun intended) up these 5 hills for a while, but wasn't confident I could do them all in a day, however kennyg's report gave me some hope that it was achievable, and the forecast was fairly bombproof, so i gave it a go. Here's the route:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Glen Ey Five 002.jpg

I set off from Inverey at 7.22am and it took about 75 minutes of ever so slightly uphill trundling on my cheap, two ton mountain bike to reach the ruined lodge at Altanour. I found this hard work, but it's months since i was last on a bike. Ditched the bike, bike repair kit and emergency twix etc here to collect later.

I couldn't see much of a path so i climbed W and then NW over shallow heathery slopes, (scaring off many red deer in the process) to the col between Carn Bhac and Carn Creagach, where a path materialized and took me easily to the first munro of the day, getting there at 09.55:
The Glen Ey Five 021.jpg

From here it looked a long way to Beinn Iutharn Mhor, and the going really wasn't made any easier by these horrible peat hags:
The Glen Ey Five 025.jpg

But it was worth the effort (eventually) and after a steep climb up the side of BIM's northern ridge there were splendid views northwards to the Cairngorms;
The Glen Ey Five 029.jpg

Got to the top of BIM at around 11.34am, but didn't hang about. Headed south and traversed SW around Mam nan Carn's northwestern slopes to reach the path at the foot of Carn an Righ. Stashed the pack and slogged up to the summit cairn, great views from the summit cairn to the next hill; Glas Tulaichen:
The Glen Ey Five 037.jpg

Retraced my steps, picked up the pack at the col and the pretty good path Eastish for about a mile before crossing the burn southwards and picking up GT's north ridge. (I must confess that at this point i was in two minds about bagging this one today - feeling a bit pooped). However, it only took half an hour or so (crossing one patch of snow):
The Glen Ey Five 039.jpg

The GT summit trig, was reached at 2.15pm, where i was welcomed by Mr & Mrs Ptarmigan:
The Glen Ey Five 044.jpg

All that remained now was to collect my pack from the handy pack-hook (see image below), and walk back to the bike - but this looked like a mind-alteringly long way - the bike being on the far side of An Socach, which is the grey capped hill beyond and to the right of Loch nan Eun, seen here:
The Glen Ey Five 055.jpg

Over an hour later I was slogging up the final ascent of the day, An Socach's steep southern slope, and i do believe I actually swore once or twice:
The Glen Ey Five 061.jpg

Reached the top of An Socach at about 3.45pm, and had a long look at the way out, as seen here:
The Glen Ey Five 065.jpg

Then followed a very steep but fast heathery descent to the river, and in the absence of any decent stepping stones i got sodden feet, but didn't really care by then. I reached the Lodge / bike at 4.39pm, scoffed the twix, glugged the sprite, and got on the bike. The cycle out was mostly a freewheel, just occasional pedalling required - a real joy at the end of a demanding but very rewarding day out. Got back to the car at 5.18pm.

If you have lots of daylight, lots of stamina, start early and don't care when you finish, give it a go. Tremendous day out.
Mattymatt
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:13
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:13   

Re: Five from Glen Ey

Postby scottishkennyg » Sun May 17, 2015 6:44 pm

Nice one Matt..I know what you mean with the cycle in bit..hard work but great on the way out. Grand day you had there. Cheers K
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby dogplodder » Sun May 17, 2015 8:44 pm

Even with the cycle in and out that is one BIG walk. :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Jock McJock » Mon May 18, 2015 7:29 am

Cheers for posting, heading there this week to do that route minus Glas T and An Socach as I've already done them. How bad is the crappy bit between Carn Bhac and BLM? Can't make my mind up what way to go round lol. Get the crap out the way first or leave it until the end?
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Mattymatt » Mon May 18, 2015 8:33 am

Jock McJock wrote:Cheers for posting, heading there this week to do that route minus Glas T and An Socach as I've already done them. How bad is the crappy bit between Carn Bhac and BLM? Can't make my mind up what way to go round lol. Get the crap out the way first or leave it until the end?

It wasn't really all that bad, though there has been a couple of very dry days. It was just a case of being patient and avoiding the worst bits. I would get it out of the way first!
Mattymatt
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:13
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:13   

Postby Jock McJock » Mon May 18, 2015 8:56 am

Cheers, think I'll take your advice and get it out the way first lol :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby jarvis-1 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:10 am

Hi Buddy, just wanted to say Cheers for this report. Myself and two of my friends followed roughly the same route yesterday to bag these five. Long hard day and my garmin had us showing 44km and 2034mt ascents. Crackin walk though my legs are still recovering lol. Cheers again. :D
jarvis-1
Mountaineer

Munros:250   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland