walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First walk of the year

First walk of the year

Postby smudger831 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:37 pm

Route description: Beinn Chabhair, from Inverarnan

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Chabhair

Date walked: 24/04/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1010m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Finally the weather has cleared up a bit to get up into the hills without the need for an axe so a last minute choice was made to do Beinn Chabhair. This is one of the last Loch Lomond ones I have to do and I thought it should be an easy enough one. Ha!
Me and my friend (who had travelled up from Stockport the day before to help me celebrate my birthday-cheers Paul) left the Drovers car park about 0900 and after crossing the bridge and going past Beinglas Farm campsite we hit the path proper. After a few choice words about the steepness straight away we got stuck in! Quick word of warning- late night and lots of rum are not the best preperation for Munro bagging.
We got to the top of the first steep bit and had a long walk ahead of us across open moorland - one or two squidgy bits here) until we the reached the Lochan Beinn Chabhair.
DSCN0591.JPG
At the Lochan

From here we headed North East, picking up the path proper near Meall nan Tarmachan. The winding path was easy enough to follow from this point. Or should have been. Unfortunately I decided to see what the view was like from the top of one of the rocky knolls. You know, the ones it tells you to avoid on the Walkhighlands route description. No problems getting off them, it was just an extra bit of unwarranted climbing.
DSCN0605.JPG
The winding path upwards

We finally reached the top and enjoyed the views, having a quick chat with some of the many others we saw out doing this today, before heading back down a bit for some shelter and to have something to eat.
DSCN0598.JPG
At the top at last!

DSCN0599.JPG
On the way back down

The slog out was even harder than the one in and just passed in a blur, and the thought of what the steep bit right at the end again was going to do to our knees was in the back of our minds. However, we just kept remembering we were parked at the Drovers and there would be liquid refreshment available when we finally did make it back down.
All in all a great day out, weather stayed kind with the skies clearing at the top for some really nice views.
smudger831
Ambler

Munros:21   Corbetts:1

Re: First walk of the year

Postby mountain coward » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:44 am

I did ALL the rocky knolls on the way to it - big mistake!! I was completely knackered by the time I got to the main event! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby malky_c » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:48 am

Whew! Glad I'm not the only one who's done that then! I went over all of those then got annoyed when I got to the main hill, as they weren't necessary at all. Probably very nice on a good day though.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby smudger831 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:32 pm

Thanks for those replies. Nice to know I'm not the only eejit out there. :lol:
smudger831
Ambler

Munros:21   Corbetts:1

Postby magicdin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:09 pm

went along that full ridge many years ago

lochan a'chaisteil is really worth the visit
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby mountain coward » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:41 pm

Yeah - i saw that lochan and got a nice photo of it - it is very nice - probably the only bright spot on the tour of the subsidiary lumps though!
mountain coward

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland