walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Satmap active 12 vs Garmin 64s

Satmap active 12 vs Garmin 64s

Postby scoob999 » Sun May 17, 2015 11:39 am

Unfortunately I'm in the market for a new gps :sick:
I know all i need to about the Garmin but need more info on the Satmap

1 What is there world base map like? we are doing more and more traveling so would be using it abroad and I know you can't ad OSM mapping to it yet?

2 Can you use the unit in conjunction with memory map? all stored on my laptop. ETC transfer routes/tracks? I believe you can't use the maps offline. Also can you transfer a route from Google earth to the device?

3 Worried about waterproof issues, It's not listed as being as waterproof as the Garmin and I've seen a waterproof case is recommended for use

4 Can the unit be used one handed or do you need two? really like the idea of a bigger screen but the above 3 points are heading me back to Garmin

Thanks in advance :D
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Re: Satmap active 12 vs Garmin 64s

Postby weaselmaster » Mon May 18, 2015 12:21 am

Can't answer most of your questions scoob :roll:
It isn't waterproof and I've had 2 units wrecked by getting wet. Use an aquapac bag for it, is ok
One handed would be alright - why - what u doing with the other hand???

I think the world mapping is 1:1000000 which is probably not a great deal of use. Easy to make up GPX routes for though.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby spiderwebb » Mon May 18, 2015 11:35 am

My preference would be to stick with Garmin but then I've always liked a proper map.

I can appreciate the use of a map on screen but in my opinion of those I've seen still prefer a map. Trouble with a screen is you have to scroll left/right up/down to view over an area, its like looking with blinkers to me. Bigger screen yes, that would help, like an Ipad or similar, but then it reaches a point where you may as well have a folded map.

I've never gone for a map GPS either, for the same reasons as above, screen size is too small to be of any use, hence my choice of the Etrex 10, purely for Waypoints and location as and when needed.

I know a few who swear by Viewranger or Satmap. but not for me. Waterproof, doubtful although there are ways to keep damp to a minimum with use of drybags etc.

Satmap I didn't like the buttons etc, something about it seemed cheap, which it isn't. the same money would buy a hell of a lot of maps and a GPS :D

Find a 26 inch screen that can be folded up to the size of a map and I might be converted, well almost, its still technology (as is a GPS) and it can fail, temperatures affect batteries etc.

I think the further into technology with this stuff we get the more detached we become from understanding the basics, map, compass, pacing, timings etc.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby scoob999 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:06 pm

weaselmaster wrote:Can't answer most of your questions scoob :roll:
It isn't waterproof and I've had 2 units wrecked by getting wet. Use an aquapac bag for it, is ok
One handed would be alright - why - what u doing with the other hand???

I think the world mapping is 1:1000000 which is probably not a great deal of use. Easy to make up GPX routes for though.

Cheers, you're the only person so far to admit they're no waterproof :clap:

As for my other hand, it'll be busy holding my........................................... Pocket Wind Anemometer :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Postby Andy74G » Tue May 19, 2015 6:39 am

Hi
I've owned a Satmap 12 for the last year. Have'nt felt the need to purchase any other maps yet as the 1:50 sale OS base map has been fine , I forked out the extra £40 for the waterproof cover but it makes pressing buttons etc awkward but it does it job in protecting it. Don't by the screen protector's from them as the price is a rip off EBay sell them cheaper & they don't fit under the waterproof cover. I've have had difficulty getting my computer to recognise my Satmap so gave up trying to plan routes on it , so I just plan them on the on the device which can take a while if it's a long route. I ended up printing off the online manual which helps. There's a lot of features on it that I'm just not using to their full potential either .
Andy74G
Mountaineer

Munros:54   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:4

Postby weaselmaster » Tue May 19, 2015 8:15 am

scoob999 wrote:
As for my other hand, it'll be busy holding my........................................... Pocket Wind Anemometer :lol:

Of course!
We were using one of those at the top of Morrone on Sunday and the wind blew the wee fan device right out of the anemometer :lol:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby scoob999 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:03 pm

Decided to stick with Garmin :D
The ability to add free maps and birds eye imagery and being simple to use along with being 100% weather proof was the deal maker :D

Thanks all for the input, much appreciated :D
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Postby simon-b » Sun May 24, 2015 8:10 am

Looks like you've already made up your mind scoob. But if anyone else is interested in your question about using Satmap with Memory-map, it can be done. You need to download a free program from Satmap's website called Satsync, which can transfer GPX files between GPS and computer. So you need to save routes from M-m as GPX files. Likewise, you can upload such files from the GPS and open them in M-m. But as far as I know, Satsync is only available for Windows and Mac. And I don't think the issues Andy has had are unique.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby jamesb63 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:08 am

I use the Satmap 12 and find it simple to use and understand its a good solid unit
I use with the silicon protector all the time and don't find any issues using the buttons
been out in some all day downpours and its been great (so far )
For downloading and uploading route satsync is the way and that is simplicity in itself
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk