walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Lyon

Glen Lyon

Postby rockhopper » Tue May 26, 2015 11:12 pm

Route description: Meall Buidhe & Sròn a' Choire Chnapanich, Pubil

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall Buidhe, Meall nam Maigheach, Meall nan Subh, Sron a' Choire Chnapanich

Date walked: 23/05/2015

Time taken: 7.25 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1600m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Original plan was for a camping trip to Glen Lyon to take in the six corbetts – with a worsening forecast for the Sunday, took the decision to curtail the trip to a day and return some time later. Took a bit longer than expected after passing through Killin due to the number of sheep and lambs on and at the side of the road.

Saturday morning - Meall Buidhe, Sron a'Choire Chnapanich

Glen Lyon 23may2015 Buidhe activelog.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Set off westwards along the path above the dam past more sheep

View over the dam

Continued on the path until reaching a dry stane dyke. Just after it, headed up the hillside with Meall Daill coming into view.

View towards Meall Buidhe

Loch Lyon

Decided against the direct route up due to some snow patches and the extra descent/ascent

Image[/url]

Headed up and round to the west – view looking back

Still some deep snow patches around

Then on to the summit

Stopped for food and photos before heading off eastwards towards Sron a'Choire Chnapanich

Went past a couple of wee lochans

Snow patches on the edge above the corrie – wasn’t sure how far they extended so decided on the more direct route down (to the left of the snow patch)

Crossed the burn at the bottom then headed up avoiding most of the peat hags on the way. Looking back the snow patch wasn’t as big as I thought it might be.

Straightforward walk to the summit

Blues skies were being replaced by cloud rolling in from the west – getting a bit overcast

Short break then headed south

Old fence posts as a guide – with the trees in the distance on the other side of the glen as a target

Back at the car, it was just past midday. Drove a few miles down the road to Kenknock and parked close to the Lochan Learg nan Lunn for some lunch. The road was pot holed in a number of places but driveable albeit did have to drop to first gear in places.

Saturday afternoon [1] - Meall nan Subh

Glen Lyon 23may2015 Subh activelog.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Left the car and walked a wee bit down the road to find a suitable starting point. Then headed uphill to the left of some crags.

Looking back towards Beinn Sheasgarnich

Up over Creag na h-lolaire

Summit in sight over some peat hags

Looking down to Pubil

Stronuich reservoir

Cairn

Getting ever more cloudy

Headed back down to the car meeting another walker on his way up. He advised against driving down to Kenknock as the road surface was very badly potholed - cited one point where the road on either side of the middle was almost non existent with the middle section being badly marked by cars’ sumps.

Drove back up to Glen Lyon then part way down the Ben Lawers road - parked in a wee lay-by (recalled malkyC mentioning this previously) at NN581422 as had spotted that the space further to the south had been filled earlier by campers.

Saturday afternoon [2] - Meall nam Maigheach

Glen Lyon 23may2015 Maigheach activelog.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Left the car and set off northwards towards a dry stane dyke.

Then just followed to the right of the dyke north-east then north to its end.

Lochan na Lairige

Meall nan Tarmachan

Meall Corranaich

Got to the end of the dyke then turned east for a very short walk to the summit.

An Stuc etal

Short walk back to the dry stane dyke

Followed it back down to the road

Lamb beside its mother on the way down

Got changed and drove back home in plenty of time for dinner......and the Eurovision song contest :shock: :wink:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Glen Lyon

Postby malky_c » Wed May 27, 2015 9:16 am

Better weather down there than we had in the north :) . I remember doing exactly this set of walks a couple of years ago - wanted to include Beinn nan Oighreag as well, but couldn't find the energy.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby kev_russ » Wed May 27, 2015 10:19 am

A wee busy and braw day :)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby basscadet » Wed May 27, 2015 10:47 am

Oh lovely photae of the Dotterel.. Must of been quite near her nest for her to stick around :)

I have a soft spot for Glen Lyon - well overdue a visit back - looked lovely :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby BlackPanther » Wed May 27, 2015 2:54 pm

Some good Corbetts to add to my wishlist... I was told that Meall nan Subh was a boring, boggy lump, but it doesn't look like it in your report :wink:

I also have a soft spot for Lyon, last week we climbed Meall Garbh & Greigh from Invervar. Much more interesting route than the classic approach from Loch Tay, I think. And no problems with parking!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby RiverSong » Wed May 27, 2015 3:11 pm

I have a soft spot for Glen Lyon too, really enjoyed this report. Lovely photos.
RiverSong
Walker

Postby Mountainlove » Wed May 27, 2015 3:49 pm

Its great to read about all the Corbetts. Those you did looked like a great few . Thanks for sharing and some great pictures as well!! :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Gordie12 » Wed May 27, 2015 8:27 pm

Hell of a day that RH.

It's given me a few ideas as I've only done the Munros in this part of the country.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby PeteR » Wed May 27, 2015 8:31 pm

I as on Meall nan Subh myself on Bank Holiday Monday. Walked up from Kenknock, rather than destroy my car's suspension to gain the height more quickly. Then returned down beside a fence/dry stone wall that landed me back at the parking area. Really enjoyed the hill :D Gives some great views all round too :D Might get some photos posted up at some point :wink:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby simon-b » Wed May 27, 2015 10:28 pm

Nice to see some unfamiliar (to me) summits in a familiar area. And good to see clear weather around there too. The glens and lochs of the Southern Highlands make great starting points for walks, so there's a lot more to the region than just the hills.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Collaciotach » Wed May 27, 2015 10:58 pm

A good wander there and lucky with the weather .......been desperate poor in the West !
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby mountain thyme » Wed May 27, 2015 11:51 pm

Youve been busy RH :) Nice one
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby dogplodder » Thu May 28, 2015 10:41 am

Looks like you got same weather as we did in Glen Feshie - brilliant blue in morning to heavy grey in afternoon but still with good views under cloud blanket. Good report. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland