walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Skye Day 4, the hill that has everything

Skye Day 4, the hill that has everything

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed May 20, 2015 8:45 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bruach na Frìthe

Date walked: 18/05/2015

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 939m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The original plan was to split the reporting duties between the 5 of us, especially as there will be 5 reports to compose. Anyway, Simon has come up with 7 excuses as to why he should be excused writing duties, I won't list them as I would hate to embarass him - only joking :lol:
So here we go again day 4 on Skye and yet again the forecast 'could be better', the meeting place was at Sligachan and today's target was to be Bruach na Frithe, which I can almost pronounce - probably not to Simon's standard as he is the resident hill expert, especially when it comes to pronunciation :lol: :lol:
Once again it was a 9am start and it was actually quite pleasant, we had been advised by Paddy (guide) to bring our ice axes as he was anticipating things to get 'interesting' higher up :lol: We asked if crampons would be required and the polite reply was - if we needed crampons we would be turning back, sounds a bit ominous :roll:
We set off from the parking area at Sligachan and followed a well established path that was a tad damp in places, but nothing to register it on the bog factor scale.

ImageDSCF1885 by Martin Beswick, quick pose before we hit the path

ImageDSCF1888 by Martin Beswick, first of the showers

ImageDSCF1893 by Martin Beswick, water feature

The plan was to go up via the north ridge and descend by Fionn Choire, the next few shots are of the ascent up the north ridge, which as we got higher became rather spectacular 8)

ImageDSCF1899 by Martin Beswick, going up

ImageDSCF1903 by Martin Beswick, looking back to Sligachan

ImageDSCF1906 by Martin Beswick, still going up

ImageDSCF1912 by Martin Beswick, North Ridge, looking pretty interesting

ImageDSCF1913 by Martin Beswick,

At this point I will apologise again for the 'rear end' shots, for obvious reasons I couldn't be at the front so I was "tail-end-Charlie", not so good going up, but ideal for the descents :lol: The north ridge was an interesting and excellent route up, the views the east were enough to motivate anyone to carry on :lol:

ImageDSCF1917 by Martin Beswick, starting to get interesting

ImageDSCF1920 by Martin Beswick,

ImageDSCF1925 by Martin Beswick, still ascending

ImageDSCF1932 by Martin Beswick,

ImageDSCF1935 by Martin Beswick, not sure what Paddy was pointing at?

ImageDSCF1937 by Martin Beswick,

ImageDSCF1938 by Martin Beswick, Must have missed something, as everyone is looking!

ImageDSCF1943 by Martin Beswick,

ImageDSCF1946 by Martin Beswick, looking back down the ridge

ImageDSCF1947 by Martin Beswick, we have now reached the snow line, quite a bit further to go yet and this is the middle of May :o

ImageDSCF1951 by Martin Beswick, still going up

ImageDSCF1963 by Martin Beswick, another shot looking back - how did we get up that :shock:

ImageDSCF1964 by Martin Beswick,

ImageDSCF1968 by Martin Beswick, Andy, a picture of elegance and grace :lol:

ImageDSCF1971 by Martin Beswick, one last shot back before we entered the cloud

ImageDSCF1974 by Martin Beswick, One of the bigger summits on the island

The summit was reached and like most of the summits we had to take it in turn to 'touch the top', yet again we were denied any views. I have a feeling that the summit was rather exposed, so the cloud may have been our friend. As it was rather chilly on top, we didn't hang around. The route up had only a slight dusting of snow, the route down was the opposite. As the hill was quite popular the footsteps in the snow were easy to follow and the deep ones avoided :lol:
The descent was fairly straight forward, but great care had to be taken especially on the rocky sections with a thin layer of snow.

ImageDSCF1978 by Martin Beswick, and onto the descent, one obvious addition to the equation, more and deeper white stuff :lol:

ImageDSCF1981 by Martin Beswick, Follow the leader down

ImageDSCF1986 by Martin Beswick, much deeper snow now

ImageDSCF1989 by Martin Beswick, Then out of the clag this monstrocity appears - WOW 8)

ImageDSCF1992 by Martin Beswick, looking back

ImageDSCF1996 by Martin Beswick, Simon taking a picture of Paddy taking a picture etc, etc :roll:

ImageDSCF1997 by Martin Beswick, zoom to folk on the north ridge

ImageDSCF1998 by Martin Beswick, 6 guys we met on the summit from Burnley, on a drinking sorry walking holiday :lol:

ImageDSCF2001 by Martin Beswick, zoom shot looking at Carbost

ImageDSCF2005 by Martin Beswick, still looks amazing 8)

ImageDSCF2006 by Martin Beswick,

ImageDSCF2016 by Martin Beswick, busy hill

ImageDSCF2023 by Martin Beswick,

ImageDSCF2037 by Martin Beswick,

ImageDSCF2040 by Martin Beswick,

ImageDSCF2049 by Martin Beswick, Nice new bridge

ImageDSCF2050 by Martin Beswick, Water feature

Another great day like all 5 days that will be remembered for along time, especially as I have the photo's to look back at.
As this is my last public Skye WR I would like to thank Paddy, you were an absolute star, the thing that probably worries you the most is we WILL be back. Also thanks to Simon for inviting me and 'letting' me do another report, also to Karen, Jimmy and Andy. I think we helped each other through one or two tough moments, maybe slightly more than one or two :lol: I think we even kept Paddy amused with some of our banter.
And finally (bit like a speech) huge thanks to Karen, for the candles, I will let Karen explain that story :wink:
I now hand the baton over to Karen who "volunteered" to compose the final report, I won't steal her thunder suffice to say it was an epic 8)
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Skye Day 4, the hill that has everything

Postby AJNicholls » Wed May 20, 2015 9:16 pm

This really was an awesome day.
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Postby NevJB » Wed May 20, 2015 9:25 pm

Amazing - hard to believe it is in the second half of May.
NevJB
Walker

Munros:55   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:13   

Postby simon-b » Wed May 20, 2015 9:49 pm

That was a great day. Although the snow kept us off Gillean and Basteir, we got pretty close to the Basteir Tooth during the descent, which was quite amazing. And I don't think either we or Paddy had realised we'd get a bit of winter skills training as a bonus!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby weaselmaster » Wed May 20, 2015 10:16 pm

Martin - that report has really depressed me.
I'm about to set off on my *summer* holidays to climb the corbetts of sutherland and skye and it looks like i'm going to have to pack winter boots and crampons as well as ice axe. Surely something not right there :lol:

Looked a good day out - we did the route in reverse, about the same time last year in glorious sunshine and *no snow*
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Mal Grey » Wed May 20, 2015 10:29 pm

Thanks for reawakening the jealousy that I'd just suppressed after reading Day 1 (have I missed Days 2 & 3 somehow?). Great report, brings back some good memories.

Seeing the Bhasteir Tooth come looming at you out of the cloud is a memorable moment. Took me a good 2 seconds to say "sod that, I'm dropping down and coming at it from the other side, not climbing Naismith's route almost straight up".
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby AJNicholls » Wed May 20, 2015 10:46 pm

Mal Grey wrote:have I missed Days 2 & 3 somehow?

Day 3 is for me to write up but am having difficulties with Flickr and an iPad rather than a proper computer whilst here in Fort Bill.
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu May 21, 2015 9:32 am

weaselmaster wrote:Martin - that report has really depressed me. I'm about to set off on my *summer* holidays to climb the corbetts of sutherland and skye and it looks like i'm going to have to pack winter boots and crampons as well as ice axe. Surely something not right there :lol: Looked a good day out - we did the route in reverse, about the same time last year in glorious sunshine and *no snow*

Al, weather is bizarre at the moment, even Paddy said in 20 years of guiding he couldn't remember a May this cold :(

Mal Grey wrote:Thanks for reawakening the jealousy that I'd just suppressed after reading Day 1 (have I missed Days 2 & 3 somehow?). Great report, brings back some good memories.

Hi Mal, I will be submitting Day 2 soon, as the "course photographer - unofficial" we are struggling to find a way of posting photo's from someone else's Flickr account :?
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Mal Grey » Thu May 21, 2015 10:20 am

AJNicholls wrote:
Mal Grey wrote:have I missed Days 2 & 3 somehow?

Day 3 is for me to write up but am having difficulties with Flickr and an iPad rather than a proper computer whilst here in Fort Bill.

Ha, no worries, hope the weather is good up there so you can get on the hill instead of tech-wrangling!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Thu May 21, 2015 4:20 pm

looks a grand day! :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby riverlodge » Thu May 21, 2015 5:00 pm

if i have managed to add the pic correctly, shows conditions just a few days earlier on the 14th May.
Attachments
ridge2.jpg
Bealach na lice
riverlodge
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   

Postby simon-b » Thu May 21, 2015 5:51 pm

We actually descended directly below the north faces of the Basteir Tooth and Am Basteir, and down via Coire a' Basteir. Must have been the gabbro telling us we were elsewhere :lol:. Thank goodness we were with Paddy, none of us could have found our own way in the Cuillin.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri May 22, 2015 9:21 am

Superb stuff Martin, glad to see your enjoying your Skye experience :clap: :clap: I have not done the North ridge as yet, looks interesting. Question is rock and a bit of snow or bog, water in abundance, squelch I'd take the rock snow anytime.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby AnnieMacD » Fri May 22, 2015 2:21 pm

What an amazing experience - and in May. I've been following your progress and looking out the window every day and thinking, "Oh no, another crap day for FF and gang!" That descent down by the side of Am Basteir looks interesting.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby BlackPanther » Tue May 26, 2015 10:27 am

Lucky you guys, you could use the bypass path on BnF western ridge! We had to stick to the very crest because of slushy snow. I almost had a heart attack :lol:

Glad to see you all enjoying the scrambles :D Shame that weather didn't exactly play up. How typically Scottish...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland