walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Unwelcoming, unhelpful but fine summit views without the dog

Unwelcoming, unhelpful but fine summit views without the dog

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat May 23, 2015 7:39 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bidein Clann Raonaild

Date walked: 19/05/2015

Time taken: 1.33 hours

Distance: 3.37 km

Ascent: 267m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Desperate to get any hill of sorts done after a blank day on the Monday, Tuesday morning gave me an opportunity to hopefully get this hill done in before another heavy shower came about. I had travelled from Strathcarron Hotel where my daughter and friend had put me up for the night after their third day on the run on the Cape Wrath Trail. Today I was to meet up with them at Kinlochewe so this wee Sub2 fitted the bill perfectly, a quick up and down in the dry with hopefully some views of the Torridon Giants from the summit.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1a.JPG
Not the best of start with this unwelcoming notice at the start of the walk. Starting point A832 079584.
1.JPG
After passing through the gate looking back down the track
2.JPG
Very shortly you come to this telecommunication mast on your left, the track splits in three with you taking the one on the right. The track is undulating and heads in the direction you are after through the forestry area, there is lots of lying water everywhere after all the recent rainfall
3.JPG
The track through the trees
4.JPG
The track kicks off to the right up the hill after you come face to face with this unhelpful gate with wooden extension piece on top in the middle of a deer fence, something which would not bear any weight at all. If you have come with a dog forget it this hill is not for you. After climbing the narrow wooden slats to the side taking care not to rip your trousers on projecting wire in the process.
5.JPG
Looking up the track which takes you all the way to the summit. By now the waterproofs had been put on as a heavy shower passed by
6.JPG
Looking back down the track and Loch a Chroisg in the distance
7.JPG
Ben Eighe
8.JPG
Large summit cairn reached in 45mins, the telecommunications mast is on the right out of picture, I thought Ben Eighe looked nicer
9.JPG
Ben Eighe another photo, for Black Panther, one of her favourite hills
10.JPG
Summit cairn with the Loch in the distance (Loch a Chroisg)
11.JPG
Ben Eighe from Kinlochewe
12.JPG
Ben Eighe 2 from Kinlochewe
13.JPG
Ben Eighe Zoomed from Kinlochewe. This hill on a fine evening would make a wonderful stroll, easily done by unfit walkers within two hours, such a pity access is being made so difficult by others. Right to roam!?
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Unwelcoming, unhelpful but fine summit views without the

Postby Gordie12 » Sat May 23, 2015 10:29 pm

Hi Rod

Doesn't look overly welcoming but good views to be had.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby malky_c » Sun May 24, 2015 12:32 pm

Great views from this hill :) . I started from the high point on the A832. There's a gate through the fence there and no unwelcoming signs - in fact I wasn't aware of the locked gates etc on the track. Rougher ground though.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun May 24, 2015 1:19 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Hi Rod

Doesn't look overly welcoming but good views to be had.

Great views, just wait for the right day Gordie, checkout what malky_c says re starting point. I stuck to the track since it had been such a wet month beforehand :wink:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun May 24, 2015 1:21 pm

Nice one Rod :clap: It's not much fun waiting for a weather window :lol:
Out of interest what does 1.33 hours equate to? Just so we all know what we have to beat :lol: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun May 24, 2015 1:25 pm

RTC wrote:Nice report and photos. I went up this hill in April by your route. Best bit about walk was view from top.

Your spot on RTC about the views it's a pity some folk might be put off with the signage and locked gate as from the summit the views are superb.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun May 24, 2015 1:28 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Nice one Rod :clap: It's not much fun waiting for a weather window :lol:
Out of interest what does 1.33 hours equate to? Just so we all know what we have to beat :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: 1hour 20mins including a 3min climb over the gate, and no I didn't rip my breeks :lol: :lol: You guys certainly did a good turn on Skye considering the weather, Compleation on the cards now :wink:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby RocksRock » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:36 pm

There is an alternative route to defeat the gates but its a bigger and steeper climb. In Kinlochewe, go to the east side of hotel, cross the road bridge. There is a path going south between the forestry and the river. Follow it, turn up the edge of forest and climb! 25K map says path runs out about 1 km west of summit. Haven't tried it myself but the way can be seen clearly from the nice café on the Torridon road.
RocksRock

Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:26   Islands:8

Postby Sgurr » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:26 pm

I think they have changed the signage since we were there. We decided that as neither of us were children, it was OK, since it just said "Parents are advised to warn children of the dangers of entering this site."

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:35 am

RocksRock wrote:There is an alternative route to defeat the gates but its a bigger and steeper climb. In Kinlochewe, go to the east side of hotel, cross the road bridge. There is a path going south between the forestry and the river. Follow it, turn up the edge of forest and climb! 25K map says path runs out about 1 km west of summit. Haven't tried it myself but the way can be seen clearly from the nice café on the Torridon road.

Hi RocksRock I went down to the West side and waited for my Daughter to arrive from Strathcarron on the Cape Wrath trail as it comes out of the gate next to the river at Kinlochewe where you suggested. More climbing and more soakings put me off :lol: so decided to go the easy way up the track or so I thought.
ab.JPG
View from the West side of hill from Kinlochewe
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:39 am

Sgurr wrote:I think they have changed the signage since we were there. We decided that as neither of us were children, it was OK, since it just said "Parents are advised to warn children of the dangers of entering this site."

I see that now Sgurr, I also note the replacement aluminium gate. I t looks like the old wooden gate was well and truly secured by your picture :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:18 am

Those ladder stiles are awkward for arthritic hips if the supporting posts are too close together! :shock:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:01 pm

dogplodder wrote:Those ladder stiles are awkward for arthritic hips if the supporting posts are too close together! :shock:

Not the easiest even if your pretty mobile :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby edweirdo » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:35 pm

So just had a walk up there with herself as I thought it would help her recovery from her hip replacement! We were not overly concerned with the authorized access only sign at the start and made reasonable progress to the big gate. This looked problematic for her but then I noticed a hole had been cut in the fence to the left looking uphill which myself and the dog nipped through and she was able to follow as well without too much problem. :D All went well till we arrived back down at this fence but she was unable to go back through the hole in this direction and could not climb the gate. :shock: After half an hour I decided I better check if I could do anything about the chain with its many padlocks and discovered that it was not actually chained up properly at all! :lol: After a few un-lady-like sweary words :shock: aimed at the gate (I think!) she got through and all ended well. Anyway her fitness and recovery is going well and its a wee hill we might otherwise not have gone near. :clap:
edweirdo
Munro compleatist

Fionas:70   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:58   

Postby Hills4dogs » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:43 pm

Thanks for this report, just done the route today and can confirm that the hole in the deer fence next to the second gate is still open, allowing easy access for dogs!
Attachments
20211227_121048.jpg
Hills4dogs
Mountain Walker

Munros:123   Corbetts:16
Fionas:19   
Sub 2000:52   
Islands:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland