walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Driesh from Glen Prosen

Driesh from Glen Prosen

Postby Sabbathstevie » Mon May 18, 2015 2:22 pm

Time to draw once more upon the wealth of knowledge and experience that is this forum!

I've still got a few hills yet to claim in my "home" territory round the mounth and have constructed as many routes as possible to avoid the usual "bag as many in one go" approaches which I often find miss some of the best features.

I've climbed Mayar twice from the usual, wonderful Corrie Fee approach but both times missed out on Driesh because of my walking partners, so if possible I'd like to grab Driesh from a different approach. I know it can be done from Glen Prosen, and since that's the only Angus glen I've yet to explore that seems the perfect solution. I'd like to combine it however with some of the ridge that divides glens Prosen and Clova - that always looked to be quite tantalising when driving down the latter.

My questions are -

1) What is the parking like at the end of the public road in Glen Prosen; and

2) Any pointers on how best to get from there up to the aforementioned ridge (ideally some way to the south east so I can enjoy the ridge a little en route to Driesh? I've plotted a route that seems to head up a track past Cramie and then into the forest, before striking up onto the ridge. Has anyone done similar, or can spot anything that looks awry about this approach?

driesh.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As always, any thoughts will be greatly appreciated! As a more unusual route, I might even break my recent TR silence and post the results up here once completed!

Thanks,
Stevie
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:10

Re: Driesh from Glen Prosen

Postby basscadet » Mon May 18, 2015 2:30 pm

I did Dreish from Glen Prosen. No trouble parking, its quite a quiet wee glen.
I went up the same way as you have for descent, and it was easy enough.. I had planned to go over and do mayar, but got scuppered by a whiteout, and a compass, that switched polarity somehow during the walk, so the north arrow pointed south :shock: Found myself back at dreish summit after an hour of floundering around in snow, and retreated back to the car by the same route.. :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Sabbathstevie » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:54 pm

Thanks BC! :thumbup: At least I know the parking is fine!
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:35 pm

Your route looks fine to me: Google Maps aerial imagery shows a track over Mount Bouie to Cairn Inks.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby man in black » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:11 pm

This is my preferred route up Driesh. I prefer this route due to path being in decent condition rather than the Kilbo from Glen Doll which must be the worst path known to man. As mentioned there is parking available just past Prosen Lodge. I've done this route 5 times. Easy walk in. I've walked up to Kilbo ruin then up the shank of drumwhallow then over to Driesh. Or you can head up the shank of Driesh. Loads of options and it only takes 4 to 5 hours. You can even take a bike up to Old Craig then head up to Kilbo/Driesh circuit if you fancy a quick outing. Love it.... :D
man in black
Munro compleatist

Fionas:4   

Postby Sabbathstevie » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:20 am

Nice - thanks for the further responses guys, much appreciated!

Good to know that the going on my planned return down either the shank of Driesh or Shank of Drumwhallo will be good, though surprised no-one else has taken my planned route up past Cramie and eventually on to the long(ish) ridge that flanks one side of upper Glen Clova! Seems to me to be the most obvious way to add some scenic drama to this munro, save for the obvious Corrie Fee approach of course!
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion