walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Dava Way (the long, long route)

Should the old railway lines be reinstated?

Yes, definitely... but what about the walk!!
48%
No, No, happy walking on the old lines
52%

Total votes : 29

The Dava Way (the long, long route)

Postby andrewl7642 » Wed May 20, 2015 12:34 am

Route description: Dava Way

Date walked: 13/05/2015

Time taken: 4 days

Distance: 96 km

Ascent: 502m

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

56 mile walk on the Moray Way, starting from Fochabers and finishing at Forres, passing through Craigellachie, Dufftown, Aberlour, Ballindalloch, Grantown-On-Spey, Dava and Dunphail.
4 days walking and 3 nights camping.

The Moray Way is made up of three long distance routes: The Speyside Way (Buckie to Aviemore), The Dava Way (Grantown-on-Spey to Forres) and the Moray Coast Trail (Forres to Cullen). Beginning with the Speyside Way in 2013, I have now completed the full circuit, minus the Tomintoul spur of the Speyside Way. All of my reports are available on my WalkHighlands blog.

Speyside Way - September 2013
Moray Coast Trail - July 2014
Dava Way - May 2015

I had been meaning to complete the Dava Way since last September (2014) but due to the location of the route it is slightly awkward for me to get to by public transport. I starting planning and worked out my options:

(a) I could take a train to Inverness, a second train to Aviemore and then catch a bus to Grantown-on-Spey, walk the route the following day and catch the train back to Aberdeen from Forres. (wasting a whole day travelling and spending a lot of money).

(b) I could walk from Aviemore via the Speyside Way up to Grantown.

(c) Options (a) or (b) in reverse, starting from Forres.

(d) I could catch a bus directly from Aberdeen to Fochabers where I could pick up the Speyside Way and walk down to Grantown-on-Spey over a couple of days, then head North on the Dava Way up to Forres where I could board the train back to Aberdeen.

I decided on the later option and booked a cheap advance ticket for my return journey.
I would be returning home from Forres on Saturday afternoon.

Wednesday lunchtime I caught my bus to Fochabers, and upon arrival (about 2:30pm) I immediately started walking the Speyside Way, heading South for Craigellachie where I would spend my first night. (13 miles)

Setting off from Fochabers

splendid views along the way after trailing through the forest.

reaching Craigellachie after a rather long walk, the bar was extremely tempting.

all pitched up for the night at Fiddich Park, I had the campsite all to myself

it stayed dry for a change and I got a cosy little fire going using wood that was lying about

On Thursday I walked the Dufftown route to Aberlour before continuing on the old railway line to Ballindalloch Station where I spent my second night. (about 20 miles)

heading off to Dufftown

was hoping for a re-fill in Dufftown!

arrival at Dufftown Station - now home to the "Whisky Train"

heading over the hills and through the woods to Aberlour

just a quick dash into the Co-op for supplies then I was off again, in some kinda rush, heading for Ballindalloch Station

Aberlour Station

passing through Tamdhu Station, next stop Blacksboat...

shortly arriving Ballindalloch Station...

now arriving Ballindalloch Station, please remember your luggage and mind the step

once again I had the campsite all to myself, absolute bliss!

Friday, was my longest day walking 14 miles, through woodland and countryside to reach Grantown-on-Spey where I would start the Dava Way (my main intention). Then I had to walk another 10 or so miles on Dava Way to be on schedule for my train the following day. (Also to find a suitable place to camp).

passing through the countryside towards Grantown, many wee gates to push open, lots of fun!

some lovely views before entering the woods again

passing through Cromdale station - soaked to my skin as I got caught in a heavy shower but luckily it cleared up once approaching Grantown

One final walk in the woods to arrive in Grantown-on-Spey

I didn't stop long in Grantown, it was early Friday evening when I arrived and there was a lot of "normal" people and youths hanging about so I shot through like a Virgin Pendelino (to prevent any funny stares), after a quick visit to the co-op for some much needed supplies, of course! Then I head up around the back of the campsite to find the start of the Dava Way.

finally making my appointment with The Dava Way

following the old line to Dava

not far now

passing Lady Catherine's Halt

this guy was my only company for the whole evening, he was very quiet

sun begins to set as I kept walking, had to be at least 10 miles in

creepy area as I approach Dava

After a few hours walking I passed through Dava, a school forest plantation, with a few homes dotted about. The walk leaves the old line here and passes through the forest. Unfortunately all the old stations between Grantown and Forres have now become family homes, so wasn't able to get close for a picture without looking like a peeping Tom.

creepy old platform

creepy old shelter!! all locked up

About 11 miles into the Dava Way I finally found a small area where I could wild camp, under the trees, at the side of the path, just in the nick of time aswell as it was beginning to get dark, wet... and very windy.

I got pitched up before enjoying a well earned meal, I could not be bothered pluttering about boiling water for the Hot Chocolate, I just wanted to fall asleep before the Goblins came.

It got scary at one point when I woke up to the sound of a dog barking nearby, I'm not normally scared of dogs but when you're out in the wild you don't know how well tamed that dog is, or even if it IS a dog!! :shock:
Anyhoos It didn't show up and I eventually managed to rest.

Saturday morning dawned and I was up bright and early and on the road by 7am, (so unlike me) I had a train to catch from Forres at 14:52 and I wasn't going to miss it. I must of had about 14 miles left to walk.

breakfast on the go!

I passed a couple of old railway worker's shelters, one of which has recently been refurbished as a half-way hut which I thought was pretty cool. It would be a life saver in heavy rain.

approaching half-way hut

inside the halfway hut - many old photographs and information relating to the old railway line and the Moray Way... and a free Beer made from Beetroot..... which I left!

I'll pass

Further on there are a few more old shelters and an old ruin called Bogeney, then Bogeney bridge and the Divie viaduct before shortly arriving at Dunphail.

Bogeney

Crossing Divie Viaduct

Breathing place at Dunphail

Dunphail is about the halfway mark of the Dava Way, then the old track continues through the countryside up to Forres, passing the pretty Scurrybridge.

Hello Mr. Cow... MOOOOOOOOO!

Scurrypool bridge... the perfect place for a picnic.

amost there

last few steps

some lovely scenery as you enter Forres

Forres Station - One of the many train stations on the route that actually has trains!!

I FINALLY arrived in Forres about an hour before my train was due, perfect timing if you ask me. I had time to pop into the loos, get changed and make myself smell nice again before returning to society. :D

I recommend this walk!
Last edited by andrewl7642 on Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrewl7642
Scrambler

Munros:16   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: The Dava Way (the long, long route)

Postby larry groo » Wed May 20, 2015 4:23 pm

Brilliant!!

A fine walk... Love the Dava Way.

Thanks for posting.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
larry groo

Postby andrewl7642 » Wed May 20, 2015 8:19 pm

Thanks Larry. I sped through it like a train
andrewl7642
Scrambler

Munros:16   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Bonzo » Thu May 21, 2015 9:46 am

Enjoyed that. Good read.

Why do Co-op stores always manage to make nice looking towns look like **** holes?
Bonzo
Mountain Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:147   

Postby prog99 » Thu May 21, 2015 2:08 pm

Thanks. I grew up in Forres but even then dont know the Dava way well (it didn't officially exist back in the day). But I did bivvy under Scurrypool bridge as a teenager when we went out camping for a weekend, nice to see some photos of it.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Gordie12 » Thu May 21, 2015 5:52 pm

I have never walked this far to get to a walk :shock: :shock: :shock:

Glad you enjoyed The Dava Way, I've done it twice now (once in daylight and once at night) and enjoyed both visits. If you find bits of it creepy you better not do the Ghost Train Walk (that was the night one). The chap with the gun must be new - don't remember seeing him before.

Also good to see the photos of the Speyside Way as it brings back happy memories from a couple of years ago (except for all those bloomin kissing gates - they drove me up the wall).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes