walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Skye Week - Days 6 & 7

Skye Week - Days 6 & 7

Postby NevJB » Fri May 29, 2015 1:14 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Dearg and the In Pinn

Munros included on this walk: Inaccessible Pinnacle

Date walked: 14/05/2015

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 1065m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Thursday 14 May 2015

In Pinn

Awoke to a glorious morning, although I have to confess we were all a bit tired; well, Dave tried to look tired to make Neill and I feel better. Fuelled with porridge we set out for the Memorial Hut where we were to meet Paddy. By the time I had loaded a helmet, harness and then rope on to my pack it seemed weigh an awful lot – at least the rope did.

Up the path we went and I knew within 40 paces that this was probably going to be a day too far for me. My legs were tired from yesterday and were telling me that they were not keen on a 1000 m slog up and [worst still] down. Despite Neill taking over carrying the rope and Paddy’s encouragement by the time we reached Coire na Banachditch proper I had made my decision. ‘A man has to know his limitations’ and I do.

63_Neill_On way up to Inn Pinn.jpg

64_Rhum from Inn Pinn Path.jpg
Rhum

Paddy said that they now only needed one rope so Neill was relieved not to have to carry the second rope – he was also tired, but is gifted with a good deal more grit and determination than I. So, relieved and perfectly happy I ambled back down to the car with the prospect of a lazy day taking pictures. Paddy said they would be down at 4:00 pm at the earliest.

65_On the Way Up Sgurr Dearg.jpg

65a_Dave Nearing the Summit of Sgurr Dearg.jpg
Dave - Not far from the top of Sgùrr Dearg

66_On Sgurr Dearg Looking West.jpg
Looking west

67_Looking North along the Cuillin.jpg
Looking north along the Cuillin ridge

68_The Inn Pinn_1.jpg
In Pinn from the north

69_Neill starting up the Inn Pinn.jpg
Neill starting up the first pitch

70_Neill starting up the Inn Pinn_2.jpg
A little bit further

71_Neill nearing the top of the first pitch_Inn Pinn.jpg
Nearing the top of the first pitch

73_Neill nearing the top of the first pitch_Inn Pinn_2.jpg
Almost there

74_Neill nearing the top of the second pitch_Inn Pinn.jpg
On the second pitch

75_Neill at the top of the Inn Pinn.jpg
Neill at the top of the Inn Pinn

76_Neill preparing to abseil off the Inn Pinn.jpg
Neill getting ready to abseil down

77_Neill abseilling off the Inn Pinn_2.jpg
Part-way down

78_Neill safely off the Inn Pinn.jpg
Safely down

79_The Inn Pinn_2.jpg
In Pinn from the south

At 4:30 pm they returned. Neill looked fairly cream-crackered, but had happy grin on his face – the boy done good as you will see from the pics. Dave decided that he didn’t want anything to do the Pinn, but as ever, looked as fresh as a daisy. Once supplied with that life restoring nectar – a celebratory beer – we bid our farewells to Paddy and drove back to Shorefield.

Showered and suited we dined out at the Old Inn, Carbost – a great meal and beer to match. We now know that it was Fife Flyer and friends at the table beside us – having the same trouble pronouncing the names of peaks. The subsequent accounts of their adventures have made great reading – glad I didn’t have to battle against the elements as they did.

80_The Cuillin from Outside Carbost.jpg
Our last look at the Cuillin

Friday 15 May 2015

We left Shorefield around 10:30 am just as it started to rain – the Cuillin looked angry once again and we wondered how Paddy’s new group would fare – we now know – a sterling effort I would say.

Had to drive Dave around to Dundonnell to rejoin his family and then get back to Fort William to catch the sleeper. Whilst passing through the Ben Eighe nature reserve by Loch Maree we got a fleeting glimpse of a pine martin as it shot across the road – brightened up what was a fairly wet and dismal day.

So that’s it, another year. If I live to about 150 I may get close to compleating, but who cares as we just feel lucky that we are able to do this each year.
NevJB
Walker

Munros:55   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:13   

Re: Skye Week - Days 6 & 7

Postby Mantog » Fri May 29, 2015 1:50 pm

These are the most 'explanatory' pictures I've ever seen of the Inn Pinn, thanks for posting!
Mantog
Munro compleatist

Munros:45   Corbetts:1
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:21   

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri May 29, 2015 6:56 pm

That was superb, enjoyed the picture of the 'Pin' does look pretty scary, but with Paddy's guidance am sure it will be a doddle :lol:
Sorry I never twigged on your earlier reports :oops:
By the looks of things we did quite well to get 8 Munro's in our 5 days, however we have the easy ones left (we wish) :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby kmai1961 » Sat May 30, 2015 6:36 am

Hi, Nev -- great reports for your time with Paddy on Skye. It was nice to see what the view was from a'Ghreadaidh, a'Mhadaidh, and Banachdich -- I'd wondered what we'd see if we could see.

And agree that the In Pinn photos are terrific, and give a real sense of what's involved in getting to the top of it.

Nice to (sort of) meet you in Carbost!

Karen
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:91   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:51   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Postby onsen » Sat May 30, 2015 9:22 am

Enjoyed your Skye Week series, NevJB, hope to spend some time there too one day....love the pics.
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby NevJB » Sat May 30, 2015 10:43 am

Thank you all for the kind words.

By the looks of things we did quite well to get 8 Munro's in our 5 days, however we have the easy ones left (we wish) :lol:

You did brilliantly considering everything that was thrown at you - I was expecting to hear about a 'plague of frogs' appearing - you got all the other stuff :clap:
NevJB
Walker

Munros:55   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:13   

Postby Jaywizz » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:44 pm

Really great photos of the Inn Pinn - I've been very close twice (first time put off by a queue and having had a tiring day before we got there, second time cloud/damp that never cleared - although the forecast predicted it would!) Now inspired by your superb photos - so maybe it will be third time lucky for me. Thank you for posting.
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:34
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:167   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

Postby basscadet » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:38 pm

I have enjoyed all your reports about the week.. And somehow you have made the inn pinn look infinately more scary than the reality! loved it all, thanks for posting 8)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland